Honda Pilot to tow 17' SD? - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1999 Casita Spirit Deluxe
South Carolina
Registry
Honda Pilot to tow 17' SD?

The '97 Montero will need to be replaced soon....one vehicle that looks attractive is the Honda Pilot. I've done some research...looks like a recent version has 4500 capacity for 4wd, 2500 for 2wd. Wonder why such a difference? Does anyone tow a 17' er with a Pilot? If so, what kinds of experience? 2wd? 4wd? What kind of gas mileage?

Thanks!

Old 10-17-2012, 09:04 AM   #2

Name: Paul
Trailer: Escape 19 ft (sold) Escape 21 May 2014
Wisconsin
Registry
I do not tow with a Pilot but it is on my list as a replacement vehicle in the next couple of years. What I have found is the 2009 model and earlier did not come standard with a tow package, starting in 2010 the tow package was on all models.

There was a factory tow package 2009 and earlier but only on select vehicles, some owners added OEM towing.

With a 19 weighing in at 3600# I have run the calculations and find the Pilot will meet my standards of under 80% ratings on the GCWR, GTWR and tongue weight.

I will look to the used market, the 2010's will be coming off lease in the next year so that should give some supply. I am only considering a factory tow package which I believe includes a dual fan radiator, trany cooler and the hitch with wiring for a brake controller.

Having a 4Runner, an excellent tow vehicle, the Pilot seems very comparable. From what I have read it is a good choice when used within the intended ratings.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:21 AM   #3

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot 13'
Oregon
Registry
I have a 2010 Pilot I bought new and they had to do some work on it when I first got it to make the tow package active. I believe the wiring harness is all there but not necessarily connected on the average vehicle. I just had mine in for service and specifically asked if it would charge the battery on my new to me 13ft bigfoot and the answer was not unless they went in and connected some additional wires and put in a special fuse so it couldn't drain the battery. All of the lights work as it is but it won't charge the battery without spending another $200 so they can pull the bumper connect some wires and put in a fuse. So if you are considering a used one be aware that there still may be additional costs.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #4

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
I have the Touring model '09 Pilot. Other than installing a brake controller, it was 100% ready to go, and doing that was a breeze with the provided connector. I have no issues pulling my Escape 19. Yes, the full economy drops when towing, especially in the wind, and I let my speed drop to 90 kph (55mph) on really steep hills. My wife really enjoys driving it too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #5

Name: Anne
Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Oregon
Registry
I have a 2005 Pilot AWD - it didn't come with a towing package, I had the hitch, brake controller and 12V battery charger wiring added. Even without the towing package, I've been towing an Escape 17' for about 6 years with no problems.

The Pilot is a really nice SUV to drive, very quiet and easy to maneuver.
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #6

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
This is off of the current SoCal Honda dealers website for Pilot specifications:

"The trailer harness is standard on Touring models, and available on EX-L and below models. Maximum towing capacity is 2,000 lbs for 2WD models, and 4,500 lbs for 4WD models[1]."

You might want to carefully check actual towing abilities for any specific year/model purchased new or used.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #7

Oregon
Registry
That explains the difference. I didn't mention before. My model is the EX-L with the tow kit, and a backup camera that is not as fancy as the Touring model. Mine is also automatic and I think they call them AWD these days. There is a 4wd lock on them and a D3 option for locking it in a lower gear.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:34 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19' /2010 Honda Pilot 4WD TV
Escondido, California
The 17' Trailer with that tow vehicle should be no problem.

I have a 2010 Honda Pilot 4WD with the tow package and a 19' Escape coming and with be well within the advertized limits for the tow vehicle. With the brake controller I installed and the load leveling hitch I have (soon-to-be-installed) I will have a very safe and capable setup. The trailer ships on Friday and will be delivered this Sunday!!!!!!!!!!

Steve
Old 10-18-2012, 09:39 PM   #9

Escondido, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRubyLu-Kathy View Post
That explains the difference. I didn't mention before. My model is the EX-L with the tow kit, and a backup camera that is not as fancy as the Touring model. Mine is also automatic and I think they call them AWD these days. There is a 4wd lock on them and a D3 option for locking it in a lower gear.
The D3 option I have found to be very useful when climbing a big hill while towing. It regulates the range of the automatic transmission to three gears keeping it from shifting back and forth from 3rd to 4th during hill climbs.

Steve
Old 10-18-2012, 09:44 PM   #10

Escondido, California
BTW, the Honda Pilot Mileage sucks!

The mileage on my 2010 Honda Pilot Mileage 4WD with tow package sucks even with nothing in tow. The best I have ever seen is around 17mpg. The engines also have a known problem with oil usage. I am always about 1.5 quarts low when doing schedules oil,changes...surprising for a Japanese car. However it is a dream to drive and would do it again.

Steve
Old 10-19-2012, 09:40 AM   #11

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
On our last trip trip with lots of hill driving over 5,000 km, we got an average of 21 l/100km, or 11.2 US mpg, or 13.5 Imp mpg.
When not towing we tend to get around 14 l/100km, or 16.8 US mpg, or 20.2 Imp mpg.

Not all that great, but we enjoy its driving and carrying capacities.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:16 AM   #12

Name: Paul
Trailer: Escape 19 ft (sold) Escape 21 May 2014
Wisconsin
Registry
Honda Pilot Oil Usage

Steve
I went to several of the Pilot forums and read about the oil usage on the Pilot. Comments indicated it is present but the consensus on the forums was it is not prevalent. In the cases cited it seems the SUV can use up to a quart between oil changes, well within the 1qt/1,000 mile acceptable standard.

There did not seem to be a clear reason other than tolerances. Some units may have just had greater tolerances thus the oil loss. It was clear that the problem was not widespread and perhaps not an issue if you follow recommended oil checking routines.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #13

Oregon
Registry
I can get 23 mpg going over hill and dale or I can get as low as 13 around town if I do a lot of stopping and starting. I don't know yet what the trailer will do to the highway driving. I usually get better mileage if I get it out of town once a week. So I probably average 16 to 18 mpg on mine and haven't seemed to have the oil issue.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #14

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
The 17' Trailer with that tow vehicle should be no problem.

I have a 2010 Honda Pilot 4WD with the tow package and a 19' Escape coming and with be well within the advertized limits for the tow vehicle. With the brake controller I installed and the load leveling hitch I have (soon-to-be-installed) I will have a very safe and capable setup. The trailer ships on Friday and will be delivered this Sunday!!!!!!!!!!

Steve
Is a load leveling hitch something different from a weight distributing one?

I ask because it's my understanding that the Pilot has an integrated hitch built right in and that Honda advises against the addition of an add-on W/D system.

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote