Honda Ridgeline and an Oliver Legacy 23 - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2018, 09:30 AM   #61

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip in Ga. View Post
ABSOLUTELY!!
The owners manual for our 09 Ridgeline says to tow in "Drive". And, that to tow with OD disabled could cause the tranny to overheat. But disable overdrive on steep declines, to take advantage of engine braking.

Problem with the G1 Ridgelines is than when OD is disabled the tranny drops to 3rd gear. In reality, in normal driving it rarely goes to 3rd in these N.Georgia rolling hills. It does shift back and forth between 4th and 5th.

I normally set the cruse control at 58-60 and let the tranny decide the gear it needs. Of course there are times when disabling OD seems like the best thing to do if searching between 3 and 4 is prevalent. .

Very level terrain as in Florida or much of Kentucky with no headwind will yield 16-18 mpg towing the Casita SD17.
Reasonably level terrain will yield 14-16 mpg . But throw in more challenging terrain and 12-13 is the order of the day.

We enjoy the Ridgeline due to it's excellent Ride and good fuel mileage of 23-25 on trips at 62-65 mph. And 17-19 locally. Not many AWD P/Us will do that.

Only about 10% is towing. If it was a lot more or the trips were really long we would have a full size V8 (Gas) P/U.

No way in the world would I care to tow much more than 3000-3200 Lbs of trailer with our G1 Ridgeline. . Unless I was restricting towing to a flat state!

"just because we can do something, doesn't necessarily mean we should".

I prefer a healthy margin of reserve power.

k
I owned a 2008 Ridgeline before we moved up to a 2017 Ridgeline and I can say that you must have one exceptional 2009 to get the fuel mileage that you get. Myself and three other friends who own Ridgeline's have never got that good of fuel mileage on there G1's. Now the G2 is a different story they do get around 5 miles per gallon better then the G1's. I think much has to do because of the 6 speed transmissions and I think the 2019's have the 10 speed transmission. All being said, the Ridgeline's do a very good job for towing trailers within there towing specs. Note the G2's do not have the transmission shifting problems that the G1's have, probably because of the 6-10 speed transmissions handle the trailer loads much better.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:10 AM   #62

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Yes it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
I owned a 2008 Ridgeline before we moved up to a 2017 Ridgeline and I can say that you must have one exceptional 2009 to get the fuel mileage that you get. Myself and three other friends who own Ridgeline's have never got that good of fuel mileage on there G1's. Now the G2 is a different story they do get around 5 miles per gallon better then the G1's. I think much has to do because of the 6 speed transmissions and I think the 2019's have the 10 speed transmission. All being said, the Ridgeline's do a very good job for towing trailers within there towing specs. Note the G2's do not have the transmission shifting problems that the G1's have, probably because of the 6-10 speed transmissions handle the trailer loads much better.

trainman
That is what it gets. I drive sensibly and use only top tier gasoline. I use 89 Octane when towing. I have friends with Ridgelines also. They moan and groan about their mileage.
But they drive a lot more aggressively than I do, and at higher speeds.

Yeah when not towing, if I drive 80 mph the mileage drops to 17-18. But at 62 it averages 24-26 depending on terrain and weather exceptions. And if I tow 65ish the mileages will drop 2-3 from above 58-60 mph posted above. .

These are calculated at the pump with a calculator. And that generally agrees with the slightly optimistic dash average.

Example: On one trip we camped at Cloudland Canyon State park in Ga. After setting up camp we decided to go to town several miles away. I reset the Trip B on the dash. For that trip to Trenton Ga. the average was 48mpg according to the dash.

k

PS: FWIW, the trip back up the mountain to the campground was closer to 9 mpg. Terrain can make a huge difference.
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oliver