Honda Pilot Towing - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-04-2014, 06:13 PM   #71

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
If I read it right, the Pilot manual says not to use weight distribution hitches and recommends premium gas when towing.
I can't speak for 2012 models, but my 2011 manual recommends premium for towing over 3500#.

You are right about the non-use of WDH. Seems to be a common restriction among modern unibody vehicles. Not that some people don't use them anyway, but you're on your own if you do.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:14 PM   #72
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
I think the different brands/designs act differently when set up.

Our car is similar to your setup Glenn but this Mercedes SUV is different again.
Attached Thumbnails
hitch mercedes air Rclass set up.jpg   merc Air 12345.JPG  

Old 09-04-2014, 10:06 PM   #73

Name: Connie
Trailer: 1995 16' Scamp Deluxe
Washington
Thanks for the advice and the photos! Is the WDH the same as sway bars, or is that something different. I didn't seem to need anything towing my 13' Boler with the Subaru but this is definitely heavier.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:06 PM   #74

Arizona
Registry
Honda Pilot Towing

Sway bars are different. They work to minimize side-to-side motions. A properly engineered and correctly loaded trailer (tongue weight = 10-15% of total trailer weight) shouldn't normally "wag its tail." Some use a sway bar as an added measure of safety for unusual situations, such as a sudden gust of wind or an emergency lane change.

Actually, neither WDH nor sway bars are the most important thing you should be concerned about when moving up to a heavier trailer. Brakes are. Honda requires trailer brakes over 1000#. Make sure the brakes on your trailer are in good order, and get your new tow vehicle set up with a good brake controller.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:19 AM   #75

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Connie,

I towed with a lighter tow vehicle, a Honda CRV. I used a sway bar for most of our towing years and still do. Tow bars cost little, are easy to install and easy to use. We used one because when we were novices we were told that we'd be happy to have one in an (undefined) emergency situation. Not knowing anything we spent the $50.

We had two emergency situations. Did the sway bar help? Again I don't know but both situations ended without accident and the trailer behaved perfectly.

Our Honda CRV, similar to your Subaru, had a limited tongue capacity. We packed to minimize our tongue weight. Our tongue weighed between 200 and 220 lbs, typically in the 7-8% range.

A WDH helps by transferring weight from the rear axle of the tow vehicle to the front axle. Definitely a WDH performs a positive function though WDHs are not recommended for all tow vehicles.

Since you have a Scamp 16 with brakes, brakes should not be an issue.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:49 AM   #76

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Since you have a Scamp 16 with brakes, brakes should not be an issue.

Norm, I was just thinking that, given a 19 year old "new" trailer, having the brakes inspected and purchasing and installing a controller are higher priorities than adding a sway bar.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:27 AM   #77

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Mississippi
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
That WDH sure looks peculiar to me. 8 (EIGHT ) links, none hanging?
Mine is hooked on third link, leaving two hanging and the bars are level.
And I particularly like the way they jury-rigged the chain together with those nuts and bolts...
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:28 AM   #78
MC1

Ontario
Connie..... I like safety devices which can include many things depending on the components inclusive to the particular rig.

In some cases I have seen WDH's, anti sway bars, tire upgrades, shock upgrades, etc. Every rig owner has a different set of standards when it comes to handling, performance, and safety.

I always suggest the use of a qualified towing pro/store to get your rig set up especially for folks who are new to the game.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:32 AM   #79
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
And I particularly like the way they jury-rigged the chain together with those nuts and bolts...
You have a good eye for the fine details Steve.

That nut and bolt is not holding two chains together. It is actually a very cool idea to fine tune the spring bar tension. I use the idea myself at times. From an engineering or safety aspect there is no foul. Works great.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:41 AM   #80
MC1

Ontario
Here is a closer look at the "nut and bolt" adjustment idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Nut and bolt Tension adjustments.jpg  
Old 09-05-2014, 10:26 AM   #81

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I don't disagree with the brake controller or brake inspection. Just responding about anti sway and wdh.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:30 AM   #82

Washington
Brakes have been a biggie for me. Had my 13' Boler set up with a Prodigy controller. Plan to have the brakes checked and the new vehicle also set up probably with the same Prodigy. Another part of Pilot towing requirements is a full-size spare tire (not standard equipment). Does anyone know if the regular size spare fits in the same space as the "emergency" spare? Am asking as I had a Mazda one time with the little spare. I had to replace it and a new one cost a fortune. The guy in the shop said just get a regular tire as they also fit in the same space (under the hood). And it did! Thanks so much, you've all been a great help!
Connie
Old 09-06-2014, 01:47 PM   #83

Arizona
Registry
Connie, a standard wheel and tire will fit in the space for the donut. I'm pretty sure you can use the 17" steel wheel from the base trim as a spare even if you have the 18" alloys (check with a dealer, but I believe the smaller wheel has a higher profile tire, so the circumference is the same). A brand new wheel from a dealer is pricey, but sometimes they have swap-outs at a discount. Check out auto recyclers (aka, junkyards) in your area. There's also a Pilot owners forum that's worth a look in the classified section: Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:30 PM   #84

Washington
Thanks, Jon!