How far do you tow in a day? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2019, 03:53 PM   #61

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I have never liked reservations, but they are getting more and more necessary. Often reservations can affect both speed and distance traveled.....
Absolutely, and having a reservation may cause you to forgo an experience that you may never stumble on again. Some of my most treasured memories are of places that I stumbled on and spent half a day exploring.

Of course, it all depends on the reasons for the trip. Sometimes the destination is the priority, and other times it's the journey.

--Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 04:51 PM   #62

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2019 Casita SD, former HiLo and Sunline
Florida
We have a rule that we invented (we think) now that we are 70+ seniors and retired. “Four and four” we call it, and it means that we drive for about four hours (behind-the-wheel time), and pull into a campsite at about 4:00 pm. In general, we depart at 9:00 am, have a leisurely lunch and nap, and take a few tourist breaks. We usually clear 250 miles per day, but may push it up to 300 depending on circumstances. We sometimes use Interstates, but far prefer the two-lane US or state highways so that we can stop and smell the flowers or just chew the fat with an interesting character. We also have a weakness for museums.
Dave40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 06:10 PM   #63

Name: Mark
Trailer: Casita
Texas
2-2-2 rule

We try to follow the 2-2-2 rule: Drive 2 hours, arrive before 2:00pm, and stay 2 nights.
Wandering-NotLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:59 PM   #64

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
The problem I have run into is that unreserved sites are first come first serve. Obviously reserved is reserved. So mostly if I am going anywhere I find that even without a reason for them being extra busy mostly about 5 or so they are booked. Or at least some of the places will be. Obviously reservation means that you have a spot as long as you arrive OR CALL before the release time for the camp ground.

The **** happens thing is another reason for practicing with setting up your camper. If you have a reservation and let them know you are still arriving you can arrive late and setup late almost all of these places. But that means setting up in the dark. Two head lamps and a flashlight are a requirement in my mind. But without a reservation you have to get there about 4 or so. And then you might have to spend sopme time finding a place. And if it is really busy you still might be out of luck. With a reservation 30 minutes before dark is my general goal. Note that if it is not a place where it is going to be prebooked because of an event a lot of times that reservation is made about noon by calling the campground once I decide where I want to be to camp that night.

Off topic: By the way when I do a cave tour the rule for entering a cave without a commercial tour guide is everyone has three sources of light. I consider that the guide is one. But I have a small flashlight on me. I also generally have a second source of light on me hidden. If I have my kid with me, she has a flashlight on her too. You never know.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 09:07 PM   #65

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave40 View Post
We have a rule that we invented (we think) now that we are 70+ seniors and retired. “Four and four” we call it, and it means that we drive for about four hours (behind-the-wheel time), and pull into a campsite at about 4:00 pm. In general, we depart at 9:00 am, have a leisurely lunch and nap, and take a few tourist breaks. We usually clear 250 miles per day, but may push it up to 300 depending on circumstances. We sometimes use Interstates, but far prefer the two-lane US or state highways so that we can stop and smell the flowers or just chew the fat with an interesting character. We also have a weakness for museums.

Still a working stiff so have to push harder than that. But if I have the kid(s) with me I generally plan for a full day to a reserved site. Staying a full day with some tourist activities and a lot of kid high action things, and their going to bed late. The another long day drive where they are like kind of tired and willing to be simi quiet for the day. Then if needed another day's break. With proper planning you can make real good use of the down days.

Also have some simi family. ANd I go with a friend who is a full member of that family and her kid to meet them with their kids. We are both about 2 hard days drive apart. But along the middle line there are some good vacation and education locations. So we choose one and both do a long drive to it and camp there for several days and then go home. Works well.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:16 AM   #66

Name: T
Trailer: Designing and building
Florida
Not retired, and towing a 5x12 fiberglass teardrop at a cruising speed of 58-62mph.

Longest consecutive days were 2,745 miles over three days. This was Fort Lauderdale to Southern Kentucky, then to Central Nebraska, then Central Eastern Idaho. I don't suggest doing this, as the cumulative time is overwhelming. I did make it in time for the birthday party!

Typical "gotta be there" days are more like 800-900 miles, and vacation travel days are about half that.

Not sure what we will end up doing when we actually have free time.....
Thomcat316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:44 AM   #67

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
I still have time constraints. DW limits trips...

Last trip my wife flew home after the destination. I probably will do this again.
In our case it's my wife's career that limits our time. Driving to meet her, with her flying in and out, has been the norm for several years now.

The July 2017 Trek o' Doom was one of those. Drove 2,750 miles in three days to meet her, then a few days with her family, then a solid week in Yellowstone, then she flew out of SLC. I took longer to drive back to Fort Lauderdale...
Old 11-04-2019, 08:42 AM   #68

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
We pull a 16' U-Haul at highway speed+2mph, if I am going to Wichita KS I drive straight through,14 to 16 he we have a 2017 suburban getting 17mpg it doesn't know the trailer is back there, if we are going somewhere else we stop when we want some days only 100 miles, some 500
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:10 AM   #69

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
We spent Friday going to and coming back from Canada. It took 12 hours door to door; but we spent 4 hours visiting, touring, eating, and shopping with our grandson; I was in and out of the car numerous times. I used the walker, the wheelchair, a booster cushion, and kept up with my meds.

For those going into Canada, unless you have a Nexus pass, stay out of the Nexus line. The only Nexus I knew about was replicants from Blade Runner...that's not what it means. Canadian Border Patrol tried hard to convince us that coming back into the US mis-using the Nexus line gets you an automatic $500 fine. The Canadian border patrol let us into Canada with a "sternly worded caution."

This is by far the longest outing I've had since last December; it gives me some hope we may be using Peanut for camping again one of these months. There are more hurdles...
. But I made it home in one piece, not too bad overall.

Happy Trails.
BEST
"K"
Old 11-04-2019, 01:12 PM   #70

Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
We spent Friday going to and coming back from Canada. It took 12 hours door to door; but we spent 4 hours visiting, touring, eating, and shopping with our grandson; I was in and out of the car numerous times. I used the walker, the wheelchair, a booster cushion, and kept up with my meds....
Bravo on your successful excursion, and thanks for the Nexux info. I had never hear of it.

--Harold
Old 11-04-2019, 01:24 PM   #71

Registry
Thanks, Dr. Harold.

Yes, that Nexus lane really surprised us. The border agent kept asking, "Why would you even USE this lane?" and I finally said over Paul, "We haven't been up there for twenty years!"

How things have changed! That was before 9/11 the last time we crossed; it was just so easy then to roll right on over the border.

I wonder if they have those fast pass lanes at other crossings? This was the Peace Arch crossing at the north of Washington State by Blaine heading to Vancouver, British Columbia. We will not be using that lane going back into the US, or going back into Canada, either!

BEST
"K"
Old 11-04-2019, 04:51 PM   #72

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Thanks, Dr. Harold.

Yes, that Nexus lane really surprised us. The border agent kept asking, "Why would you even USE this lane?" and I finally said over Paul, "We haven't been up there for twenty years!"

How things have changed! That was before 9/11 the last time we crossed; it was just so easy then to roll right on over the border.

I wonder if they have those fast pass lanes at other crossings? This was the Peace Arch crossing at the north of Washington State by Blaine heading to Vancouver, British Columbia. We will not be using that lane going back into the US, or going back into Canada, either!

BEST
"K"

Nexus has been around since 2000 its a joint program between Canada & US customs land air and sea entry. NEXUS fits with the US Global Entry program for expedited customs and immigration clearance, and TSA PreCheck for expedited airport security checks. There are Nexus lanes all across the country. It is the responsibility of every traveler to know the rules before crossing any boarder in the world.

In order to obtain a Nexus card there is a screening process one must attend an interview in person and provide much documentation to be declared a low risk for crossing boarders. Makes no difference which way your traveling the rules are very strict. You can also use your Nexus card in place of your passport.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:43 PM   #73

Registry
Daniel A: well, good. 2000 then. It's more than 20 years ago, right? And yes, I'm sure the Canadians could have fined us. Ignorance of the law is no excuse, but our purpose wasn't to cut in line or cheat the system, it was, simply, having missed one turn, and been baffled by the other options, we just picked the nearest line to where we entered the big area.

I don't mean to make light of it. Thanks for updating and upgrading the information.

PS how do you "know all the rules" when you don't even know there ARE rules? We got our enhanced Drivers' licenses and nobody said a thing about Nexus lines. We literally had no idea. Now FGRV has been duly warned. How dare we travel without knowing ALL the rules first? Wow. Good thing we didn't end up in prison.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:19 PM   #74

Florida
Quote:
How dare we travel without knowing ALL the rules first? Wow. Good thing we didn't end up in prison.
We can laugh with you, as you're not in prison. However:

Jogger detained for accidental border crossing.

Family detained for accidental border crossing.

We have become a nation much less tolerant of simple mistakes, so "Let's be careful out there...."
Old 11-04-2019, 06:20 PM   #75

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Google, then go, I say.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-11-04 at 4.17.30 PM.jpg  
Old 11-04-2019, 06:57 PM   #76

Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
.....PS how do you "know all the rules" when you don't even know there ARE rules?.....
The way things are now, no matter what you are doing you are breaking some law and can be detained.

I don't want to hijack the thread, so I'll just stop there.

--Harold
Old 11-04-2019, 07:45 PM   #77

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Daniel A: well, good. 2000 then. It's more than 20 years ago, right? And yes, I'm sure the Canadians could have fined us. Ignorance of the law is no excuse, but our purpose wasn't to cut in line or cheat the system, it was, simply, having missed one turn, and been baffled by the other options, we just picked the nearest line to where we entered the big area.

I don't mean to make light of it. Thanks for updating and upgrading the information.

PS how do you "know all the rules" when you don't even know there ARE rules? We got our enhanced Drivers' licenses and nobody said a thing about Nexus lines. We literally had no idea. Now FGRV has been duly warned. How dare we travel without knowing ALL the rules first? Wow. Good thing we didn't end up in prison.

I do understand Kai I'm sure you met well when crossing but everything in the last 20 years has become more difficult for most. I remember as a kid not needing a passport to cross. Personally I stopped crossing 10 years ago I could never figure out why a guy that has worked all his life and lived at the same address for 20 years , raised two kids would have such a bad time crossing being questioned every time and yellow carded for inspection.Not sure what its like for US citizens crossing into Canada. I know in the last couple of weeks I've chatted with RV people that in the past have traveled down to the sun areas and this year are seriously thinking about not going because of the hard time they got last year.

Its really sad the way things are going.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 12:58 AM   #78

Name: Donald
Trailer: Casita
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSFrancis View Post
How far do Scamp and other fiberglass campers tow in a day? We are new and soon to get our 13' Scamp. As we plan/fantasize about future trips we've realized that we have no idea how many miles a day (or hours per day) are realistic. Are we right in thinking that it is very different than a road trip in our SUV without anything to tow where we can average 75mph if we wanted? Thanks in advance for the insight!
Trailer tires should not be driven faster than what the recommended rating, It’s usually less than 65 mph. I usually drive 3 to 4 hours in a day don’t be in a hurry .., the journey is as important as getting there.....happy trails 🇫🇴
Donald Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:18 AM   #79

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Watts View Post
Trailer tires should not be driven faster than what the recommended rating, It’s usually less than 65 mph. I usually drive 3 to 4 hours in a day don’t be in a hurry .., the journey is as important as getting there.....happy trails ����

Tires on my trailer are rated 81 mph. I have no intention of driving that fast.

It's not a "recommended rating". Your tires, rated at 65 mph will not explode if you drive at 66.
Do some research. A tire's speed rating indicates the optimal speed that the tire can safely maintain over time. In short, it's the fastest speed a tire can handle before it no longer performs as designed. The higher the speed rating, the better control and handling you'll have at higher speeds.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:29 AM   #80

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Previously I had Chinese Load star or some such tires that I bought premounted on wheels at Pep Boys.
The gave OK service and I followed the 65 MPH rule when towing with our Town and Country.
During our last long trip I noticed some funny wear pattern on the tires and decided to mount new tires in Santa Fe. I bought a set of Carlisle radials (best grade available) that were radial instead of bias ply. They are rated 81 mph as mentioned above.
Both China pop and Carlisle were inflated to 65 psi, but I noticed better fuel mileage with the radial Carlisle tires. I also decided to drive the posted speed limits with the VW Touareg Diesel. Over the entire 7300 mile trip we averaged 20+ mpg (diesel) where the T&C got around 16+.
The point is that the VW Touareg is a much more comfortable tow vehicle and I can drive further with less fatigue and that is an important point.
Each combination is different and the weather and traffic conditions make a difference as does the physical and mental condition of the driver (and passenger as well)
I drove the home leg from San Marcos to Navarre in 12 hours, but that would be more than I would do normally.
Like many have said about their rig, with the Touareg and the Scamp it was like there was no trailer behind us.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote