Honda Odyssey - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2014, 06:14 PM   #41

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Wayne,

One big item for Ginny is the getting in and out. We rented a 'short' car recently and Ginny did not like it.

In her practical mode she thought getting an automatic would be good for an aging couple, particularly since we hope to keep it forever, and we'll be 82 in 10 years.

She loves the seating and the expansive front window; the seats remind her of the Bounder's seats, really comfortable.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:37 PM   #42

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
The salesman spent two hours going through the car with us. We needed it since our CRV did not have nearly the Odyssey' slevel of electroniucs- ten years is a really long time in electronic evolution.

He down loaded our phones in to the Odyssey and had us call each other and send messages. We had an incoming call yesterday.

The paddle switch below the phone switches allows you to move through menus with out taking your hand off the steering wheel.

We have managed to reprogram a lot of functions, for example shifting into park opens all the doors. All the little things that make it easier to use for us.

We're now considering how to organize the space behind the second row of seats. We're considering a shelf to allow us to put our chairs on the shelf and a few containers under the shelf.

We will be using the third row of seats later in August so now we're in the thing stage.
Norm,
Looks like your new tow has a lot of new bells and whistles! How long do you think it will take you to learn how everything in your Honda works?
At least you will have fun learning!
Thanks,

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:09 PM   #43

Florida
Prodigy 2 Brake Controller
The following pictures show our brake controller mounted to the Odyssey's change compartment. Non-toxic position closed, towing position open. A tywrap holds it in place.
Attached Thumbnails
1407006475400.jpg   1407006491373.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-02-2014, 01:32 PM   #44

Arkansas
Norm,
Great job! Did you install the brake controller or have someone else ,install it?
I have got to get one installed in my truck. But with all the additions in the truck extra space is very valuable! That is a good idea on your installation!
Thanks,

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Old 08-02-2014, 02:06 PM   #45

Florida
Etrailer brake controller installation video

I followed the following video. I had most of the pieces from the CRV except for the thermal breakers. I installed our Prodigy 2.

It took me longer than the video, partially because I do not have the convenience of a lift.

I believe etrailer has videos for a number of different vehicles.

If you can't see it here go to you tube or etrailer.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-02-2014, 02:14 PM   #46
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Nice job Norm.

Youtube vids have saved my bacon many times and saved me a pile of money.

Car repairs, home reno's, installing ceramic tile, learning the correct way to install and mud drywall, etc,etc,etc.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:35 PM   #47

Name: Gary and Ellen
Trailer: currently shopping
Texas
Norm,
I'm getting my Honda Odyssey ready to start towing. I've been to eTrailers.com and know the hitch I plan to get but I'm not sure about the electrical. I can get a nice harness from eTrailers that plugs into the Odyssey giving me a 4-wire towing connection but that doesn't support the brakes. I plan on installing a brake controller like you have. How did you handle getting to a 7-prong connector with your Odyssey? Do you have the plug permanently mounted to your Odyssey?

Thanks,
Gary
GaryandEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:13 PM   #48

Florida
Hitch and 7 pin connector
Gary,
I ordered the Honda's standard Odyssey Hitch and transmission cooler. They installed a Curt 7 pin connector. The Honda Hitch has a place for the connector to mount.

Etrailer sells a number of different 7 pin connectors. My Curt connector accepts the four pin connector leaving 4 wires for you to connect, only three are typically used.

Outside of the 4 pin connector there's a white wire that gets connected to the chassis near the connector. A blue wire that goes to the brake controller and is the power line to the trailer's brakes and a black wire that goes to the plus side of the tow vehicle's battery.

The latter three wires are all shown in the video in an earlier post.

There is one more yellow wire that comes out of the back of the connector that is optional.

Also the end of the video shows a wiring diagram.

In the video they show a connector that probably can be mounted on any Hitch. As well they sell a right angle mounting bracket.

As you"ll see I have permanently mounted the connector.

When you buy a hitch be sure to get the Hitch with a 2" receiver.

The location for my connector is the same place Honda would mount a 4 pin connector. The 4 pin connector is tucked in behind the plastic covering of the bumper after connection to the 7 pin connector.

Also mounting the hitch requires cutting the bottom of the plastic bumper, not visible from the rear.

I'm sure etrailer's installation will show this.

