How Mfrs rate their TVs - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2012, 11:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile How Mfrs rate their TVs

Found this interesting article:

The Numbers Game: How Truck Makers Determine Towing Capacity - Consumer Feature - Truck Trend

Should help people decide on their options.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:37 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Great link! Thanks for sharing. It is very interesting. Ought to be interesting to see what our tow caps drop to.... But as I have always said, towing is about so many factors and it looks like they are gonna apply those.

Some are not gonna like it, but it's good info and explains how, why SAE recommendations.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:26 AM   #3

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Thanks Roger but....

That link is 3 years old which is not nearly as old as the arguments here about this topic?

What makes you think anyone will modify the way they decide to use any information to rationalize their argument either way?

I am not hopeful,this has been offered before and the threads end up being locked after everyone tries being nice defending their own position.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:46 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thanks for posting this. I'll be curious how it plays out in the actual marketplace.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:51 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I was going to go to school to become an automotive engineer but to become an engineer the old fashioned way requires time, hard work, reasonable intelligence and money . So I joined this forum it came free with the membership
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:08 AM   #6

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham
I was going to go to school to become an automotive engineer but to become an engineer the old fashioned way requires time, hard work, reasonable intelligence and money . So I joined this forum it came free with the membership
Lol!
Old 08-23-2012, 09:11 AM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Some folks are just helpless without a diploma. Remember it's the engineers who determine the "capacity" of the components, but it's the marketing and legal folks who determine the "ratings" of the finished product.
Now we are being told that their "ratings" advice has heretofore been unreliable or even incompetent...Go figger!

There is still no substitute for informed common sense.
(Especially when combined with a diploma.)
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:12 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I actually did go to school to become an automotive engineer, but I come to this forum to be straightened out by the experts.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #9

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I have three diplomas but I've been retired for 22 years so the diplomas now are just pieces of paper. I've also discovered that diplomas are not necessarily gonna show what you know. I know a lot of people with any more than I high school diploma who know a lot more about lots of things that I don't know. Example: my wife's brother was a high school dropout but he taught me how to back up a trailer.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #10

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Very interesting article. Worth noting that the auto makers are approaching this with caution. Ford only on totally new releases, not back models, GM provides it but does not use it as the final word, until Ford does it. I think Toyota is doing it on back models to 2011.

So what is required for the test....
That Dam Towing Test: New SAE Trailering Standards Explained - Tech Dept. - Car and Driver
or this with more detail
http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/0912_sae_tow_ratings_finally_pass_sniff_test/viewall.html

This one from diesel power mag is sort of right on in a real world way.
The Truth About Towing - Diesel Power Magazine

"although we can't recommend you exceed your truck's GVWR or GCWR, a driver's confidence, comfort, and capability of controlling the towed load is typically the limiting factor of how much a truck can pull. Experience is key here; the more you have, the more confident you will be behind the wheel."

I read that to say rating or standards can't replace skill or experience, or make up for lack there of.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #11

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Experience is key here; the more you have, the more confident you will be behind the wheel."

I read that to say rating or standards can't replace skill or experience, or make up for lack there of.

Exactly why we should never recommend to a newbie (new to towing) to exceed their vehicles tow capacity!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote