How Heavy is She? Trailer Weight - Fiberglass RV



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-31-2018, 05:02 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Posts: 328
Registry
How Heavy is She? Trailer Weight

This is a chance for you to post the weight of your RV and why it's so heavy or so light.

Rules.
List:
1. Type of RV and length
2. Your RV's weight
3. Why you think it's heavy or light for its type.


Sent from my SM-G930V using Fiberglass RV mobile app
__________________

Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 05:05 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Steve L.'s Avatar
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Posts: 1,865
Registry
Isn't this a sort of rehash of the trailer weights in the real world thread?
__________________

__________________
Without adult supervision...
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Also,
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:25 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Name: Alan
Trailer: 2010 Little Joe / 2010 2 Dr Jeep Wrangler
Colorado
Posts: 1,124
Sure sounds like it
alan H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:54 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Posts: 328
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
Isn't this a sort of rehash of the trailer weights in the real world thread?
Not familiar with the tread
Please post link.



Sent from my SM-G930V using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:51 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
ShelbyM's Avatar
 
Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Posts: 350
This Trailer Weights in the Real World You can ask a mod to delete your thread.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:42 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Jon Vermilye's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Posts: 1,703
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
This Trailer Weights in the Real World You can ask a mod to delete your thread.
And with Frederick's permission, I keep a editable, searchable & filtering spreadsheet version with many additions at http://lakeshoreimages.com/spreadsheets/Weight.xls.

If you want to add your trailer weight, I'd appreciate it; just email the info.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:00 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
Posts: 931
Accuracy of weights

keep in mind that all those weights were taken on different scales, with varying degrees of accuracy. So the comparisons on the chart are approximations.

Real world scales will lose accuracy with age and a build up of dirt.
A scale must be "zeroed" before each weighing.
When you're weighing individual axles, especially on a balance scale, the approach and departure ramps must be level with the scale deck.
DO NOT hold the brakes, or turn the steering wheels. that can affect the reading.
Your most accurate reading is with the entire rig on the scale.
The separate axle weights should add up to within 1/2% of the total weight.
For the trailer: if you can, place it on the scale, unhitch the TV, move it off.
That will be the gross trailer wt. Hitch up, weigh just the trailer axle(s).
The difference should tell you the tongue weight.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:09 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Byron Kinnaman's Avatar
 
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Posts: 6,861
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
keep in mind that all those weights were taken on different scales, with varying degrees of accuracy. So the comparisons on the chart are approximations.

Real world scales will lose accuracy with age and a build up of dirt.
A scale must be "zeroed" before each weighing.
When you're weighing individual axles, especially on a balance scale, the approach and departure ramps must be level with the scale deck.
DO NOT hold the brakes, or turn the steering wheels. that can affect the reading.
Your most accurate reading is with the entire rig on the scale.
The separate axle weights should add up to within 1/2% of the total weight.
For the trailer: if you can, place it on the scale, unhitch the TV, move it off.
That will be the gross trailer wt. Hitch up, weigh just the trailer axle(s).
The difference should tell you the tongue weight.

One or the biggest problem with attempting to be accurate is that the weight of a tow vehicle and/or a travel trailer changes all the time. So any weight is approximate. If you're well within the weight limits of your tow vehicle you can tolerate the differences. If you're near or at the limits it might be a good idea to change something so that you have wiggle room.


FYI Commercial truck scales along highways weigh in 20lb increments.
__________________
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:55 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Steve L.'s Avatar
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Posts: 1,865
Registry
Not that Fred needs me to speak for him but I believe most (not all) of the measurements are made by Fred. Fred deals with scales professionally. He's bought professional scales. For the most part I would not attribute much of the variation to the scales themselves. CAT scales are also probably pretty repeatable although our trailers are probably near the bottom range of the scales' range.

I think Byron's points are closer to the heart of the issue. So many other variables to confound the results. I tend to look at the min and max weights and standard deviation of the samples to get a feel for the scatter.

If one can find a trailer at the bottom of the sample range that just meets the tow vehicle's maximum I think you are misusing the data.
__________________
Without adult supervision...
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Also,
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:46 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Posts: 328
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
And with Frederick's permission, I keep a editable, searchable & filtering spreadsheet version with many additions at http://lakeshoreimages.com/spreadsheets/Weight.xls.

If you want to add your trailer weight, I'd appreciate it; just email the info.
Will do

Maderator please delete this thread.
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:53 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Posts: 328
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
Sure sounds like it
Mod.: DELETE THREAD
__________________

Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
weight


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
help - I am interested in buying a small, light weight trailer- total weight 2000 pdd pwedd Hi, I am.... 19 07-23-2011 12:50 AM
how heavy is too heavy for top bunk? PattiMurphy Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 2 06-06-2011 03:46 PM
Heavy duty electrical extension cord - Karalyn Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 16 06-30-2006 05:43 PM
Heavy Duty Bargman Legacy Posts Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 6 08-13-2003 05:47 PM
How heavy IS a trillium 4500?? Legacy Posts Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 23 06-09-2003 01:26 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.