Honda Odyssey - Page 13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2015, 02:11 PM   #241

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Buck Hall Campgnd, Francis Marion Nat Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastsignal View Post
We camped at Buck Hall Campground in Francis Marion National Forest, last month. It's right off RT 17 about 30/35 miles north of Charleston, SC Site w/hookups=$20 less access pass=$10. And the camp host was in a 16' Casita.

Even if you are not spending the night there, it's a short access road to the campground off RT 17, so a pull-in to look around might be worthwhile for future reference. It's on the water--we liked it.

Oh, and Litchfield Restaurant, 12223 Ocean Hwy, RT 17., Pawley's Island, SC--open for breakfast & lunch (it's actually in a small town north of PI named Litchfield Beach) On the Left side of Rt 17 going north/east.

Going Rt 17 most of the way?, or the Outer Banks (ferries) route--US 70 to NC RT12, etc.?

Mark

We'll stay there next year thanks for the tip. We take 17 all the way. We're stopping to spend time with Ginny's sister at Surfside Beach and a check with my doctor in New Berne, NC.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:12 PM   #242

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We drove up through GA on I-95 and cut over to Charleston on Route 17. The Interstate was crowded with trucks and RVs. I put it on cruise at 60 mph. We were getting good indicated mileage in the mid 20's.

It interested me that when we got off 95 and onto 17, a four lane comparatively deserted highway our indicated miles per gallon dropped to the mid 19s. I wondered if difference was due to a drafting effect on the Interstate though I do not follow closely.

Regardless I filled up when we got to Charleston and the calculated mileage for the entire trip was 20.8 mpg. It seems we get better miles per gallon on the Interstate. That will be our last Interstate segment until we get to NJ.
Did you have it on cruise when not traveling on the Interstate?
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:18 PM   #243

Florida
Driving conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathi View Post
Did you have it on cruise when not traveling on the Interstate?
I drove virtually the entire distance on cruise at 60 mph. The ride on RT 17 from exit 33 on I 95 in SC to just south of Charleston is almost light free, just one or two lights and I only recall stopping at one. The traffic was very light.

I was wondering about the drafting factor while driving on I-95. Though not scientific it seemed that the mpg indicator increased whenever a vehicle pulled in front of me. When we got onto 17, I was feeling more confident in the observation.

One more observation, the gauge indicated mpg was less than the calculated mpg which seems to be the norm for our Odyssey. One other factor that's different from our drive down is we now use synthetic oil, no claims, just a reference point.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-14-2015, 04:58 PM   #244

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
It's difficult sometimes to tell whether you're moving slightly uphill or downhill over the course of a few miles. Perhaps you were on a downhill stretch. Or the wind shifted.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:47 PM   #245

Florida
Mike,

Coastal South Carolina is pretty flat and the road is almost Interstate straight with virtually no 'interstate overpass hills'. There was no apparent wind.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-15-2015, 05:42 AM   #246

Florida
Ginny and I were chatting about the Odyssey over breakfast.

It has turned out to be a good purchase so far. It gets better miles per gallon then we would have hoped, it's the most comfortable and quietest vehicle we've owned in quite a while, and backing up with an automatic is definitely easier than with a standard.

Someone suggested that Ginny could now be a soccer mom. Well it could carry a good portion of a soccer team with room for their equipment and easily carries any thing we need for our trips.

One nice feature we didn't care much about was comfortable seating for six real adults. I must admit we've used it a number of times.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-15-2015, 10:54 AM   #247

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Norm, we really like our Odyssey as well.
I could use more knee room, but I have that problem no matter what I drive........lol
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:57 AM   #248

Florida
Tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
Norm, we really like our Odyssey as well.
I could use more knee room, but I have that problem no matter what I drive........lol
You must be taller than me. I drive with the seat not all the way back. I've come to like the upright seating.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-15-2015, 11:03 AM   #249

Florida
Buck Hall and Litchfield Restuarant

Quote:
We camped at Buck Hall Campground in Francis Marion National Forest, last month. It's right off RT 17 about 30/35 miles north of Charleston, SC Site w/hookups=$20 less access pass=$10. And the camp host was in a 16' Casita.

Even if you are not spending the night there, it's a short access road to the campground off RT 17, so a pull-in to look around might be worthwhile for future reference. It's on the water--we liked it.

Oh, and Litchfield Restaurant, 12223 Ocean Hwy, RT 17., Pawley's Island, SC--open for breakfast & lunch (it's actually in a small town north of PI named Litchfield Beach) On the Left side of Rt 17 going north/east.

Going Rt 17 most of the way?, or the Outer Banks (ferries) route--US 70 to NC RT12, etc.?

Mark
Mark, we stopped at Buck Hall. The very nice Host told us he didn't allow trailers like ours...of course he had a Casita and there was another there as well. It's a lovely park and we will stay there on our way south in the future. The host told us not to tell anyone about the park...they only have 14 sites.

We also saw the Litchfield Restuarant and I'll take Ginny on a breakfast date in the morning. Thanks for the great tips.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-15-2015, 01:55 PM   #250

Name: Mark
Trailer: EggCamper 2012 #109, by 2006 Tundra or 2014 Outback
Western Massachusetts
Buck Hall , misc comments

"Mark, we stopped at Buck Hall. The very nice Host told us he didn't allow trailers like ours...of course he had a Casita and there was another there as well. It's a lovely park and we will stay there on our way south in the future. The host told us not to tell anyone about the park...they only have 14 sites."

The host (in the Casita 16) at Buck Hall told me that they are often full, so a reservation may be needed sometimes. They do have an overflow area with no hookups.

There was a Trillium there when we were there, (about March 22?) and a home-made mini stick built retro type trailer.

And, Of course, we won't tell anyone about this campground....oops.

There do not seem to be many campgrounds with hookups on the East Coast where you can use an Access Pass like at Buck Hall.

From what I've read, the engine cylinder management system in the Odyssey seems like it works pretty well.

Mark
coastsignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:59 PM   #251

Western Massachusetts
MPG readout

How do the Odyssey Fuel readout guage readings compare to the actual mileage taken after a fill-up?

The 2014 Subaru Outback readings are right on the money most all of the time when compared to actual fuel used.

Mark
Old 04-16-2015, 08:39 AM   #252

Florida
Odyssey Fuel Readout

Quote:
How do the Odyssey Fuel readout guage readings compare to the actual mileage taken after a fill-up?

The 2014 Subaru Outback readings are right on the money most all of the time when compared to actual fuel used.

Mark
Generally it seems to be pretty accurate though on the Interstates it seems to read low, I've noticed this towing and not towing.

We went to the Linkletter Restaurant for breakfast, we both had fluffy pancakes. We were there around 7AM and mostly the regular crowd, working people chatting getting ready for their day. Thanks for the tip.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-20-2015, 07:51 PM   #253

Western Massachusetts
Those Honda Odyssey's really have some room! A fairly new one was parked right next to my F250 last weekend, and it did not look small --at all-- next to the truck.
Now --off to VA Beach tomorrow, then Cedar Island, NC on Weds., to retrieve our Eggcamper.
Mark
Old 04-21-2015, 11:07 AM   #254

Florida
Mark, The Odyssey is huge, tremendous amount of volume.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-05-2015, 10:07 AM   #255

Florida
Keeping it together

I've reported this somewhere but just to keep it together..

We took our Odyssey to CT delivering some of our furniture to her, things they prized as we disperse 50 years of stuff to friends and relatives. We folded the third row into the floor and removed the second row of seats.

It truly turns the Odyssey into a huge volume. We drove at 65-70 on 75% interstates and averaged 32 mpg, I still find this amazing. I also noticed that most of the time we were running on 3 cylinders of the 6 possible. Interestingly how well 3 cylinders propels this huge vehicle.

The Odyssey also calculates distance remaining to empty. I got to the dump and it said 11 miles and the yellow warning light came on. Really the yellow lights is distance remaining to yellow light. When I filled the tank we had 3 gallons remaining.

The Odyssey is an amazingly comfortable vehicle for long rides, like our trip to CT. It's Ginny's favorite, more so than the Legend or Audi 5000.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-05-2015, 05:34 PM   #256

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I agree Norm.
My wife said I could trade our Odyssey for a NEW truck,
but it's so good that isn't going to happen.

We have a Scion and Odyssey and both get 30+ mpg.
My old Astro only gets 18 mpg which I may trade for a truck,
but $50,000 is a bit much when they only get maybe 18mpg.

So maybe my Astro will get a new set of tires and keep rolling.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:47 PM   #257

Florida
I read an interesting article about domestic content in cars sold in America. The reviewer states that a car is considered to be American Made (USA) if it's domestic content equals or exceeds 75% of it's parts.

For the first time the list has fewer than 10 cars or trucks, none are Fords or Chryslers. The Toyota Camary is the top car and the Toyota Sienna is second. The Honda Odyssey is 4th. The 3 GM SUVs built on the same platform are 3, 5, and 6. 7th is the limited production Corvette.

Interesting but not unexpected. We have had a number of Honda's built in the USA and Canada. Many of the parts come from our Canadian and Mexican neighbors. I worked on a massive Canadian Ford engine plant some years back.

In retrospect I'm not surprised to see the Sienna and Odyssey in the list, they seem to be North American cars. Toyota now has 10 plants in the USA.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-30-2015, 02:34 PM   #258

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
My Sienna is much like the Odyssey. I concluded that the Odyssey was the better van for moving people and cargo, but the Sienna won out for towing (IMHO).

A while back, I removed the 2ed row seats (an easy 10 min job) and I put the third row seats down, then I loaded a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the back, lying flat. I only needed one sheet but I could have stacked them up, maybe until the weight became an issue.

Now days I have the 2ed row seats out AND I also removed the seat trolleys that the seats mount on and that people tend to trip on, so the floor is flat. Of course putting the second row seats back in now will be an all day job if I ever decide to do so.

Anyway Norm, I have seen you quote mileage many times and each time I see it I wonder… is this from your measurement of the vehicle display? My Sienna shows me MPG, remaining distance, etc. but the numbers are wrong. The speedometer reads about 4% too high at highway speeds and the odometer also I think is off. My mileage calculated between fill ups was lower than the displayed for the same distance (checked repeatedly).
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 03:38 PM   #259

Florida
Gordon,
I've also removed our second row. It's truly an amazing covered volume.

As to towing ability I'm not sure which is better. My view is that only half the miles are towing and the Odyssey gets better mileage 19/28 versus 18/25 per the EPA.

After 20,000 miles I have a feel for the gauges. The inaccuracy in the mpg readout is when taking short trips around town. The gauge some times read high. In general we average 24 mpg around town. I do a little better, Ginny a little worse. On the highway the mpg gauge is typically low compared to the calculated. We easily get better than 30 mpg on the highway even at speed at least on the eastern seaboard.

One dramatic advantage is the Odyssey's cylinder management, driving back and forth to CT this weekend we were mostly running on 3 or 4 cylinders. It's amazing to see it reporting 40-50 mpg. Of course this could be a weakness if it turns out to be unreliable. Only time will tell.

Given either mini-van I would keep it. They are both good vehivcles.

Towing to and from FL we averaged 19 mpg, less than our Honda CRV's 21. The advantage of the Odyssey is it gets better mileage in general driving. On the whole we like the Odyssey because its more comfortable than the CRV. It does have the disadvantage that it needs the addition of a transmission cooler and needs to be wired to tow, the 2015 Sienna wins there.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-03-2015, 09:54 AM   #260

Florida
Gordon,

I've been paying more attention to the mpg since your post. I filled up the Odyssey before the holiday weekend and did a little around town shopping and averaged 27 mpg in 10 miles or so. Later in the day Ginny made a similar trip and averaged 20.6 mpg. I took the car shopping today and came back with 27.5 mpg. Now I wasn't with Ginny on her trip but certainly I now she's not conscious about mpg (though she's a careful driver, I don't think she's ever been in an accident).

In conclusion, how you drive can make a difference, and I think a significant difference. In this case it had nothing to do with top speed, in general you're not driving much over 45 and probably 30 in the summer time around here.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16