Honda Odyssey - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2014, 09:26 AM   #81

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Odyssey Balance

I know the Odyssey mileage for our Interstate trip was unbelievable to many of you but none the less true. Our around town mileage, a town with a normal population density exceeding India, and even higher in the summer, we get 22-24 mpg.

Now we don't drive through the main beach front until after Labor Day even though our favorite fried clam place is on the other end of town. We try to stick to the roads the tourists don't use, though not always possible because we live two blocks from the ocean.

When I look at (Mc)Denny's link that drops our mileage experience into the more normal Odyssey range.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:29 AM   #82

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Denny,

There's no doubt the technology has made a huge difference.

I do think I'm a conservative driver, it came with age. As well one of our biggest monthly, variable expenses is fuel. The CRV was very good at towing our series of trailers varying between 20-22 mpg depending on the trailer. The difference was significant for us.

When we first started RVing we were weekend campers in our motor home. The mileage was irrelevant. Gas was a lot less expensive, we were working and it was infrequent, sort of like an expensive meal.

Continually on the road gas is a bigger deal. Gas has doubled in price since 2008, sort of like food prices, we're not working just spending and we're traveling all the time.

It's really important for us to stay on the road. I find travel to be good for our mental and physical health.

Thank you for the link. I believe driving style, driving type (city, highway, towing) and personal psyche (though in part that belongs in driving style) are all part of the equation.

On I-495 at rush hour there are plenty of crazies darting in and out, usually causing flow disruption. We attempt to be as steady as possible.
Norm,
Since you guys are traveling all of the time, if you will travel to Arkansas, I will give you some fresh garden tomatoes! I grow them with out any chemicals, so you can taste the real flavor of the tomato. They will not cost you anything and they are good for your health! No cholesterol or fats! I will even throw in a few extra for you to enjoy on the road!
Now, that is a deal that you can't beat!
Thanks,

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:34 AM   #83

Florida
Carl, Thank you. We'll be going thru AR next year, probably at least in the fall. Ginny's a loves garden tomatoes and I'm of Italian extraction.... Hope to see you in 2015.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-06-2014, 11:12 AM   #84

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Right now we can't imagine what we will do with all the available space. Ginny quite seriously says we could camp in the Odyssey. In Newfoundland we met a couple who were from Manitoba camping in their minivan.
I camp in mine.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...oom-28487.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...sey-21492.html
Old 08-06-2014, 11:22 AM   #85
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
The Odyssey is huge.

We are now considering ways to use the Odyssey's space.
I don't think anyone ever complained about having to much space Norm. With over 3/4 ton of payload you could pack a lot of stuff in the back of the van if you desired. When we towed a pop up with one at times we put our bikes back there as well as comfy camp chairs. When we traveled to the west coast we removed the two center bucket seats and folded down the rear seat. Made for lots of room but your oddy lets you drop all seats into the floor. Such a huge advantage over the SUV's IMHO.

ie... My sis has this huge, heavy, Hummer H2. Such a large vehicle with utility space about the same as a Subby Forester.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:36 AM   #86

Florida
Wayne, Frederick in the post previous to your shows that the Odyssey's second row comes out easily. The second row does not fold into the floor. He has made a mount for the second row seats to be used as campground seats.

The floor between the first and second row contains the spare tire.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-06-2014, 11:39 AM   #87
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Thnxs Norm for the info. They are the same as our Sienna. Now I know the Oddys are the same for sure.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:35 PM   #88

Florida
I checked out the Odysseys transmission cooler more carefully today. It has almost the same frontal area as the Odyssey's two radiators. Surprised by this.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-12-2014, 01:28 PM   #89

Florida
Our second long highway trip to day, 217 miles of mostly highway driving through heavy traffic to Connecticut. We used 6.04 gallons for 35.9 mpg.

Again this was higher than the indicated reading of 33.7 mpg.

35.9 mpg is an amazing number for a car of this size and weight with a powerful V-6.

We would have never hoped for this and would have been happy with the EPA highway number of 28 mpg.

Two highway trips both over 35 mpg. One more and we call that science.

Before someone asks we were not towing. However it could drop a lot when towing and we'd still be happy campers.

Mpgs are ound town have been in the 22-24 mpg range,

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-12-2014, 06:40 PM   #90

Florida
The key to the high fuel economy is the ability of the Odyssey to run on 3 or 4 or 6 cylinders depending on load.

Another attribute job this engine design is a flat torque curve.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-13-2014, 07:32 AM   #91

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Are you sure that's the key? I'm wondering if you or Ginny prayed for good fuel economy prior to buying that van. Because 35 mpg with a minivan seems downright miraculous to me! I'm not doubting your result, just wondering if there's some divine intervention going on in your life!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:13 AM   #92

Florida
Mike.

I agree it is surprising to average over 35 mpg on the highway. Actually it seems to get as good or better mileage than the CRV. Higher on the highway and about the same around town. If it matched the CRV towing we would be joyous.

We never even hoped for this level of performance hence I've been trying to figure it out. There's a lot of magic going on in this engine from controlling the number of cylinders from selecting between two cam profiles to provide a flat torque curve. They use two separate cam profiles to control valve action to get a broader torque curve, the first of system of its kind.

It appears that in addition to engine ability constancy of driving, staying right and just cruising along makes a difference.

Of course we wonder about the cost of complexity with respect to reliability. It's amazing that an Odyssey with a 50% larger engine, a 33% heavier vehicle, a larger frontal area, gets 20% better highway mileage than our CRV. I feel the work of man is present here.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-13-2014, 08:27 AM   #93

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
I just came back from a 5000+ mile Odyssey trip pulling my 17' Spirit. Went up from Tx thru OK,KS,CO,WY,MT,UT,ID to Oregon and then back WA,ID,MT,WY,CO,KS,OK.
On the first leg I had cruise control on and averaged 13.x mpg. Woah. So then I used my foot as was able to keep the rpms where I wanted. I kept at 60mph on purpose the whole trip up and worst case was 16.5 to 17.5 mpg and that was through all the mountains in Wyoming, Montana and Utah. I was very happy. Several times on the highest peaks I slowed down to 45-50mph and the Honda just chugged up and down the passes so nicely. For the most part I didn't even know I was pulling anything. I did use a Viese wireless remote camera on the back with their 5 inch monitor on my dash and it was so great to see what was on my back door. As soon as I got there I did an oil change and one when I got back. Overall I am pleased with my results. JMO
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:01 AM   #94

Florida
Mike,
What year Odyssey do you have? Did you use D4 on the Odyssey? ANy comment about D4? For non-Odyssey people pushing D4 keeps you out of overdrive.

We'll publish our experience by the end of the month, heading up to Maine for a few days, short trip but should give us a ball park number..

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-13-2014, 12:04 PM   #95

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Norm, I have the answer for you. You were headed south and everybody knows that south is downhill so you were coasting the whole way. If this were Camelot, it would always be downhill both ways.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:09 PM   #96

Texas
Honda Odyssey

Mine is an 08 LX but no D4 button (had one on my 3/4 silverado truck though). I normally get 22-24 city/highway combined so I was pleased with the 16/17 mpg. Will probably get another one next go around but with the towing package. I ended up with a U-haul frame hitch and then ran all my own wiring for brakes etc. Mounted the black box accelerometer/decelerameter on the fuse block pull out door with the heavy duty plastic based Velcro. I bought these neat taps off eBay and they worked awesome. Also ran a relay switched battery lead for my + source so that it would cut off when I turned the ignition off. I didnt want to mess with Diodes or anything at this point. I know everyone does things differently. This was my way
Attached Thumbnails
tap.JPG  
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 08-13-2014, 01:34 PM   #97

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike A View Post
Mine is an 08 LX but no D4 button (had one on my 3/4 silverado truck though). I normally get 22-24 city/highway combined so I was pleased with the 16/17 mpg. Will probably get another one next go around but with the towing package. I ended up with a U-haul frame hitch and then ran all my own wiring for brakes etc. Mounted the black box accelerometer/decelerameter on the fuse block pull out door with the heavy duty plastic based Velcro. I bought these neat taps off eBay and they worked awesome. Also ran a relay switched battery lead for my + source so that it would cut off when I turned the ignition off. I didnt want to mess with Diodes or anything at this point. I know everyone does things differently. This was my way
Mike, Thanks for your post. The fuse taps are nice. On our Honda CRV there were a number of unused fuses, for options. I scraped off the plastic on a corner of a fuse and soldered on a wire for use on the brake controller and running power to the trailer connector.

I'll be buying some of the fuse taps to use with a display for the trailer's rear camera. We use a camera instead of extended mirrors.

I'be tried the D4 button around town. Of course it does nothing on the 6 speed because around town it never reaches 5th of 6th. Ginny just told me that the ECO light is helping her drive with more fuel efficiency, that's good since there's about a 2 mpg difference between us.

About 1/2 our miles have been highway and the remainder around town. Amazingly we're averaging 28-30 mpg combined. We are stunned. Of course we've only had it 2 weeks. We have been calculating our mileage and not using the gauge. It amazes us that so far the calculated mpg is always been higher than the gauge.

You probably saw we mounted our brake controller on the change compartment door. It can be flipped down when used. It's held on with a tywrap.

Thanks again the fuse taps are very helpful and more substantial then my solution.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #98

Florida
For those of you who are interested, the 5 fuse block taps for the Honda were only $10.49, free shipping.

Mike,

I used the etrailer video for the Odyssey, It showed how to get the wires through the fire wall.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-13-2014, 02:05 PM   #99

Name: Steve
Trailer: 16' Scamp
California
Smile Odyssey and 13' Scamp

Hi,
I've got a 2011 silver LX odyssey and I like it for the most part. When I bought it I wasn't planning on an RV, but lately I've been thinking about a 13' used Scamp.
Norm, you and Ginny are bold to tow a 16' Scamp, I figure if you can do that I can handle a 13.' I only have one major complaint about the Odyssey and that is it is very low to the ground. I have to be extra careful when I park it not to run a parking berm or curb up into the front bumper. The Ody is a nice mini van and I wish you years of great service. Oh, my mechanic who is a honda only expert told me to change the trans fluid every 15K or expect trouble. I am going 20K because I think the 15K is over doing it.

California Steve
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:25 PM   #100

Texas
I am curious as I thought that the black box had to be inline with the motion of the car so that the accelerometer would sense the start stop or slowing of the car and adjust the brake voltage accordingly. Thats why I mounted it down on the fuse panel. With it on the change box it is parallel to motion OR am I all wet and it does not matter. I plead ignorance on this and only throw it out as a question. Maybe diff manufacturers sense motion differently?? Anyway thanks and I will look up the etrailer mod for the Honda.
If you Rest, You Rust