How long is your rig and will it fit in my parent's driveway? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-07-2015, 10:26 AM   #15

Name: Van
Trailer: currently shopping
Texas
Sounds like you have a good answer. Another option to class B is a truck camper. Requires a bigger vehicle, but they are outstanding for boondocking-even if in a driveway if you use a solar option.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:57 AM   #16

Name: Bryce
Trailer: Currently Browsing
Connecticut
That's a good point. But fortunately where I would be visiting friends and family here in the NE, I'm familiar with their homes/setups.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I imagine it varies a lot. None of my in-laws in CA have any off-street space for any kind of camper. And in some cases, HOA rules limit how long I can park it on the streets nearby. You'll have to plan ahead and take it on a case-by-case basis.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:03 AM   #17

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Hope you've consulted with friends and family.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:06 AM   #18

Connecticut
In the end it comes down to how much boondocking am I ~really~ going to do once I get out there. I think in my dreams, staying for free everywhere sounds wonderful, but I just don't know how that's possible (especially in the NE where we're a little more densely populated), and I fully admit I won't know how to sort out boondocking until I get out there myself. If I were boondocking in big cities, the Class B would be wonderful where I'm staying in a spot for a night, and then moving on. But if I had a FBRV, those free nights in the city would cost $ because I'd have to have a campsite for the trailer. Now the purchase/replacement cost of a Class B vs. FGRV may more than offset those savings over a say 10 yr. time frame, but it's still something I think about.

I don't understand how some folks report only paying for campsites 20-30% of the time, if they are ~actually~ traveling the country quite a bit (as opposed to staying put on BLM land for months). Are they staying with family and friends a lot in their driveways? Can anyone shed some insight there?
Old 08-07-2015, 11:12 AM   #19

Name: Perk
Trailer: U-Haul VT 16FT
Arizona
Registry
Bryce, My 2011 Ford F-150 Crew Cab is approx 22 ft long and my 16 ft U-Haul VT is approx 16'8" long. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bster13 View Post
In preparing to go fulltime, as I try and decide between a FGRV and a Class B motorhome, one concern is the ability to stay with friends and family. I like my family quite a bit and I'd like the ability to stay with them w/out too much trouble.

Today my father measured his driveway @ 50 ft long. They have a garage for one car and the other car is 15ft 9in long (honda accord). So I have ~34 ft. to -play with here. Something tells me that's not going to be enough, but does anyone know what the total length of say, a Honda CRV + 13ft Scamp and on the longer end a Ford F-150 and a 17ft Casita?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
20150626_151627.jpg  
Perk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:32 PM   #20

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Tacoma with Scamp 19 5th wheel is 30', it would be almost exactly the same with a 16' Scamp. The 5th wheel overhang does not add anything to the total length. The bottom part of both the 16' and 19' comes out of the same mold, I suspect.
My Ranger shortbox regular cab is three feet shorter than a Tacoma 4dr and my Scamp13 is three feet shorter than a Scamp16.
My rig is just under 29 feet.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:48 PM   #21

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Sounds like you want to stealth camp not boondock. You need to convert a work van or cargo trailer into a stealth camper . A real camping trailer or Class B will draw too much attention. If you like, you can always pay for a campsite even in a stealth unit. Check out stealth camping on the net.
Eddie
Old 08-07-2015, 03:15 PM   #22

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:

I don't understand how some folks report only paying for campsites 20-30% of the time, if they are ~actually~ traveling the country quite a bit (as opposed to staying put on BLM land for months). Are they staying with family and friends a lot in their driveways? Can anyone shed some insight there?
Let's say you are going on a one week vacation trip, 800miles from home.
Night #1...You leave late Friday and travel 200miles then overnight at Walmart.
Night #2...After a few extra stops at antique shops and a long lunch you make 300miles and stay Saturday at Walmart the second night.
Night #3... You wake up early and arrive at your destination early afternoon,Sunday set up camp and enjoy the day.
Nights... #4&5 you stay Monday and Tuesday nights and leave Wednesday at checkout about 2PM.
Nights... 6&7 drive 100miles to visit your sister and arrive in time for supper . You park by the barn and plugin for power and stay Wednesday night, spend Thursday visiting then settle down for the night.
Night...8 After getting a late start on Friday you wave good bye and drive 300miles, then find a convenient CrackerBarrel and sleep.
Night9...After a nice breakfast with hashbrown casserole you set off for home and travel 400miles and stop late at a rest area for Saturday night.
Sunday morning you wake early and arrive home refreshed and in time to go to church to share worship services and stories of your great vacation.

Now That's 6 out of 9 nights spent without lodging costs. It is only an example, and a bit over 30% but you can surely see how it could be done.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:22 PM   #23

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote:

It
also has a lot to do with the particular agenda you are on at the time. We have traveled several thousand miles and only stayed in campgrounds 1/4th of the time. One the other hand, on our last trip of 5000 miles and 30 days, we stayed in paid campsites 28 of the 30 nights and in motels the other two due to where we were located.

But we have stayed in dozens of Wal-Mart and other parking lots, for free over the years, and that too helps not only contain costs, but it also save a lot of time and fuel as those places are usually right on the routes we are taking.

Being a Sr helps big time, with National Forest C/G's as low as $5 a night and National Part admissions free and camping @1/2 price at most sites, etc.

And there are also both above board and underground sites for free camping on the internet. I have a friend who lived in a mini-camper all around Los Angeles for over two years to save money while he still worked a 40 hour week in a bank. There are ways, but you will have to seek them out, no one will give up those little secrets.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:29 PM   #24

Connecticut
I can see how that would work, seems like so long as you are driving a bit to charge your batteries (or solar), your tanks would be the limiting factor necessitating having to find a campsite every few days to dump.

But I think when I enter early retirement, I may enjoy the 1-month campsite rental model where I don't have to setup and breakdown camp all that often and I can use the TV to branch out and explore a bit. This also allows one to get to know the area better. Granted this won't be as cheap as boondocking, but perhaps monthly rates are decent? No idea what they get knocked down to. Maybe a monthly rate at a private campground is cheaper than $~30 a night you'd pay at a state forest campground for two weeks before they kick you out?

The concern with the 1-month model is getting to see the country as well as getting "home" to the NE to see my family from time to time. It will certainly be different for a guy who's always lived within 3 hrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Let's say you are going on a one week vacation trip, 800miles from home.
Night #1...You leave late Friday and travel 200miles then overnight at Walmart.
Night #2...After a few extra stops at antique shops and a long lunch you make 300miles and stay Saturday at Walmart the second night.
Night #3... You wake up early and arrive at your destination early afternoon,Sunday set up camp and enjoy the day.
Nights... #4&5 you stay Monday and Tuesday nights and leave Wednesday at checkout about 2PM.
Nights... 6&7 drive 100miles to visit your sister and arrive in time for supper . You park by the barn and plugin for power and stay Wednesday night, spend Thursday visiting then settle down for the night.
Night...8 After getting a late start on Friday you wave good bye and drive 300miles, then find a convenient CrackerBarrel and sleep.
Night9...After a nice breakfast with hashbrown casserole you set off for home and travel 400miles and stop late at a rest area for Saturday night.
Sunday morning you wake early and arrive home refreshed and in time to go to church to share worship services and stories of your great vacation.

Now That's 6 out of 9 nights spent without lodging costs. It is only an example, and a bit over 30% but you can surely see how it could be done.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:30 PM   #25

Connecticut
I turn 37 in Sept., no senior discount coming any time soon. Want to travel with me Bob? #jealous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
It
also has a lot to do with the particular agenda you are on at the time. We have traveled several thousand miles and only stayed in campgrounds 1/4th of the time. One the other hand, on our last trip of 5000 miles and 30 days, we stayed in paid campsites 28 of the 30 nights and in motels the other two due to where we were located.

But we have stayed in dozens of Wal-Mart and other parking lots, for free over the years, and that too helps not only contain costs, but it also save a lot of time and fuel as those places are usually right on the routes we are taking.

Being a Sr helps big time, with National Forest C/G's as low as $5 a night and National Part admissions free and camping @1/2 price at most sites, etc.

And there are also both above board and underground sites for free camping on the internet. I have a friend who lived in a mini-camper all around Los Angeles for over two years to save money while he still worked a 40 hour week in a bank. There are ways, but you will have to seek them out, no one will give up those little secrets.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:02 PM   #26

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
I can see how that would work, seems like so long as you are driving a bit to charge your batteries (or solar), your tanks would be the limiting factor necessitating having to find a campsite every few days to dump.
You can overnight for free at most truckstops as well.
Many of them have a dumpstation which is free with a fill up or maybe $5 without.
I like the "free with fill up" since fuel tank size is usually proportional to gray and black water tank size and rig size.
I get to dump my small tanks for a small fuel purchase!
Old 08-08-2015, 05:44 AM   #27

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
I turn 37 in Sept., no senior discount coming any time soon. Want to travel with me Bob? #jealous
The people who founded the Escapee organization, Kay and Joe Peterson, were about your age when they founded Escapes, a mostly full timing group with over 200,000 members.

They have written a number of books available from Escapees about their life. AS well their forum has a lot of information about full timing. It can be found at Escapees.com

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:17 AM   #28

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
The overall length of my rig is 33'-8". Nissan Frontier CC short box with 19' Scamp attached.