Honda Pilot Towing - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-20-2014, 02:14 PM   #43

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Don't know... the Pilot does, but it's not standard.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:27 AM   #44

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Curious.. was yours a 1st gen. (2.0L) or 2nd/3rd/4th gen. (2.4L)? My wife owned a 2000 (2.0/4 speed) and now has a 2006 (2.4/5 speed), and the two drivetrains perform very differently. We live in a mountainous area, so the 2.0 spent a lot of time in 3rd and even 2nd screaming up the hills. Small Honda engines are know to be light on torque and to prefer higher rpms. It didn't seem to bother the engine or even the gas mileage much, surprisingly, and we drove it 200K miles in 8 years without a problem. Wasn't too pleasant to listen to, though. The 2.4 is much calmer and rarely drops below 4th on the same grades, and that's with four of us on board.

I believe it was a 2000, iirc.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:50 AM   #45

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
I believe it was a 2000, iirc.
That would be like my wife's first one, with the smaller engine. There were a lot of things to love about it… Beat it up like a jeep on back roads on the Navajo reservation and nothing broke. Ran like a sewing machine for 8 years and 200K miles. Amazing amount of room inside for such a compact footprint. Turned on a dime. Upholstery was tough as nails. But it had flaws. Power was one, as you noted (actually it had power, you just had to rev into the stratosphere to get it, which gets old fast). AC was weak for our AZ climate (dark green over charcoal grey didn't help). Steering wheel angle was weird (and not adjustable). I miss the upholstery the most… I like everything about our Pilot except the upholstery - stains easily and hard to clean - lousy combination for a so-called "utility" vehicle.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:38 PM   #46

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Jon, The 2004 did have a tilt steering wheel.

Someone mentioned ground clearance. The Odyssey has 1" less than the CRV.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:29 PM   #47

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Jon, The 2004 did have a tilt steering wheel.
Yeah, our 2000 did have some adjustment, as I now recall, but even at maximum tilt, the steering wheel was kind of flat, bus-like. I got cramps in my shoulders driving it for long periods, something I have experienced in no other vehicle. Our current 2006 (which should have the same steering geometry as your 2004) does not have that problem.

Quote:
Someone mentioned ground clearance. The Odyssey has 1" less than the CRV.
Ground clearance is only one measure of how well a vehicle will do off-highway. Approach, departure, and break over angles are others. The long wheelbase and long rear overhang mean the Odyssey will have much lower departure and break over angles than the CRV. So, even with similar ground clearance, the CRV will go places the Odyssey won't. But I don't imagine you're considering an Odyssey for its rock-crawling prowess!
Click image for larger version

Name:	08_h2sut_breakover.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	72806
Old 06-22-2014, 06:06 PM   #48

Florida
Jon,
Nice picture of the parameters important in off roading. WE have driven our Honda on a lot of dirt roads, though no SUV rock climbing expeditions. In all our years we have only have the four wheel drive feature kick in twice and both times by forced driver induced slippage.

Once while crossing a flooding road I felt like we were 'floating' a little and I stepped on it, slipping a front wheel and the rears kicked in moving us thru nicely.
Another time in AZ we had driven about 100 miles on dirt crossing rivers and the like without issue. We got to the end of the road and a steep sided small stream had to be crossed to reach pavement, almost like a road side gully but not one. It looked to me that we would end up bridged over the little stream, I stepped on it, slipping a wheel on sand and the rears kicked in and we made it across.

I know it's not real 4 wheel drive but it's worked when we needed it. We have never driven it in New England snow, only on AZ/NM snow and this year in Newfoundland in light snow.

AS a percentage of wheel base, the Odyssey may have less overhang than the CRV. I think our CRV's was about 3 feet.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-24-2014, 02:44 PM   #49

Florida
Honda Odyssey

We've decided on the Odyssey. It's so large we could sell the trailer and live in the Odyssey. It has a number of features we liked.

Surprisingly it's EPA MPG ratings are very similar to our 4 cylinder 2004 Honda CRV, 19 city/28 highway. I expect it will not do as well as our CRV towing, particularly with the CRV's manual transmission.

