Honda Pilot Towing - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-20-2014, 12:48 AM   #29

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I'm trying to imagine, given that Jim Bennett tows his 19' Escape with a Honda Pilot over the Rocky Mounains, from Calgary to Osoyoos without complaint.

Personal preference. Some people find the same vehicle I have ok to pull our campers, and I find a 500 lb 4x8 trailer to be plenty for it.

I couldn't imagine pulling my fifth wheel with a 4 cylinder, but some people think they are perfectly adequate. They also find no problem with doing 35 mph on hills. I find anything more than a 10mph loss from speed limit unacceptable.

I can't imagine a pilot too low geared to take it out of overdrive, though.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:22 AM   #30

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I can't imagine Jim doing 35 mph on hills.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:51 AM   #31

Kansas
Honda Pilot Towing

The point was, everybody has their own level of acceptable.

Norm and ginny have no problem towing with their CRV, my family found that while it was a great reliable car, it barely had enough power to move itself.

Different strokes for different folks.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:36 AM   #32

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Wayne,

We're considering a 2014 Odyssey, now 6 speed. Hopefully that will resolve transmission gear spacing. I doubt we will buy used, considering, at our age, this to be our last vehicle purchase.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:45 AM   #33

Florida
Jon, Thank you for responding with your Pilot experiences. It seems we are now locked into the Odyssey or like vehicle. An added factor is that we're buying a small home in FL this year and Ginny thinks the Odyssey will serve better in that role. (This does not mean we will reduce our 'travel odyssey', at least too much.)

Bruce and Kaye,
We NOW generally tow in 4th gear and only in 5th (overdrive) on flat stretches. When we started towing we were almost always in 5th except for hills. Once we got an Ultraguage it was clearly obvious that mpgs were generally better in 4th gear in the 3000 rpm range.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-20-2014, 04:52 AM   #34

Florida
The point was, everybody has their own level of acceptable.

Norm and Ginny have no problem towing with their CRV, my family found that while it was a great reliable car, it barely had enough power to move itself.

Different strokes for different folks.

Jared,

I agree with different strokes for different folks, built not with the Honda barely having enough power to move itself. It easily moves us and our trailer all over North America. I get a little smile on my face when I pass a fifth wheel on a long hill being towed by a truck well rated for towing it's load. Heck no we're not fast but we always get there and there is just about everywhere.

If I was trying to race I'd have kept the Porsche.

Safe travels and I do understand people who have a need to drive faster than me. I happily pull over for them even when I'm doing the speed limit. Here in Newfoundland, like parts of the USA, most drive faster than the speed limits.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-20-2014, 04:56 AM   #35

Florida
Norm ,Ginny check out a Mazda cx5 (2000lb) or a VW tiguan (2200lb) or a Subaru outback (2700lb) tow rating if you want better gas mileage . We loved our 4whl drive pilot 06 but gas mileage was terrible 15-22mpg non-towing / towing 12mpg a 4000lb boat . I missed what your scamp weighs ? Is is 1600lb like the one for sale ?

Jim, we considered all the vehicles you've mentioned. As to the Subaru, Carol's recent experience and we have similar trailers, reliability was a concern. VW's reliability record was also a concern. I looked at the Mazda but it just wan't for us.

Thanks, though if the VW Tiguan came in a diesel I would have been more interested.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-20-2014, 05:53 AM   #36

Kansas
The issue with our CRV was even with just three people in the car, it would kick down two gears on the hills, going over 4,000 rpm.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:48 AM   #37

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
I have only met a couple mountain passes that have seen me slow below the speed limit towing my Escape 19. There are just the two of us, and a 50 lb dog, and we don't carry a lot of excess gear with us, so we are a decent margin under the towing/carrying capacity. Maybe if we were gear junkies, or had a couple more adults along, it would make a difference.

I always do the speed limit, and a bit over if traffic is doing the same, though never exceed 120 kph. Lots of good response and jam, I have likely passed more vehicles than have pass me, not much difference than driving without pulling the 19.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:59 AM   #38

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
I can't imagine a pilot too low geared to take it out of overdrive, though.
The Pilot has a 5-speed. Apparently the top two gears are both overdrives (??) because turning off OD kicks it all the way down to third. If you try to maintain freeway speeds in third, you will be running at pretty high rpms (perhaps what post #21 means by "strafing").

The owner's manual says to leave the OD on when driving on flat terrain, where it does fine with our 13'er with little gear-hunting (handles moderate grades on the freeway just fine, occasionally dropping into fourth).

The manual also says to take it out of OD on hills. In my parts that typically means up to 6% (with the occasional short 7% stretch). I could probably maintain 60 mph in third, but I'm not interested in finding out how long I could keep that up before something overheats or breaks. I allow the speed to drop to 45-50 mph, which puts the rpms at a comfortable 3000-3500.

Is that too slow? I know it would be for some. Here's my thinking (at least on a 4-lane highway): you either have to blend in with the trucks in the slow lane or with the passenger cars in the fast lane. RVs that weave back and forth going faster than the trucks but slower than the cars annoy almost everybody. So… are you a truck or a car? I know what state laws say. Now, when loaded semis start passing you, that's too slow!!
Old 06-20-2014, 11:42 AM   #39

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
The issue with our CRV was even with just three people in the car, it would kick down two gears on the hills, going over 4,000 rpm.
Curious.. was yours a 1st gen. (2.0L) or 2nd/3rd/4th gen. (2.4L)? My wife owned a 2000 (2.0/4 speed) and now has a 2006 (2.4/5 speed), and the two drivetrains perform very differently. We live in a mountainous area, so the 2.0 spent a lot of time in 3rd and even 2nd screaming up the hills. Small Honda engines are know to be light on torque and to prefer higher rpms. It didn't seem to bother the engine or even the gas mileage much, surprisingly, and we drove it 200K miles in 8 years without a problem. Wasn't too pleasant to listen to, though. The 2.4 is much calmer and rarely drops below 4th on the same grades, and that's with four of us on board.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:28 PM   #40

Florida
Jon, We have a 2004, manual transmission, 2.4 Liter Honda, probably a gen 3. We bought it new and have 225,000 miles driving and towing and about an additional 50,000 miles where it was towed behind our motor home.

It has been our only vehicle for 10 years so reliability has been important. As we get ready to get a new vehicle, reliability and operating costs are important. If they still made the manual transmission version I suspect we'd buy another CRV. We'll both feel bad when we part with it.

There has never been a time when we've towed with it that we we've wished we had more tow vehicle. The reality is that even when we're in tow country, the really tough hills represent a small percentage of our travels. Here in Newfoundland where the Trans Canada Highway, the same as our Interstates, has more severe grades than we find in the states, we have absolutely no issue maintaining a good speed.

Though gas engines do not have the torque of diesels and Honda's like revs, we haven't had a problem. Typically we are at 3000 rpm when towing and the Honda never seems to mind.

We have never had a gen 1, though we have had civics based upon the same platform and they performed well though with out similar loads.

In that vain we have had the Honda V-6 in an Acura Legend. It also was bullet proof and powerful. I believe it's virtually the same as the Odessey V-6.

We are expecting a little less mileage than the Honda CRV but more than the Pilot.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-20-2014, 12:59 PM   #41

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Jon, We have a 2004, manual transmission, 2.4 Liter Honda, probably a gen 3. We bought it new and have 225,000 miles driving and towing and about an additional 50,000 miles where it was towed behind our motor home.
That's actually an early gen. 2. They upgraded to the 2.4L engine but kept a 4 speed automatic in 2002-2004. In 2005-2006 (late gen. 2) they switched to a 5 speed auto. Sadly, 2006 was also the last year it could be had with a manual. In 2007 they changed to a rounded/hatchback/auto-only design (gen. 3).

Because of the larger engine, spare-on-back, boxy design, and manual availability, I consider gen. 2 the sweet spot of the CR-V line. Great vehicle!
Old 06-20-2014, 01:16 PM   #42

Florida
Jon,

One of my Odyssey concerns is the 'micro' spare. Hopefully thy have room for a full size spare.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16