The hardest part of the installation was running the wire because I don't have access to a lift. I just drove it up on blocks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
1407017186905.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-02-2014, 04:15 PM   #49

Florida
Gary,
If I missed something please ask. Norm

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-03-2014, 07:53 AM   #50

Texas
Norm,
Thanks for the info and the picture was especially helpful. I started researching the OEM option and I might have a problem there. What I'm finding is the OEM Class III hitch for the 2004 Odyssey may be discontinued. It's available for 2005 so there is some difference. I'll call the dealer to get the real story. Can you measure the height from the ground to the center of your receiver so that I can compare it to the Curt and Hidden Hitch?

Thanks, Gary
Old 08-03-2014, 08:33 AM   #51

Florida
Gary,

To the center of the receiver opening it is 14.5 inches. It appears to be identical to the position on our Honda CRV.

The height isn't too critical. In our case we own a number of different ball mounts with different offsets.

The first post in the following link shows the variety of 7 pin connector, not the brand of our connector.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ems-65271.html

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-03-2014, 09:27 AM   #52

Texas
Thanks for the measurement. I like the OEM being tucked behind the bumper instead of below it. What I got for the other two options for my 2004 Odyssey:
Curt #C13068 is 13 1/2"
Hidden Hitch #87479 is 12"
Old 08-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #53

Name: David
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
Quote:
We ordered a 7 pin connector with our transmission cooler and hitch. We were surprised when we picked up the Odyssey that it had a 4 pin connector. They agreed to replace it with a 7 pin connector and did.

I told the dealer, and will write to Honda, that it's foolish to put a 4 pin connector on a vehicle rated to tow 3500 lbs. Are they encouraging towing without brakes?

Today I installed the brake controller by following an etrailer video that is very good. It appears that they have step by step videos for many vehicles.

I attached the brake controller to a driver's door side change compartment. In this location the controller is perpendicular to the floor when not in use and tipped towards the horizontal when in use. In either case it's not far from the steering wheel and easy to actuate.

I use a tywrap to hold the controller to the change compartment.

Wow! I was told that Honda has no 7 pin connector for the Odyssey. Can you share more. Would you happen to know a part number? Did that include a trickle charge wire?

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
DaMScampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:09 PM   #54

Florida
David,

Honda does not supply a 7 pin connector for the Odyssey. I personally find this strange if not neglectful and plan to write to the President of Honda about it. since we've been carrying on a towing dialog.

Since I ordered a 7 pin connector and the salesman did not know better they installed a Curt 7 pin to meet the sales agreement. I wired it for brakes and power. In both cases I put a 20 amp thermal breaker in the power and brake lines. It was relatively easy to do. I followed the Etrailer you tube video.

Etrailer suggested a 40 amp breaker for the power line, I installed a 20 amp beaker. My battery is usually fully charged because we have a solar panel and use little 12 volt power. If it doesn't work as I expect, a 40 amp is only $3-4.

I don't know the part number of the connector but it is very similar to the one in post 51 of this thread titled 7 pin problems. Somewhere in the thread I also reference the YouTube video for the Odyssey. Etrailer has a ton of these videos for different brands and years.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-03-2014, 07:14 PM   #55

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryandEllen View Post
Thanks for the measurement. I like the OEM being tucked behind the bumper instead of below it.
I didn't think that the factory put the receiver behind the bumper until 2005 at the earliest.
They were all below the bumper at first.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:31 PM   #56

Florida
The hitch is definitely behind the bumper but it does require the cutting of the bottom of the bumper's plastic. The bumper is a tube structure across the back of the Odyssey, plates up the side.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-04-2014, 09:33 AM   #57

Florida
Our first 100 mile interstate drive. Average might 36.5 might indicated, not calculated. Cylinder management is marvelous.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-04-2014, 09:52 AM   #58

Arkansas
Quote:
Our first 100 mile interstate drive. Average might 36.5 might indicated, not calculated. Cylinder management is marvelous.

Norm,
Was that pulling your Scamp?
Thanks,

Old 08-04-2014, 11:16 AM   #59

Florida
Might in my previous post should be miles per gallon. I was not towing the Scamp, probably later this month for Scamping.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-04-2014, 12:53 PM   #60

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
It had to be non-towing. If anyone could get 36 mpg while towing a Scamp with a minivan, we would all buy one of those minivans!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote