Honda Pilot Towing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2014, 03:09 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Honda Pilot Towing

Ginny's pushing hard for us to get a Honda Pilot for towing our Scamp 16.

We'd be interested in anyone's experience in towing with a Pilot, mileage, trailer, reliability, .....

Thank you

Ginny and Norm, She's first because she's leading the charge.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:09 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We would like one too, but no experience or info to help with your decision. However we were just at a camping rally and another couple there had a brand new Pilot and were towing a fairly big "sticky" camper with it, maybe a 22 or 24 footer, and were happy with it. We'll let you do the experimentation, but you already have Honda reliability experience. Go for it!!
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:12 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
My "almost" son-in-law loves his 2013 Pilot with a family of 4, but he doesn't tow-YET....

They drive it from San Francisco to LA at least once a month. They used to stop over 1/2 way because they were tired, they drive straight through since getting the Pilot, sez it's that much easier to drive ???

And this from Honda.com for 2014's

"Maximum towing capacity for 4WD models is 4,500 lbs. Premium unleaded fuel is recommended when towing above 3,500 lbs. Maximum towing capacity for 2WD models is 2,000 lbs. Towing requires the addition of the Honda accessory towing kit, trailer harness and hitch ball. Trailer harness is standard on Touring models. Please see your Honda dealer for details."

2015 Pilot is a "Complete Redesign" but I couldn't find any numbers yet.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:27 PM   #4

Florida
Bob,

On Honda USA they now have the specs for the 2015. The advantage of the 4WD is a larger transmission cooler, other than that I can't imagine why the 2WD can't tow what the 4WD does.

What ever we will only be towing our Scamp 16 so it appears to me that either will do. I do plan to write to Honda about upgrading the cooling system if we get a 2WD, since Honda marketing and I have been carrying on a dialogue about towing.

The likelihood is well either buy used or a leftover 2014.

Any towing experience will be appreciated.

Ginny thinks we should get a larger car because we're getting older...ditto on getting an automatic.

Thanks for any info....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-13-2014, 04:38 PM   #5
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
We would like one too, but no experience or info to help with your decision. However we were just at a camping rally and another couple there had a brand new Pilot and were towing a fairly big "sticky" camper with it, maybe a 22 or 24 footer, and were happy with it. We'll let you do the experimentation, but you already have Honda reliability experience. Go for it!!
We too have seen many Honda Pilots towing 20'+ TT's over the years.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:40 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Jim Bennett has been towing his 19' Escape with a his Honda Pilot ( no WDH I believe ) for several years and is very happy. I'm surprised he hasn't chimed in yet.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:56 PM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Bob,

On Honda USA they now have the specs for the 2015. The advantage of the 4WD is a larger transmission cooler, other than that I can't imagine why the 2WD can't tow what the 4WD does.

What ever we will only be towing our Scamp 16 so it appears to me that either will do. I do plan to write to Honda about upgrading the cooling system if we get a 2WD, since Honda marketing and I have been carrying on a dialogue about towing.

The likelihood is well either buy used or a leftover 2014.

Any towing experience will be appreciated.

Ginny thinks we should get a larger car because we're getting older...ditto on getting an automatic.

Thanks for any info....
My guess on the towing difference would be that with only FWD they have to limit the towing load to what that transaxle can handle. 4WD certainly would takes a lot of load off the front differential and half shafts and may even be via a different transaxle & transfer case.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:46 PM   #8

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot 13'
Oregon
Registry
I have a 2010 Honda Pilot EXL with the tow package. It does have the transmission cooler, I checked with the local dealer. I'm not sure you get the biggest transmission cooler unless you get the touring model. I'm pulling my 13 ft Lil Bigfoot with it. It does fine now that I'm starting to get used to it. I'm only on my second camping season with the trailer. It pulls the hills fine. I'm not using premium gas at this point I have started using the midgrade gas as that does seem to give it more umph. My gas mileage hasn't been the best at this point and I haven't had it on a really long trip yet. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in soon. I love the car and get 24mpg highway easy when not towing.
MsRubyLu-Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:05 PM   #9
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Honda thinks it can tow!

Hummmmm....... The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Honda Pilot vs Ford Expedition
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:14 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
There was a piece on a consumer show a while ago about the different grades of gas and the conclusion was that vehicles are designed and built to use a certain grade of gas and because optimum ignition is computer controlled, there is no advantage in using a higher grade.
You may find some placebo effect "benefit", but you are just wasting money.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:10 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
I'm sure it would do a fine job of towing your Scamp, although I suspect the mpg's will be mid teens.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:18 PM   #12

Oklahoma
I found this thread on another forum... a guy who towed a much larger trailer with a Pilot. Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Post your tow vehicle pics here
Old 06-14-2014, 05:21 AM   #13

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
honda

We had the 06 honda pilot 4whl drive because it could tow 45oolb .It towed 4000lb boat and trailer no problem got about 12 mpg towing Non towing highway about 21-23 mpg and around town (Naples ,fl.) 15-17 mpg

This was one of my best cars to date but we bought a bigger boat 5200lb and the rear end could not take the extra weight with Pilot's IRS and mileage was not that great . My 07 Sequoia gets 14-17mpg around town and about 18-19 highway towing boat 5200lb about 10-12mpg towing Lil snoozy about 14mpg

I was thinking about a smaller tv for snoozy ?
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:03 AM   #14

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Jim Bennett has been towing his 19' Escape with a his Honda Pilot ( no WDH I believe ) for several years and is very happy. I'm surprised he hasn't chimed in yet.
Haven't chimed in yet, as this is my first foray onto the site in over a day. Life is just too busy.

Ours has worked great for us, and like baglo said, we never used a WDH to tow our Escape 19 until last year, and did so as we wanted my wife driving more, and as she has little experience, I added the Anderson WDH to remove some of those wee towing nuances that I am very used to, but might bother her. She does great towing this combo, especially seeing she has never towed very much at all.

Mine is an '09, which was a changeover year, where they beefed a few things up, and a hitch receiver became standard. I was told last weekend at the Escape Rally that there is a new model coming out sometime soon, but I have not looked into it.

I know towing our 19, our fuel economy drops by 1/3, the actual amount dependant upon lots of conditions, like wind, speed and terrain.

The Pilot would tow your Scamp like a charm, and give you a bit more storage/carrying capacity. I would try it without a WDH too, and see whether you feel one would be necessary.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:23 AM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Personally, I think it would be a great choice. We just completed a round trip from eastern AZ to San Diego (our first longer trip using the Pilot), so I can share some details of the towing experience.

We were pulling a 13' Scamp loaded up for a week at the beach, including 4 bicycles, with 4 people in the Pilot. We experienced some 30 mph headwinds on the way out, and some long grades near home in the White Mountains and in the coastal ranges coming into So Cal. I'm not one to push a machine to its limits, so we cruised at about 55-62 mph on the flats (OD on, per the owner's manual) at 2000-2500 rpm. On grades, we ran at 45-50 mph (OD off, per the manual) at 3000-3500 rpm. We got 18 mpg on the round trip (compared to about 25-26 mpg highway not towing). It was a comfortable, stable tow with no drama. Though large, it has a fairly short wheelbase, so it's surprisingly maneuverable in parking lots and campground sites. Not so nimble as your CRV, of course, but better than the first-generation Sienna van we used to tow with. It is exactly the same width as the Scamp, so we do not need mirror extensions.

Don't know if you are considering 2WD or 4WD and new or used, but here are some things about Pilots to know. In model years 2009-2011, Honda put the full towing package standard on all models. It includes the receiver hitch, 7-way wiring harness, trans cooler, and a brake controller port. The only extra you have to buy is the 7-way connector plug (don't know if that is the right name, but it goes from the wiring harness box to the bumper fascia and gives you a place to plug in). Even that is included on the Touring models. Beginning in 2012, only the 4WD models come with the full towing package standard. They also downgraded the towing limits. For 2009-2011, they are rated to tow 3500/350 (2WD) and 4500/450 (4WD). Starting in 2012, they are rated 2500/250 (2WD) and 3500/350 (4WD). We have a 2011 LX 2WD with about 43K miles to date (bought Honda-certified used at 19K a year ago).

As to reliability, the biggest issue I have heard about relates to the VCM (variable cylinder management) system, which shuts down 2 or 3 cylinders under light throttle. There have been some complaints about engine problems related to the system, apparently enough that Honda has extended the power train warranty to 8/100 under certain conditions. Hard to say how widespread the problem is. Our VCM system works flawlessly and contributes to great highway mileage for so large a vehicle.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:07 PM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Pennsylvania
pilot towing

Hi Ginny and Norm!
We tow a 17' Casita with a 2012 4WD pilot. Before the 17'' which has a roof top ac and a high lift axle we pulled a standard axle 16' which is comparable to your 16' scamp. With the 16, we got 16.5 mpg. That was on a 6000 mile trip across country. On several shorter trips the best we do pulling the 17 is 15 mpg. When we are not hitched, we average 22.0 to 22.5 but we have never taken it on a highway only trip. There is usually some local stuff as well. We live 10 miles from any town.
I would be amazed if I ever got 25 to 26.
It tows the trailer nicely and the backup camera is a very nice feature.

Why not the TDI???
Steve
starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:41 PM   #17

Florida
After being pointed to a thread by Andy Thompson from Can Am it appears that the Honda Odyssey maybe a better choice. Looking forward Odyssey 'towers' now.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-15-2014, 05:29 AM   #18

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
Norm ,Ginny check out a Mazda cx5 (2000lb) or a VW tiguan (2200lb) or a Subaru outback (2700lb) tow rating if you want better gas mileage . We loved our 4whl drive pilot 06 but gas mileage was terrible 15-22mpg non-towing / towing 12mpg a 4000lb boat . I missed what your scamp weighs ? Is is 1600lb like the one for sale ?
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:03 AM   #19

Florida
Jim,

We have a 1991 Scamp 16. It weighs 2600 lbs loaded and has a hitch weight of 200 lbs with a full propane tank. We carry a half tank of water. It tows fine behind our CRV but Ginny thinks we should get a larger vehicle this time for non-towing reasons, it appears reasons related to aging. After ready Andy Ts comments we;re leaning towards the Odyssey now.

Thanks for your input.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 06-15-2014, 06:56 PM   #20

Oklahoma
Those vans handle well and will hold plenty of gear. And since it's still a Honda, you won't have to change your moniker!