Honda Odyssey - Page 20 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-13-2015, 10:18 AM   #267

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Our's is a 2014 Odyssey and a 1991 Scamp 16 and there's no problem opening the hatch when connected. I think I posted a picture of it.

Another factor against clearing parts of the Scamp on our Odyssey is our ball is deeper into the receiver. I push it in to the receiver as far as it will go and drilled a new hole for the lock through the ball mount. I do this to get the ball closer to the axle and reduce the effect of tongue weight. It's just a few percent but it's free.

Our rise is only 2 inches and our jack is about a foot from the ball location. I was more concerned about the Propane tank than the hitch.

there's a picture in Post 35 of this thread.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:41 AM   #268
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream owner
Ontario
Sienna fuel useage

We just filled up our 1st tank of gas in our new to us 2009 Sienna. The air conditioning was on the whole time and there was 4 of us in the van.

We did about 70% highway miles/30% city, and average 25MPG USgals. The stop and go city driving really eats up the fuel so guessing on a 100% highway drive we would be at the 30MPG range.

Agree with Norm. Mini Vans are great vehicles. We are on our 4th.

PS.... The soccer mom stigma thing is a mental hangup we don't clutter our minds with.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:38 AM   #269

Florida
Trailer Rear Camera

We had a visit from fellow Scampers who just purchased an Odyssey, partially because of this thread. They love the space and power.

They were wiser than us and bought a model up from ours. Their model has a camera built into their passenger side mirror that provides an wonderful image of the passenger's side lane whenever you put your passenger's side directional signal on.

We looked at this version but did not buy it. It turns out it is better than I thought. You don't need to activate the directional signal. In the end of the directional signal stalk there's a little button. Push it and the right side camera activates.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-12-2015, 11:45 AM   #270

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Ours has that right side camera and we really like it.
Just wish it was on the left side as well.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:49 PM   #271

Florida
We just drove up the coast to the Machias Blueberry Festival, have on Interstate and 1/2 on twisty, hilly Route 1 We drove 245 miles and averaged 19.2 mpg towing our Scamp 16.

I should have said calculated. DIsplayed it was 19.7

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-13-2015, 04:41 PM   #272
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream owner
Ontario
That's a good number Norm. You should be happy with that considering your total rig weight is around 7 to 7,500lbs.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:51 PM   #273

Florida
Drove to town

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
That's a good number Norm. You should be happy with that considering your total rig weight is around 7 to 7,500lbs.
After getting here and filling up we drove to town twice abot a distance of 80 miles. We've averaged 29.9 miles on the hilly, curvy roads of coastal Maine...no traffic lights and relatively light traffic.

Between towing and non-towing we should do OK with the Odyssey.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-23-2015, 04:20 PM   #274

Florida
Moving to Florida

We've managed to condense 50 years of stuff into our Odyssey and Scamp 16.

Please no punishing me for what I'm going to write (and no calling the BC police Carol) but I expect we're overweight. When we weighed the Odyssey it had 400 lbs in it though by the time we left I'm sure we added another 100.

Similarly the trailer weighed it at 2900 pounds, about 300 pounds over normal. The tongue weight is still about 200 lbs.

All that said, we are not disconnecting at night, just pure tow miles. We are covering ground like never before attempting to reach FL in 5 days, about 3 times our best ever. We have driven a little more than 800 miles, just filled up and have averaged 18.5 mile per gallon.

Our indicted mpgs were 18.6 on two fill-ups and 17.8 on the other, suggesting the indicated mpg were relatively accurate.

The Odyssey has been a great tow vehicle.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-23-2015, 04:41 PM   #275

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
And don't look at no stinking electronic things either!
Old 10-23-2015, 05:16 PM   #276

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
And don't look at no stinking electronic things either!
JD,

The location of the monitor for the trailer's rear camera is visible in my perpherial vision, I don't have to move eyes or head to see it. I heard the BC police are considering locating a monitor just where I have mine.

It's interesting, that most police cars have a full blown laptop facing the driver's position... makes on wonder about the goose and the gander.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-23-2015, 05:39 PM   #277

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Laws are heading your way. First they came for the Commercial Motor Vehicle Drivers . . .

New Mobile Phone Restriction Rule For Commercial Motor Vehicle DriversOverview and Background

A new FMCSA rule restricts the use of all hand-held mobile devices by drivers of commercial motor vehicles (CMVs). This rulemaking restricts a CMV driver from holding a mobile device to make a call, or dialing by pressing more than a single button. CMV drivers who use a mobile phone while driving can only use a hands-free phone located in close proximity.
Research commissioned by FMCSA shows that the odds of being involved in a safety-critical event (e.g., crash, near-crash, unintentional lane deviation) are 6 times greater for CMV drivers who engage in dialing a mobile phone while driving than for those who do not. Dialing drivers took their eyes off the forward roadway for an average of 3.8 seconds. At 55 mph (or 80.7 feet per second), this equates to a driver traveling 306 feet, the approximate length of a football field, without looking at the roadway!

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/driver-saf...ons-fact-sheet
Old 10-24-2015, 04:27 AM   #278

Name: Sands
Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16'
Arizona
Many new cell phones (and new cars!) have voice activation features. It is easy: All one has to do is say "Call Karen" and the phone says "Call Darren?" to which you replay "No; Call Karen!". The phone says "Call Carlin?". You say "Call KAREN!". The phone says "Call Caring Incorporated?". "CALL KAREN you stupid *#$% phone!!". "I'm sorry, there is no listing for that name."

Be sure to pull over to the side of the road before bashing the phone repeatedly against the dash, as a good 'dash-bash' requires several minutes, and could result in traveling a lot more than 306 feet while distracted.
Old 10-24-2015, 04:50 AM   #279
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sands View Post
Many new cell phones (and new cars!) have voice activation features. It is easy: All one has to do is say "Call Karen" and the phone says "Call Darren?" to which you replay "No; Call Karen!". The phone says "Call Carlin?". You say "Call KAREN!". The phone says "Call Caring Incorporated?". "CALL KAREN you stupid *#$% phone!!". "I'm sorry, there is no listing for that name."

You definitely nailed that one. Can't speak for other vehicles but this is a perfect description of Ford's Synch system, which seemingly cannot differentiate between the words "on" and "off" no matter how carefull pronounced they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 10-24-2015, 05:49 AM   #280

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
You definitely nailed that one. Can't speak for other vehicles but this is a perfect description of Ford's Synch system, which seemingly cannot differentiate between the words "on" and "off" no matter how carefull pronounced they are.
And Toyota's system also (and Garmin's voice command too at times)... it is so frustrating at times that I m actually much more distracted by trying to use it instead of just reaching over and pushing the right button.

As for Norm's comment about police having computer monitors for the driver's.. yes there is an exception for LEOs, just like there is an exception that allows them to violate traffic laws when needed (although some abuse the privilege). It is a necessary trade off in order for them to pursue their mission to protect life and property, which most people think is rather important, because traditional voice radio is too inefficient and subject to error. After all, when you are in a collision and hurt, or your house was just broken into.. do you really want the officer pulling over to first to get the details?

That being said, I have investigated at least one traffic collision in which the police officer was at fault as he was looking at the screen and ran into another car.