Honda Ridgeline and an Oliver Legacy 23 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2018, 09:11 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Honda Ridgeline and an Oliver Legacy 23

My 2017 Honda Ridgeline has a GVWR of 6019 with 600lbs. allowed hitch weigh and is rated at 5000lbs. towing weight. The Oliver Legacy 23 Elite weighs in at 4600lbs. and a hitch weight of 460lbs. I was think that the Ridgeline would not be rated for the Oliver, but after watching this video I have changed my mine and looks like it can. I do realize that the difference between trailer weight and truck GVWR is about 1400lbs. Since we do travel light and don't over pack our trailer I feel we can stay somewhere around 500lbs. less then max allowed weight. Watch the video and see what you think, the trailer they are pulling weighs 4800lbs. and they gave the Ridgeline high marks. What do you think.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:32 AM   #2

Name: Perry
Trailer: Casita 17' SD
California
Registry
Trainman - when we were doing our research before buying our Ridgeline RTLT-AWD I watched many videos to see what the truck was capable of towing. The Ridgeline in the TFL Truck video was borrowed from this guy who regularly tows his Winnebago Minnie 1801FB with documented weight at the scale of 4,440#. He regularly tows his trailer in Colorado over the mountain passes at the speed limit or higher, so I think the truck is very capable of towing right up to its 5,000#. Here is his video with the same Ridgeline going over the Ike Gaunlet...

EggRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:08 AM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
Options will affect your trailer weight. Our Oliver weighed 5100 lbs when they rolled it out of the factory. Packed and with a full fresh tank we’re probably north of 5500 lbs when we camp. Even traveling light will put you close to your limit. We initially towed with a Tacoma with at 6500 max tow and it did fine. The Oliver is a nice trailer to tow. We eventually went with a bigger truck so we didn’t have to stop at every gas station and so we could safely carry more stuff. Mike
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:19 AM   #4

Texas
Thanks, EggRoll. What a great response to my post on the Ridgeline and what it can do. This is my second RL the first was a 2008, then we purchased our 2017 RL and had no idea that we would purchase a travel trailer in the future so another RL was our choice. Now we have a Casita (2650lbs.) and the RL pulls it with no problem, in fact most of the time we don't know its back there. Like everything else we love the Casita, but find it a little small at times and of course we fell in love with the Oliver when we saw them at one of the rallies we went to. Our RL (RTL-T AWD) is two years old and only has 11,000 miles on it so you can see why I hate to trade at this time, plus I'm a Honda guy and would like to keep the RL. Most of our camping adventures will mainly be in Texas where we live and the surrounding states, but we do go to Colorado at least once a years, we love Durango. Thanks again, looks like the RL can do the job. We are minimalist campers so I feel it will be easy for us to stay within the weight limits.

trainman
Old 07-15-2018, 06:30 AM   #5

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol and Mike View Post
Options will affect your trailer weight. Our Oliver weighed 5100 lbs when they rolled it out of the factory. Packed and with a full fresh tank we’re probably north of 5500 lbs when we camp. Even traveling light will put you close to your limit. We initially towed with a Tacoma with at 6500 max tow and it did fine. The Oliver is a nice trailer to tow. We eventually went with a bigger truck so we didn’t have to stop at every gas station and so we could safely carry more stuff. Mike
Good point on options, we have been looking at the option list for the Oliver and have pretty much narrowed it down to just the upgrade counter tops. Boondocking is something we probably won't consider doing, so battery upgrades, solar equipment, will not be added to the trailer. We are pretty much minimalist campers so we tend to travel lite, if we don't use it, it's not going with us and if we need it, Walmart here we come.

trainman
Old 07-15-2018, 07:11 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
The only time a 17 ft Casita weighs anything close to 2650 lbs is the day it leaves the factory and before you fill the propane tanks . I suggest you check “ Trailer weights in the real world “
From my research , I would estimate an Oliver’s tongue weight is in the 600 lb range and the loaded trailer weight is well over 5000 lbs
I wouldn’t attempt to tow an Oliver with my Ram1500 and pretend I was under my vehicles limits
To me packing light is sort of a pipe dream . Going camping with a totally empty trailer to keep the weight down just ain’t going to happen . Every pound counts !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:51 AM   #7

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita SD
North Carolina
Tongue weight Oliver Elite II

We checked mine and another Elite II and both ran approx. 640 lb on the tongue weight. Fresh tank at 100%, 30 lb propane tanks. Dry weight was 4680. So double check tongue weight. I have used vehicles in the past where load rating are in range but didn’t handle the trailer in a safe manner even using weight and sway control. So just be careful.
Lee in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:56 AM   #8

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I wouldn’t try it with my F150 with a 5.4 V8.

I’ve tried marginal towing before where everything had to be perfect, minimal packing, no water, etc. even then up steep grades was challenging. Never again.

Dry weight is a dream. But it sells a lot of trailers.

I like towing with some water in the fresh tank. First rest stop and having water on board is a distinct advantage. And do you want to drain out all the water every morning before you leave the campground and then fill back up every evening before camping for the night.

A lot of our “boondocking” is not on purpose. It’s staying in National, Provincial or State parks where no hookups exist or only electric hookups. Our upcoming trip to Alaska, only two or three nights will have full hookups.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:45 AM   #9

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
🤔 I think your really stretching it! The first is the dry weight is 4600 lbs, the gvw is 7000 lbs. who tows an empty trailer? Just a tank of water adds 240 lbs. Now look at the trailer in your video, much narrower and more streamlined than the Oliver. I think it’s a big mistake to base your tow vehicle based in light weight as opposed to GVW. From what I can see it seems a six pack and an extra pair of socks will put you over the tow rating. 😎
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:17 AM   #10

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita 17 FD
Florida
Honda Ridgeline as a Tow Vehicle

I have no idea about the practical weight limit for towing with a Honda Ridgeline, but I do have a significant insight from having a Ridgeline and towing a Casita 17 FD with it.

I purchased the Ridgeline thinking that its very good fuel economy (in the range of 20 or more MPG) would provide a cost savings on long camping trips with our trailer.

However, what I found is that the Ridgeline is so finely tuned to get the maximum horsepower and mileage out of it, when you hitch a trailer to it the fuel efficiency falls drastically.

On other sites I have read polls of owners of similar Casitas and their mileage with their two vehicle.

What I found (after buying the Ridgeline) was that the owners of big "real trucks" got about 15 or 16 mpg in normal driving in a combination of town and highway driving. When they towed their 17' Casita, their mileage stayed almost the same, maybe falling by 1-2 mpg.

However, in my initial trip with my Ridgeline/Casita, and in all other trips, I found that I was getting only about 11 mpg. It is not the weight that does it so much but the wind resistance, but going up even slight grades on the relatively flat Florida Interstate highways, the Ridgeline down shifts two gears, and you can almost hear the gasoline rushing out of the tank.

So, my advice is that if you are buying the Ridgeline for its mileage in anticipation of long trips towing your trailer...don't do it.

If, however, you are like I am and only take occasional, non-cross-country trips with your trailer, you may, like I do, find the Ridgeline's smooth driving and good mileage when you are not towing ...you may find that an acceptable trade-off for the extra cost of gasoline on your camping trips.
GatorCasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:30 AM   #11

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorCasita View Post
I have no idea about the practical weight limit for towing with a Honda Ridgeline, but I do have a significant insight from having a Ridgeline and towing a Casita 17 FD with it.

I purchased the Ridgeline thinking that its very good fuel economy (in the range of 20 or more MPG) would provide a cost savings on long camping trips with our trailer.

However, what I found is that the Ridgeline is so finely tuned to get the maximum horsepower and mileage out of it, when you hitch a trailer to it the fuel efficiency falls drastically.

On other sites I have read polls of owners of similar Casitas and their mileage with their two vehicle.

What I found (after buying the Ridgeline) was that the owners of big "real trucks" got about 15 or 16 mpg in normal driving in a combination of town and highway driving. When they towed their 17' Casita, their mileage stayed almost the same, maybe falling by 1-2 mpg.

However, in my initial trip with my Ridgeline/Casita, and in all other trips, I found that I was getting only about 11 mpg. It is not the weight that does it so much but the wind resistance, but going up even slight grades on the relatively flat Florida Interstate highways, the Ridgeline down shifts two gears, and you can almost hear the gasoline rushing out of the tank.

So, my advice is that if you are buying the Ridgeline for its mileage in anticipation of long trips towing your trailer...don't do it.

If, however, you are like I am and only take occasional, non-cross-country trips with your trailer, you may, like I do, find the Ridgeline's smooth driving and good mileage when you are not towing ...you may find that an acceptable trade-off for the extra cost of gasoline on your camping trips.
You must have the G1 older Ridgeline, I had one a 2008 and the fuel mileage was not so good, in town around 14 and highway 19, pulling a trailer around 11-12 as you say. We pull a 2018 17' Casita with our new 2017 Ridgeline and just got back from Colorado last week and averaged 17.2 mpg. The new Ridgeline will get 21-22 in town and 25-26 highway without trailer, the new G2's get much better fuel mileage then older models.

trainman
Old 07-15-2018, 11:41 AM   #12

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The only time a 17 ft Casita weighs anything close to 2650 lbs is the day it leaves the factory and before you fill the propane tanks . I suggest you check “ Trailer weights in the real world “
From my research , I would estimate an Oliver’s tongue weight is in the 600 lb range and the loaded trailer weight is well over 5000 lbs
I wouldn’t attempt to tow an Oliver with my Ram1500 and pretend I was under my vehicles limits
To me packing light is sort of a pipe dream . Going camping with a totally empty trailer to keep the weight down just ain’t going to happen . Every pound counts !!
Well Steve I pretty much knew what you said, I just had to here it from a fellow poster. I guess the Ridgeline will have to go if we decide to upgrade our trailer. Since your a Ram guy and I owned one some 20 years ago it might be time to try another one. So would you go with a 3/4 ton, gas hemi, 2-wheel drive. I really don't want to go the diesel route if I don't have to and as far as 2/4-wheel drive I really would rather stick to the 2/wheel drive, I have a new Jeep Wrangler for 4-wheeling if needed.

trainman
Old 07-15-2018, 12:11 PM   #13

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Well Steve I pretty much knew what you said, I just had to here it from a fellow poster. I guess the Ridgeline will have to go if we decide to upgrade our trailer. Since your a Ram guy and I owned one some 20 years ago it might be time to try another one. So would you go with a 3/4 ton, gas hemi, 2-wheel drive. I really don't want to go the diesel route if I don't have to and as far as 2/4-wheel drive I really would rather stick to the 2/wheel drive, I have a new Jeep Wrangler for 4-wheeling if needed.

trainman
My 2014 Ram 1500 has a payload capacity of 1300 lbs
I looked at a new 2019 Ram 1500 similarly equipped and the payload was around 1450 lbs . Upgrading our truck and only gaining 150 lbs of payload doesn't make sense to me
I am not really a Ram guy , I have owned several Ford and Chevy trucks so anyone of the 3 is okay with me
We are planning a trip to the Oliver factory this September and if my wife decides that the Oliver is the trailer for us then we will decide on a vehicle
If money was not a concern , I would go with a 3/4 ton diesel but your looking at $60 K +
I would like to be able to load up the stuff I want , hitch up my trailer and go instead of constantly having to watch what and how we load our trailer .

Good Luck

PS ; We live in snow country and need to be able to get places in the winter
It doesn’t take much snow to stop a 2 wheel drive truck
Old 07-15-2018, 12:33 PM   #14

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
Quote:

trainman
👍👍 You can easily find a 1/2 ton that can handle that trailer without going to diesel. My preference is Ford but GM and Ram have pretty good contenders. Just make sure the payload (and add in the lawn chairs, cooler and maybe a screen room in case you grow out of the minimalist stage) as well as the tow ratings meet your demands. Do the research because there are salesmen out there that would tell you that the Smart Car they are trying to sell you will do the job.
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:46 PM   #15

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Hotchkiss View Post
👍👍 You can easily find a 1/2 ton that can handle that trailer without going to diesel. My preference is Ford but GM and Ram have pretty good contenders. Just make sure the payload (and add in the lawn chairs, cooler and maybe a screen room in case you grow out of the minimalist stage) as well as the tow ratings meet your demands. Do the research because there are salesmen out there that would tell you that the Smart Car they are trying to sell you will do the job.
Minimalist means, well I'm not too sure what it means as we are already taking the items you mentioned above, I guess I'm going to have to not use that term minimalist in my postings.

trainman
Old 07-15-2018, 02:06 PM   #16

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I would consider using an F150 if I got a 3.5EB motor with the max payload package. Depending on the options you pick, you can get F150s with 2,000 to even OVER 3,000 pound payloads. You are probably not going to find one on a dealer's lot, but if you order the truck, you can get one.

My F150 has a 1500 pound payload. But then I added side steps, a camper top, spray in Bedliner, all come out of that 1500 pounds. The margin for error, with two passengers, our dog, stuff in the cab of the truck, stuff in the bed of the truck, and even the weight of the receiver hitch, and that payload drops a lot. Then subtract tongue weight, and it would be negative on the big Oliver. Again, if I had a F150 with fewer options, and the max payload package, I would be well within the specs.

Spec'd carefully, the new F150s rival older F350s in tow rating and payload. Hard to believe, but a new F150 3.5 EB max tow set up has a higher tow rating than a 2002 F350 dually with a diesel motor.

Now whether it performs as well or better in the real world, I have no idea.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:57 PM   #17

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
I would consider using an F150 if I got a 3.5EB motor with the max payload package. Depending on the options you pick, you can get F150s with 2,000 to even OVER 3,000 pound payloads. You are probably not going to find one on a dealer's lot, but if you order the truck, you can get one.

My F150 has a 1500 pound payload. But then I added side steps, a camper top, spray in Bedliner, all come out of that 1500 pounds. The margin for error, with two passengers, our dog, stuff in the cab of the truck, stuff in the bed of the truck, and even the weight of the receiver hitch, and that payload drops a lot. Then subtract tongue weight, and it would be negative on the big Oliver. Again, if I had a F150 with fewer options, and the max payload package, I would be well within the specs.

Spec'd carefully, the new F150s rival older F350s in tow rating and payload. Hard to believe, but a new F150 3.5 EB max tow set up has a higher tow rating than a 2002 F350 dually with a diesel motor.

Now whether it performs as well or better in the real world, I have no idea.
Bill have you priced a F150 with the optional max payload ,max towing package and 3.5 liter eco boost ?
Our local Ford dealership said if I wanted those options they had to order the vehicle and they could sell me a 3/4 ton truck off their lot for almost the same
price .

Just Curious
Old 07-15-2018, 03:25 PM   #18

Florida
G2 Honda Ridgelines

Quote:
You must have the G1 older Ridgeline, I had one a 2008 and the fuel mileage was not so good, in town around 14 and highway 19, pulling a trailer around 11-12 as you say. We pull a 2018 17' Casita with our new 2017 Ridgeline and just got back from Colorado last week and averaged 17.2 mpg. The new Ridgeline will get 21-22 in town and 25-26 highway without trailer, the new G2's get much better fuel mileage then older models.

trainman
Trainman, that is very good news. I was thinking that it was time to get a new truck. I love my 2008 Honda Ridgeline, except for the gas mileage while towing. I love the comfort and drive (like a luxury car), love the built in trunk (so much of my camping gear stays there (do not have a big garage or other good storage at my home), because the Casita has almost no storage outside the trailer, love having 4WD (lots of sand in FL) and I love having the topper to protect all the other stuff we pack in there when camping.

I did not know what I was going to do about buying a new truck, but if you are right, I would buy another Ridgeline.

Can someone else please confirm that they have similarly had the positive mileage experience with a newer G2?????
Old 07-15-2018, 04:03 PM   #19

Florida
G2 Honda Ridgelines Mileage

Trainman,

I searched the Internet and found only one test of towing mileage of a G2 Ridgeline. Before I read it, I was almost ready to buy a new G2 as my 2008 G1 is getting a little beat up.

However, that test towed a narrow horse trailer with a rounded front like a Casita... I wish I had saved the link.

The bad news is that it got only 11.8 MPG.

Now the test said something like they drove on the highway loop typically at 70 MPH. So now I am wondering....are you perhaps one of those Casita owners who tow at 55 MPH, if so, that might explain your good mileage.

Me, I like to drive between 65 to 70 to at least drive at the speed limit on the Interstate.

Please reply and let us know your typical towing speed.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:18 PM   #20

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorCasita View Post
Trainman,

I searched the Internet and found only one test of towing mileage of a G2 Ridgeline. Before I read it, I was almost ready to buy a new G2 as my 2008 G1 is getting a little beat up.

However, that test towed a narrow horse trailer with a rounded front like a Casita... I wish I had saved the link.

The bad news is that it got only 11.8 MPG.

Now the test said something like they drove on the highway loop typically at 70 MPH. So now I am wondering....are you perhaps one of those Casita owners who tow at 55 MPH, if so, that might explain your good mileage.

Me, I like to drive between 65 to 70 to at least drive at the speed limit on the Interstate.

Please reply and let us know your typical towing speed.
I think if you watch the video you are speaking about, you will find the trailer and cargo was 4800+pounds and it was on the highway going toward the Continental Divide to the Eisenhower Tunnel, it is 8 miles at a 7% grade. You might go to the Honda Ridgeline Forum where much is talked about trailer pulling and fuel mileage. Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

trainman

Tags
oliver