Honda pilot towing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2019, 10:33 PM   #1

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Looking for Bigfoot or escape
British Columbia
Honda pilot towing

How careful does one need to be in the amount if gear they would be putting in their rig/TV, if say they wanted to tow a Bigfoot 25B17.5G.

TV is a 2016 AWD Honda pilot.

Thanks
dZtRailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:39 PM   #2

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
Part depends on whether or not you're using a WD hitch. Essentially, load your gear, and head for a nearby scale. Weigh each axle, compare that to your Pilot's front and rear axle gross weight ratings.

We do not use a WD hitch for our 17' Casita, towed with a 4Runner. With a heavy kayak on top, at least 350# of tongue weight, and additional gear, our rear axle weight came in at 3450#, at capacity. Still have 300# to spare up front.

We are trying different setups to see what we can carry differently, in order to leave a bit of capacity.
Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:45 PM   #3

British Columbia
I guess I'm wondering prior to purchasing or looking at a used one. If it was brand new or I could do what you've suggested then perhaps.

But yes more than likely I would use a WD hitch
Old 06-25-2019, 10:50 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Suggest you go to your Honda dealer with your VIN and find out what your vehicle is equipped with and what it is rated to tow. Then, go on from there.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:56 AM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by dZtRailer View Post
How careful fires one need to be in the amount if gear they would be putting in their rig/TV, if say they wanted to tow a Bigfoot 25B17.5G.

TV is a 2016 AWD Honda pilot.
thats a 4500 lb GWR trailer. its also 8' wide and 8'8" tall, so has a big wind load. I'd be very hesitant to tow something that heavy and large with a FWD-centric vehicle like the minivan derived Pilot.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:38 AM   #6

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
The web quotes a 3500-5000 pound towing capacity range and a ~1400-1600 payload (tongue weight counts against this number).

Two of three Bigfeet in Fred's database (17.5) are in the low 4000 pound range and therefore exceed the lower tow vehicle capacity.

It turns out I don't care enough to try and figure out by implication what your actual tow rating and payload is. That's pretty much your job. Being a conservative tower and lacking information, my opinion is I wouldn't tow the Bigfoot pairing never mind worry how the payload is distributed.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:43 AM   #7

British Columbia
I did look at the database and see that the BFs (that were listed) are in the high 3s. My vehicle is rated at 5000lb with the tow package that was installed. Again as much as I would want a truck that's not in the foreseeable future. As such I was asking if anyone has any experience towing a BF with my specific vehicle or in general with a SUV which generally had the same tow capacity.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:48 AM   #8

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
I did look at the database and see that the BFs (that were listed) are in the high 3s. My vehicle is rated at 5000lb with the tow package that was installed. Again as much as I would want a truck that's not in the foreseeable future. As such I was asking if anyone has any experience towing a BF with my specific vehicle or in general with a SUV which generally had the same tow capacity.
I tow a 2002 Bigfoot 17CB with a 2017 Durango RWD. It has a tow capacity of 7200/720. I personally would not tow it with a 5000 capacity tow vehicle.

Jim
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:51 AM   #9

British Columbia
Question then. I've read and seen many individuals towing a 19' escape trailer with SUVs with the same tow capacity and people rave about towing it and the ability tow. And the weight isn't that much different.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:16 AM   #10

Trailer: 2016 Parkliner
Virginia
My Acura MDX has a 5000 limit. With a 4500 GVW baseline, I wouldn't think the Pilot (MDX's honda peer) has enough towing capacity for it.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:49 AM   #11

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Question then. I've read and seen many individuals towing a 19' escape trailer with SUVs with the same tow capacity and people rave about towing it and the ability tow. And the weight doesn't that much different.
I’d find those threads and send the authors private messages. I haven’t seen those threads.

Realize everyone’s towing experience is different. Some are happy going 40mph up steeper grades, some travel light, some haven’t had a white knuckle experience (yet). Some live in the flat lands and only take short trips (weekend campers). And then you have the options or lack of on their Escape 19s.

Ultimately the decision is yours.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:59 AM   #12

Mid Left Coast
Escapes are generally lighter than Bigfoots. I go by the trailer GWR rather than curb weight as I'm usually pretty loaded when traveling, for instance tomorrow I'm rolling out to 6 nights of boondocking, so I'll have a full water tank before I leave, 18G of water is about 150 lbs.

pretty much everyone I've ever seen towing a BF 25B23 is using a 2500 class truck or heavier.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:36 PM   #13

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
I’d find those threads and send the authors private messages. I haven’t seen those threads.

Realize everyone’s towing experience is different. Some are happy going 40mph up steeper grades, some travel light, some haven’t had a white knuckle experience (yet). Some live in the flat lands and only take short trips (weekend campers). And then you have the options or lack of on their Escape 19s.

Ultimately the decision is yours.
Fair enough... I do understand that... And I apologize, I've seen used trailers with individuals selling their escapes that state they used an SUV to tow it. (And sure maybe that's why they are selling).
Old 06-26-2019, 12:37 PM   #14

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post

pretty much everyone I've ever seen towing a BF 25B23 is using a 2500 class truck or heavier.
I wouldn't know about the BF 25B23.... But I'll take your word on it.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:51 PM   #15

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Fair enough... I do understand that... And I apologize, I've seen used trailers with individuals selling their escapes that state they used an SUV to tow it. (And sure maybe that's why they are selling).
many SUVs, such as Toyota 4Runner, Ford Expedition, Chevy/GMC Tahoe and Suburban, are full frame truck based with RWD-centric drive, and are more suitable for towing heavier loads than the socalled 'crossover' FWD/AWD unibody vehicles.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:49 PM   #16

Isle of Wight
Quote:
Question then. I've read and seen many individuals towing a 19' escape trailer with SUVs with the same tow capacity and people rave about towing it and the ability tow. And the weight isn't that much different.
You started off asking about towing a Bigfoot 17. Now it's an Escape 19. What is your actual question?
Old 06-26-2019, 05:30 PM   #17

British Columbia
Well I changed the question (or the thought behind it) because the weight of the Bigfoot trailer and the escape are within the same range +/- a very small margin. I was curious why it seems like there isn't a vote of confidence for a pilot to be the TV but on the escape forums I see many towing an escape with the aforementioned SUV.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:45 PM   #18

Isle of Wight
Quote:
Well I changed the question (or the thought behind it) because the weight of the Bigfoot trailer and the escape are within the same range +/- a very small margin. I was curious why it seems like there isn't a vote of confidence for a pilot to be the TV but on the escape forums I see many towing an escape with the aforementioned SUV.
Gotcha.
As John pointed out, the Bigfoot is "boxier" and presents a larger frontal area to drag through the air. So it needs a "bigger" SUV to comfortably tow it.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:22 PM   #19

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post
Gotcha.
As John pointed out, the Bigfoot is "boxier" and presents a larger frontal area to drag through the air. So it needs a "bigger" SUV to comfortably tow it.
I had the opportunity to view a Bigfoot 17CB I was hoping to buy and an Escape 17B side by side. That made it very clear to me why the owner had expressed some doubt that our Highlander was appropriate for the Bigfoot. It dwarfed the Escape. I saw one picture of a Ridgeline pulling what appeared to be a 17' Bigfoot and it just looked comical.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:46 PM   #20

Mid Left Coast
our f250 would quite comfortably pull a big bigfoot. my wife likes the rear queen version, I think thats a 25' ? we'd use a WDH with that rig. but we're happy with our E'21, and a bigfoot 25RQ is $$$$$$.