It does have a very nice rear view camera and as well it's available with a camera in the passenger's side mirror, that was really nice.

Miraculously it's capable of carrying 4x8 sheets of plywood with the rear door closed. The interior volume is truly amazing.

I am confident by the end of July we'll have one.

It will be sad to trade in the CRV. It's done a great job towing us all over North America.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-24-2014, 03:19 PM   #50

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Are the Oddy's center and rear seats easily removable? If so, you really could just about live in it... especially with a pop-top conversion.

{edit}: I just found a youtube video showing how the rear seats fold flat into the floor, and the center seats lift out completely with just a couple of clicks. I never knew this!
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:31 PM   #51
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
We've decided on the Odyssey.
Sounds good Norm.

BTW... I was just reading about an 02 Oddy on the Airstream forum.
They traveled extensively and towed a large Airstream. The Oddy has 200,000 miles on it. Also note that there are hundreds of others on that forum that are using Oddy's to tow with. With your lightweight you should be very happy with the Oddy in almost every way.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:13 PM   #52

Florida
W, I've read a bunch of the Airstream/Odyssey forum comments. The Odyssey, properly set up, seem to be capable of towing fair size Airstreams, and doing it well.

It should have no trouble towing our Scamp 16.

We're even lighter since we virtually gave up wheat, each losing 10 lbs. The doctor said we would. Now we must admit we cheated like crazy in Newfoundland. Just the best bread pretty much restricting ourselves to a healthy (double meaning) slice every morning. One triple hump, multi-grain loaf must have weighted 3 lbs.

We almost drove back to Gros Morne to Earle's bakery to get another loaf before leaving.

Mike,

The rear seats collapse into the floor with one simple tug. The center seats are a little harder but not much. As well the rear seats go way back, better than airline style.

I backed between two cars without issue, the rear camera makes a difference there. Interestingly I never used the trailer's rear camera to back in. I guess I'm so used to Ginny's hand signals but next time I'll try the Scamp's camera.

As an aside we just downloaded the Good Sams Android App. It seems to work well. I was able to replace my Samsung phone but did lose pictures, my own fault. I guess you can still learn at 71.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-24-2014, 08:42 PM   #53

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
The Odyssey would be a fine capable vehicle for towing a Scamp 16. One would have to just get past the Soccer Mom stigma.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:05 PM   #54
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Soccer mom labeling is old hat.

They call them "Swagger Wagons" now!

Old 06-25-2014, 09:37 AM   #55

Florida
Soccer Mom

“When I am an old woman I shall wear purple, With a red hat which doesn't go and doesn't suit me, And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves, And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter”

Jim, The following is light.....

About soccer moms, Ginny said she just took a Pew science test and finished above 93% of men and women, getting them all right. No soccer mom here, her reply.

For me since I've gotten older, and maybe mostly always, I have not worried too much about labels. Virtually everyone has thought I was a little crazy..... Geodesic domes, electronic music, CEO to basically fulltiming RVer.....

My first mentor asked me "Did you take Calculus?" I responded yes. He said "then I can tell you the purpose of life." He quietly said "the purpose of life is to maximize the fun integral".

I really understood this after my dad died at a young age. Since then I have tried to have fun, if I'm not having fun I seek something new. As a result I have never worked at a job longer than 5 years or less. It seems 5 years, for me, is enough time to see it all and seek something new,

RVing, outside of marriage, is the only thing I've done for more than 5 years. What separates RVing is the possibility of something new, with every place and every person.

There's a little town in Oregon, Port Orford, that we've been to 7 times. We stay at a very nice family campground or the state park. The owner of the campground is always amazed at things we find to do in the area, that even he hasn't done.

Soccer Mom? It would neat to be a 'mom'. To me there's no doubt that it's different being a mom. Some how I think there's an attempt to homogenize the male/female roles. Ginny is decidedly different from me.

I might like being Ginny mom...... she's definitely great to travel with...

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-25-2014, 11:26 AM   #56

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Virtually everyone has thought I was a little crazy.....
An outstanding quality, in my books. :-)

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote