Honda Odyssey - Page 9 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2014, 04:20 PM   #161

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Dave, I wouldn't mind having one. It's narrow enough to fit in the 'big' Odyssey.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:39 AM   #162

Florida
20.5 mpg for 160 mile trip today thru flat NC, on cruise at 55 mph, speed limit, route 17, flat, no wind.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-30-2014, 05:54 PM   #163

Name: Rachel
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Wisconsin
This is my first day on this site. My husband and I are retiring in the spring, selling the house, and taking off! We're planning on buying a 16-foot Scamp and are trying to decide which tow vehicle to get. So far we've narrowed it down to a Honda Odyssey or a Subaru Outback. Any advice on how to choose? Thanks!
Rachel P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:49 PM   #164

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Honda Odyssey

Honda Odyssey has more towing capacity than the Subaru. Depending on engine, Subaru capacity varies as does weight of Scamp 16, depending on whether it is standard or deluxe. Then there is the weight of stuff you put in trailer. My suggestion is to take a close look at the numbers and make a decision based on that. I personally wouldn't want to be "pushing" the towing limits of the tow vehicle and would want as much margin as possible. However, AWD of Subaru beneficial when white stuff is on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 10-30-2014, 07:01 PM   #165
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel P View Post
This is my first day on this site. My husband and I are retiring in the spring, selling the house, and taking off! We're planning on buying a 16-foot Scamp and are trying to decide which tow vehicle to get. So far we've narrowed it down to a Honda Odyssey or a Subaru Outback. Any advice on how to choose? Thanks!
If out on the road a lot the larger size of the Oddy would be nice. Fuel usage of the two vehicles would be similar. If you ever decide to get a larger trailer the Oddy is the vehicle of choice. The Sub's are nice but the Oddy has many advantages.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:41 PM   #166

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
For full timing, get the larger vehicle and the vehicle with more towing capability (van)! The only thing better about the Subaru would be the all wheel drive; the Ody wins the contest on all other counts. Realize that the Subaru's hitch weight limit is only 200 lb, so you'll always have to be careful with how you load the Scamp to keep it light up front. With the van, 350 lb is the hitch limit IIRC, so you can relax and forget about it.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:09 AM   #167

Florida
We've now have had a small tow vehicle, a 4 cylinder Honda CRV and now the 6 cylinder Honda Odyssey.

We travel 7 months a year and put on a lot of miles. When we traded in the CRV we had 225,000 miles on it and had towed everywhere. It was limited to 220 lbs on the tongue. It was never an issue for us and we have a loaded Scamp. You can see it under Preparing a 1991 Scamp in Modifications.

We purchased the Odyssey because Honda no longer made a manual transmission version. The Odyssey had a similar miles per gallon rating to the CRV. So far in limited driving the Odyssey gets better mileage not towing (36 on highways) and similar mileage towing (18-20 towing). Of course we only have 5,000 miles on the Odyssey.

The Odyssey is more comfortable, more spacious, quieter, easier to back up. Though it has 6 cylinders, it reduces the number to 4 or 3 depending on need. The reason for its great mileage. There is no sensation when it happens. My one concern is the potential effect on reliability. That said we've owned 7 Hondas with high mileage (all bought new) and they've never required a drive line repair.

The advantage of the CRV was higher clearance, limited 4 wheel drive, lower price. (though since they are so reliable and last a long time price versus time has made them a good deal).

In a few years we should be more definitive over the two but right now I would say Ginny made a good choice with the Odyssey. It is really huge, able to carry a 4x8 sheet of plywood with the door closed.

The rear door works great with the Odyssey, able to open even with the rock shield up.

By the way we bought the base model.

I hope I got it all. Please don't hesitate to ask anything.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-31-2014, 06:04 AM   #168

Name: Rachel
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Wisconsin
Thanks to everyone for all the thoughtful advice. We currently have a Honda Fit which has been a perfect car for our city driving. Before the Honda Fit we drove a Prius, so we are used to really good gas mileage and small cars. (And my husband relies on his bicycle to get everywhere until the snow starts.) And although my husband used to drive a city bus in Seattle, neither of us has towed anything. So we're feeling a bit overwhelmed with the decision of which big vehicle to buy. (Terms like "tongue weight" are brand new to us :-) But it sounds like the Odyssey is the way to go! I hope you mean it, Norm & Ginny, when you say "Don't hesitate to ask anything." Because we will have lots of questions coming up!! Thanks again everyone!
Rachel P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:08 AM   #169

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
I would consider the style of camping - where you are planning to go - to help you decide which tug to buy. If your plans include BLM land, forest service roads, etc., then the Subi with 4 wheel drive might be a better choice. If you are talking highways and commercial campgrounds, etc., then the Honda is a slam-dunk.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:21 AM   #170

Florida
We have completed a 186 mile run and have an indicated 20.1 mpg again on rt 17. Rt. 17 has a lot of small towns and stop lights but little traffic. Very good mileage.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-31-2014, 04:34 PM   #171

Florida
Gas is $2.69 in South Carolina.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-31-2014, 11:24 PM   #172

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
Honda Odyssey

Sadly, my first instinct is to say "isn't that cheap?!" I guess it's all relative, but was it that long ago that it was $.85?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 02:57 AM   #173

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Merritt View Post
Sadly, my first instinct is to say "isn't that cheap?!" I guess it's all relative, but was it that long ago that it was $.85?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have to agree with you but I go back a bit farther...30 cents and with gas wars it went to 22 cents. Oh those were the days. Funny story, when I got back from overseas military service gas was 55 cents. My Mom told me not to drive to much. Of course I didn't listen, I was paying over 3 bucks a gallon over there, 55 cents was give a away price here.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 04:46 AM   #174

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
I have to agree with you but I go back a bit farther...30 cents and with gas wars it went to 22 cents. Oh those were the days. Funny story, when I got back from overseas military service gas was 55 cents. My Mom told me not to drive to much. Of course I didn't listen, I was paying over 3 bucks a gallon over there, 55 cents was give a away price here.

As I recall, when gas was in the 30 cents a gallon price range the minimum wage was less than a buck!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 11-09-2014, 12:21 PM   #175

Florida
23.6mpg
We just did a 242 mile run, mostly interstate thru part of SC and most of GA,. We drove a little faster than normal and got better mileage. It displayed 21 mpg but calculated out to 23.6 mpg. Used 10.25 gallons.

Drove further than normal because we have a closing in FL.

Truly amazing for a V-6.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-10-2014, 06:05 PM   #176

Florida
Final Tally

We are at our FL destination. We drove 1,913 miles, purchased 100.1 gallons of gas and averaged 19.1 mpg. We are very pleased with that for a first trip. We expect it will improve some with time.

We learned that with the automatic we get better mileage on the Interestate than we do on non-Interstate roads like coastal route 17 where the mileage tended to be less, about 0.5 mpg lower.

We found that as we progressed southward the mileage improved, maybe we're figuring the car out better. It seemed to like to run at 62 mph best.

On the whole we were pleased with 19 mpg burning regular gas and happy with prices as low as $2.69/gallon. Truly thankful to all the drillers in ND.

This year we are staying put in FL. Our next big trip will be home and than hopefully another trek to NL.

We had a marvelous time in Charleston, SC at my 50th college reunion. If you haven't been to Charleston it is one of the best cities in the county. Truly a fine walk about city. Much of the kudos goes to a classmate, Joe Riley, who has been mayor for almost 40 years, winning numerous awards for transforming the city without destroying it's character.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-10-2014, 09:45 PM   #177

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
We are looking forward to your next Newfoundland installment.
Good mpgs and good that you made it safely to FL. Gas prices are at least improved.

I am trying to keep you two in mind when considering another trailer. We already have a 19' and it certainly seems impossible to us to get anything less than what we have. Plus, other trailers are tempting that have more this or that, and when does the two-footitis kind of thing stop. And do we need to stop it. The next one will be the last.... How many have said that, I wonder.

By the way, we get about 17 pulling our 19', better than most partly because it is a 4Runner and partly because we drive more slowly than many. We also use ECO.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:42 PM   #178

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Cathi... Our 13' Boler was our first trailer.
Our 5.0 Escape was our last trailer.
Our 5.0TA Escape was...well...
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:47 PM   #179

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Alf, I hope you can get many more. And I am quite positive they will be Escapes! And save a place for us at one of those Niagara deals. We will get there some time.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:22 AM   #180

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: Cathi... Our 13' Boler was our first trailer.
Our 5.0 Escape was our last trailer.
Our 5.0TA Escape was...well...
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Yes the 5.0 was the last one, the 5.0TA is the current one...

Sent from my XT1028 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote