How does 4Runner Toyota tow ? - Fiberglass RV



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-14-2019, 01:10 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Name: Wendy
Trailer: shopping
California
Posts: 4
Question How does 4Runner Toyota tow ?

How does 4Runner Toyota tow ?



Alas, our 2000 tow vehicle is finally getting ready to kick-it.


We have a 17' Casita. Wondering how the 4Runner (Toyota) tows. It is rated at 4500-5000. However, the vehicle is very heavy on it's own. Test drive included a sluggish uphill run. Any input from you Toyota folks. We would like to stay with a 6 cylinder for efficient fuel mileage.
__________________

Westwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 02:02 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
ZachO's Avatar
 
Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Posts: 1,797
Registry
One thing I've realized after spending enough time around other vehicles is that a Toyota V6 is not necessarily more efficient than a good V8. In many cases it's less fuel efficient.

Are you talking brand new?

If it was sluggish uphill without a trailer, well, you can guess how it'll be with one. A lot depends on the trailer. Any 13' will be no problem. Most 16-17.5' will be ok. It'll just be slow. Payload limit is what will get you, so pay attention to that. I'm not aware of any trailer 17' or less that's over 4,000lbs, unless it's heavily modified or completely filled with junk.
__________________

ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 02:05 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: Lite House
Minnesota
Posts: 313
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Any 13' will be no problem. Most 16-17.5' will be ok. It'll just be slow.
Pretty much what I was going to say (I have an FJ Cruiser which has the same drivetrain as the 4Runner).
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 02:52 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Dave and Kathie's Avatar
 
Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Posts: 398
Registry
Greetings,


We towed our 17 Casita FD with a V6 and a V8 4runner. The V6 was a litelesluggish on steep uphill runs but other that that it was a great tow vehicle. We traveled thousands of miles around the western US with it. We happended to have a few extra coins before we retired and traded for a V8 (sadly no longer available, that particular engine is now in the Lexus). We were glad we did when Reace, from ETI, came along with the 21 we were all set. Hated to give up the Casita but it went to some folks who are now camping buddies. I believe it weighed around 3300 lbs (axle) fully loaded with about 1/3 fresh water and around 400 tongue weight.



Good luck! We are 4runner fans, don't know what we'll do when we need to replace it, although our mechanic says we have at least another 100,000 on it (it's an 06).


Kathie
__________________
"I do not understand how anyone can live without some small place of enchantment to turn to." M K Rawlings


Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:38 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Name: Wendy
Trailer: shopping
California
Posts: 4
Great info. Wondering about next move. Will check out some of the V8s as a comparison.
Westwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:40 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Name: Wendy
Trailer: shopping
California
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave and Kathie View Post
Greetings,


We towed our 17 Casita FD with a V6 and a V8 4runner. The V6 was a litelesluggish on steep uphill runs but other that that it was a great tow vehicle. We traveled thousands of miles around the western US with it. We happended to have a few extra coins before we retired and traded for a V8 (sadly no longer available, that particular engine is now in the Lexus). We were glad we did when Reace, from ETI, came along with the 21 we were all set. Hated to give up the Casita but it went to some folks who are now camping buddies. I believe it weighed around 3300 lbs (axle) fully loaded with about 1/3 fresh water and around 400 tongue weight.



Good luck! We are 4runner fans, don't know what we'll do when we need to replace it, although our mechanic says we have at least another 100,000 on it (it's an 06).


Kathie
Thank-you for the info. Upgrading to a little larger unit is actually one of the things I am looking at. The 4Runner will not pull a 21 footer...
Westwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:41 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Name: Wendy
Trailer: shopping
California
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
One thing I've realized after spending enough time around other vehicles is that a Toyota V6 is not necessarily more efficient than a good V8. In many cases it's less fuel efficient.

Are you talking brand new?

If it was sluggish uphill without a trailer, well, you can guess how it'll be with one. A lot depends on the trailer. Any 13' will be no problem. Most 16-17.5' will be ok. It'll just be slow. Payload limit is what will get you, so pay attention to that. I'm not aware of any trailer 17' or less that's over 4,000lbs, unless it's heavily modified or completely filled with junk.
Thank-you for the info. So much to consider !
Westwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:21 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Name: Maria
Trailer: In the market
Maryland
Posts: 6
Thumbs up Toyota Tacoma V6

I have a 2011 Tacoma V6. The mileage is pitiful! In town driving, empty bed and 15 mpg. Highway, downhill, between 17-19. I dread having to pull my Casita (or Parkliner) when I find it. Am thinking I'll get 12 mpg ::sigh::. The only good thing is that it's paid for.


Wishing you much good luck.
Maria in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 07:34 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
ZachO's Avatar
 
Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Posts: 1,797
Registry
Toyotas are great for problem-free longevity (though of course you'll find people who argue this). And they've always been thought of as efficient, because of the small trucks they came out with in the 70's during the oil problems back then. But the best I've ever gotten out of a 4x4 Toyota was 22mpg in a 4 cylinder on flat ground.

My little truck with a little V6 gets 19mpg highway, unloaded. 12-14 towing. Which, really, isn't all that bad. A lot of people are getting closer to 9mpg in whatever tow vehicle they have. That's what my friends with V8 Tundras are getting. But 19 unloaded and 12-14 towing is definitely nothing to brag about. To just throw some non-specific numbers out there, in a good full size truck with a V8, I could probably be getting 21 on the highway unloaded, 17 towing. And a lot less wear & tear on a larger, stronger truck.

I'd rather not drive anything but Toyota, but I can definitely see a full size Chevy in my future, assuming I continue to own a trailer, which is never a sure thing.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:31 AM   #10
Member
 
Name: Tom
Trailer: Casita
CA
Posts: 45
So not quite a 4 Runner, but I have a 2012 Toyota Tacoma X-Runner pickup. This is a two wheel drive street truck with a 6 speed manual transmission and a 4.0 liter V6. The stick does limit the towing capacity to 3,400 lbs, but it works fine with my Casita 17. In this case, I am limited by the clutch, not the motor.

Empty, I get 18 city and 22 highway. 24 if my wife is driving! Towing, I get about 15 in mountains and 18 to 19 on the flat.

Power? My motto is Shift Early and Shift Often! I will shift down as far as third at highway speeds. That's about 2,800 rpm at 60 mph, and with a red line around 5,500 or so, that's plenty of margin. Like this, I can hold 60 mph at about half throttle on a steep grade and have power left over for pulling around a slow truck. Taking the Grapevine for example, that's a 4th gear pull for me. A third gear pull might be a 7% to 10% grade. Not too bad for a V6.

But I do believe that shifting down early is easier on the motor than lugging it. I know the automatics tend to do their own thing, but shifting helps a lot.
TomE11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:19 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
Posts: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westwell View Post
Great info. Wondering about next move. Will check out some of the V8s as a comparison.
V8, V6, Straight 6, 4 cylinder, makes no difference. It all comes down to TORQUE and reduction ratio. A long stoke, slow speed engine can pull as much as a short stroke high speed engine. But the high speed requires a greater overall reduction ratio to the axles.
To expect a TV to go uphill in high gear with no effort, requires excessive power.
Engines are smaller to save weight. They run at high RPMs and rely on a multi-gear transmission to convert high speed/low torque to low speed/high torque at the wheels.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 11:15 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Bernese Bunch's Avatar
 
Name: Diane
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Delaware
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westwell View Post
How does 4Runner Toyota tow ?



Alas, our 2000 tow vehicle is finally getting ready to kick-it.


We have a 17' Casita. Wondering how the 4Runner (Toyota) tows. It is rated at 4500-5000. However, the vehicle is very heavy on it's own. Test drive included a sluggish uphill run. Any input from you Toyota folks. We would like to stay with a 6 cylinder for efficient fuel mileage.
I'm not an automotive whiz but my '14 Runner does fine with the Lil Snoozy. It weighs in <3000 lbs. I have 2 big dogs (250 lbs total) in the rear compartment while driving if that makes any difference! We have not been to high mountain ranges but it does fine going up and down the rolling hills and mountains in the mid-Atlantic region. I have automatic engine braking so I can just roll along and let the Runner do its work. So far all is good!
Bernese Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:14 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Name: Anne
Trailer: Casita
Virginia
Posts: 7
Try a Highlander

We recently traded our 2009 RAV4 V6 for a 2017 Highlander V6. We have pulled our 17’ Casita with both with no problems, but the Highlander definitely has more power. It has a 5000 lb tow rating and is a pleasure to drive.
amieVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 05:31 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
Posts: 100
Our 2017 4Runner tows our 17' Liberty Deluxe just fine. On long, steep grades, we occasionally slow down to 40 MPH, but that's fine. Mileage is about 14-16 at 60-65 MPH. We recently returned from a trip where we pulled the grade west of Laughlin in 90 degree weather, with the A/C on, and the 4Runner barely broke a sweat (ATF 250 degrees, water 195). We figure it will last a long time, and it's great for backcountry travel. I will say, with a heavy kayak on top, and the back filled with camping stuff (outdoor kitchen etc.) that we did use all 3450# of rear axle capacity. We don't experience sway - use a friction anti-sway device, plus the vehicle has software to correct sway.
__________________

Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Towing with a 2005 Toyota 4Runner Gerry Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 42 12-28-2018 02:18 PM
For Sale: Toyota 4Runner Brake Controller and Suspension Enhancement System richardr Misc: Buy | Sell | Trade 0 05-05-2017 07:03 PM
Toyota 4Runner as TV JBB General Chat 13 09-30-2012 08:01 AM
Used Toyota 4Runner to tow 16' Casita Monica M Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 15 01-11-2009 07:17 PM
Trailer Mirrors - 1999 Toyota 4Runner Victor Benz Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 3 05-14-2006 10:40 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.