Honda Odyssey - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2014, 12:35 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Honda Odyssey

We picked up our Honda Odyssey LX this morning. We historically purchase cars without all the bells and whistles hence the LX. Though Hondas have proven to be reliable we figure every additional feature is just something that could fail.

On the way home we realized that NH's no sales tax means we saved about $2000. Assume gasoline at $4/gallon, that equates to 10,000 or so miles of free driving compared to being a citizen of any other neighboring state.

Driving home was interesting. The car's gauge showed it had averaged 18 mpg, by the time we reached our home the average was up to 27 mpg, over a 20 mile drive. Certainly nothing scientific.

The instantaneous mpg is displayed and typically was 40+ mpg on the Interstate at 60 miles per hour. On the generally flat Interstate of the seacoast NH, the car was running in "ECO". I assume the engine is running under cylinder management in ECO.

(We obviously haven't figured the Odyssey out though our Honda salesman spent two hours going through the car with us. It has so many functions that did not exist in our 10 year old Honda CRV not to mention that the manual is 500 pages.)

The section on towing is small but interesting, giving permitted trailer weight in relation to the number of 150 lb passengers or equivalent items.

We are anxious to tow with the Odyssey and see our miles per gallon.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:49 PM   #2

Name: Tom
Michigan
Good luck with your new TV Norm. It sounds nice! What color did you get? I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for you in FL this winter.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:27 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Congratulations!

Know what you mean about the owner's manual… my Pilot's also runs 500+ pages and has the full-page chart about passengers & towing capacity. Chuckled out loud when I read the fine print about 15 pounds of personal effects/person… Guess the Honda lawyers won't leave anything to common sense!

I'm with you on bells and whistles. We also got the LX trim.

Wishing you many, many miles of comfortable, trouble-free travel!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Great stuff, Norm. Looking forward to some photos.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:51 PM   #5

Florida
Tom,

It's silver. We're color irrelevant people. Come for dinner in FL.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-26-2014, 02:58 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Doesn't New Hampshire have an excise tax on vehicles to make up for no sales tax. Both our kids have Odyssey's, nice vehicles. Light color is nice to have in the sunny south.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 03:14 PM   #7
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Sounds good Norm. You are lucky. Pics please!!

We picked up our Sienna last night. It cost $92. to fill up and the sales tax on the $6,000. purchase price was $860. at the DMV this morning when we made the transfer.

PS... I know what you mean about value add ones. Compared to our 97 Quest.
there is so much additional stuff. Amazing!
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:28 PM   #8

Florida
Mary and Bob,

Ginny has the same feeling about a light color, figuring we'll spend more and more time there.

I'm not sure how an excise tax differs from a sales tax except it may be more targeted.

NH is a very interesting state. I'm always surprised that the major newspapers don't write glowing articles about it. When the world recently crashed, NH kept chugging along.

NH has more legislators than any state in the nation. We only pay them $200 a year. We generally end up with people in office who are careful about wasteful spending.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-26-2014, 04:37 PM   #9

Florida
Wayne,

It came with a full tank of gas, 21 gallons. For a totally empty tank that would be about $70, more typically about $60...Ginny hates to see the yellow warning light.

As to 'add ons', when we sat down to sign the final papers the finance manager said I guess you won't want the extended warranty based upon your Honda history.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-26-2014, 05:19 PM   #10
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
It came with a full tank of gas, 21 gallons. For a totally empty tank that would be about $70, more typically about $60

2004 Honda CRV
1991 Scamp 16
That seems about right. When we filled up we were only near empty. A full fill up would be about $100. It is easy to see how much more we pay for fuel up in Canada.

What's interesting Norm is that our newly purchased Sienna is a 2004, the same year as your out going CRV.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:04 PM   #11

Florida
Wayne,

I recognized that the Sienna was a 2004 and found it interesting. I don't suppose it has 360,000 km on it like our CRV.

For the record, the Odyssey was about $27K, certainly a pile of money but OK over the next ten years. Interestingly the 2004 CRV cost $18K ten years ago.

One interesting aspect of Canadian gasoline is that we typically are in Newfoundland and don't drive that many miles, tending to stay here and there for a week at a time.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-26-2014, 07:30 PM   #12
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Wayne,

I recognized that the Sienna was a 2004 and found it interesting. I don't suppose it has 360,000 km on it like our CRV.
No Norm, just broken in with 220,000kms, lol. Your Oddy should supply you with many, many reliable hours of motoring.

Also note our older 1993 Nissan Quest had 290,000klm's on it when we just started to tow the Airstream with it. It is amazing how some vehicle perform so well even with the higher klm's on them.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:55 PM   #13

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I know you will enjoy the Oddy.
I've found that it's easy to figure out without
reading the manual............LOL
I can actually operate the radio and fuel monitoring.......lol

I'm still having trouble figuring out the stuff on our 2012 Scion.
It should be simple enough, but I seem to forget in between
the times I use it......................LOL

I didn't trust the keyless ignition at first............you know "change."
But I've even figured it out and trust it now.

I have to show the wife how to use the radio with engine
turned off and I'm the computer idiot.......
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:10 PM   #14

Name: David
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
We've love our odyssey!

We just motored the 180 miles to Chicago and back. I have a lead foot. And, I still got 28+ mpg.

When we did 4500+ miles out west this summer with our 13 ft scamp we average 16+ mpg for the entirety of the trip. I was quite bummed by this result.

If I could find a fast moving semi to park behind the instantaneous mpg would easily go up to 22. But alas, I was not always so patient in this regard.

Enjoy the odyssey!
DaMScampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:37 AM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
That's funny Dave about the semi's. Back in the mid 70's I was doing a cross country trip, no trailer and fell in behind a couple semi's just to keep pace with them...75+. They knew I was behind them and ran with them for about 50 miles and got to thinking about if this draft thing works. Moved over to the white line so he could see me and pulled slowly forward to him and moved in behind him. At about 50' I could feel the pull of the air bubble behind him and only had to use about half throttle for the same speed as he was pulling me. Stayed there for about 45 seconds just as a test and fell back, moved back to the white line so he could see that I was backed off at a safe distance and stayed with them for another 200 miles. I'm sure he knew what I was doing as when I had to go to another freeway I flashed my lights to him as a thank you and he flashed his trailer lights to me as a goodby. BTW, we were the only vehicles for miles. I would never do that with traffic around or towing a trailer. But dang it was a pretty neat feeling being pulled forward like that once you got through the buffeting/dirty air it was like a vacuum. Ah the things you do as an 18 yo teenager. At 60+ I do the speed limits or conditions now.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:03 AM   #16

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Quote:
Tom,

It's silver. We're color irrelevant people. Come for dinner in FL.
Norm and Ginny,
Congratulations on your NEW Honda!!!!! I know you guys are really enjoying the extra space! I think silver is a great color!
So, where are you taking it on the first trip?
Keep smiling, that will make your Honda last longer! Ha!
Thanks,

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:42 AM   #17

Florida
Carl, I must say the Odyssey feels too big. Our youngest son thinks his electric Smart car would fit in the back.

(On the Smart car, it's totally electric with rather short range, 75 miles, but if it fit's your driving it's very cost efficient, the largest cost is the monthly lease of $139.)

Ginny smiles almost all the time.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-27-2014, 05:52 AM   #18

Name: Tom
Michigan
Hey Norm, silver is a good color for FL sun. Good choice. Are you going to put your hitch and brake controller on? I'll bet you're anxious to try it out. You'll have to update your "Show us your rig" photo.

Dave you brought back a flood of memories! When I came back from overseas in 1970, I was stationed in No. VA, near D.C. but my girlfriend was back home near Detroit. I would go home on short notice to see her all the time. To save money, I'd frequently draft semi's on the Ohio and PA turnpikes. I had a VW Beetle and a Triumph Bonneville at the time. The trip was 525 miles one way. I left on a Friday night after work, and would be back for work on Monday morning with just pennies in my pocket, and a smile on my face. Drafting for hundreds of miles like that required total attention and fast reflexes, perfect for an adrenaline junkie like me, just back from the war. Now 44 years later I'm a little smarter and a lot safer. Thanks for reminding me, Dave!

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:12 AM   #19
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
On the generally flat Interstate of the seacoast NH, the car was running in "ECO". I assume the engine is running under cylinder management in ECO.
Norm, this info may help.

In the past few weeks looking for another vehicle we test drove a number of Honda's that had the VCM engines. It was brought to my attention when test driving a 2010 Honda Crosstour. On the highway the engine started to stumble like it was about to run out of gas. I soon realized it only did this when the ECO light came on the dash. Curious about it I found this site that explains the VCM/ECO technology.

Now aware of what is happening I looked for it when test driving other Honda'a and the transition in and out of ECO mode was seamless and actually a nice fuel saving system. Obviously the Crosstour I drove had some kind of bug in the VCM system.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:35 PM   #20

Name: David
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
I'm glad that my drafting has brought back such memories. For the record, the type of semi drafting that I do these days pulling as Scamp is at a good two second + following distance. Even there I am realizing a significant boost in MPG.
DaMScampers is offline   Reply With Quote