How Much Should it Cost to Install Brake Controller & Adaptor? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2015, 06:02 AM   #21

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Last harness work I had done by a U-Haul shop used very cheap crimp connectors that corroded in less than 2 years. Had to redo them myself. Insist they wrap all crimps with waterproof tape.
I recently saw a wiring job done by a Uhauyl shop that was a disaster. Instead of a plug in harness for the trailer lights they tapped into wires using Scotchlock connectors. Some of them under the vehicle and exposed to the weather.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:28 AM   #22

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
I had my hitch installed at my large local U Haul shop. Great work. Then I asked how often they did brake controllers. They remembered doing one a few months back. So I took my new Outback to an outfit that speciallized in truck springs and trailer work. After one minute of conversation it was obvious they did it all the time and asked and answered all the right questions. In meeting the crew in back it was also obvious they were experienced and had been with this company for some time and were not the recently hired minimum wage temps. (I try to patronize outfits that provide real living wage jobs.) Some U Haul shops are likely very experienced, but it pays to ask a few questions. With today's computerized vehicles I did not want mine to be their teaching tool. Next vehicle (God willing) I will have both hitch and controller installed by the pros at Madison Spring, Inc.

John
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:43 PM   #23

Name: jen
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003
Georgia
Thanks all! I was going to ask about uhaul. The local mechanic who wants to charge $175 asked too many questions indicating it wasn't something he often did.

What are crimp connectors and where will they be put?

My camping experience is likely to be a slow stress free as possible learning curve. I plan to practice towing nearby and turning in the walmart parking lot. My first trip won't be far. I haven't even learned about my fresh water tank nor the boondocking 12 volt battery. That's for another year.

I seem to have a spigot below my spare tire where the two stabilizing jacks are. Is that for an outdoor hose? That would be nice cuz my sinks are soooooo tiny!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
jenbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:50 PM   #24

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Jen, that hose bib is your fresh water tank drain.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:51 PM   #25

Georgia
Oh whoops :--).
So I need a splitter at the city water connection I guess.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:04 PM   #26

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbooks View Post
What are crimp connectors and where will they be put?

Crimp connectors is a rather general term for wire connectors that form a union by compressing the connector so that it squeezes on the wire forming an electrical and mechanical bond. They are commonly used but if exposed to the elements (which seems to be the case for “tractors1” they need to be protected. In fact some connectors have built in insulation called heat shrink that does just that – shrinks when heated, forming a water resistant connection. They cost a few pennies more but a good shop will use them when appropriate whereas a shoddy shop won’t care if things fail in a few years.

You might want to take a walk around your neighborhood and look at your neighbors who have their vehicles prepared for towing, and if it looks “neat” and well done (as opposed to falling apart with loose wires) then ask them where they got the work done and if they are happy with the job.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:14 PM   #27

Georgia
Crimp...

Thanks, Gordon2. I've taken a screenshot of your explanation so I can mention it.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:44 AM   #28

Georgia
One more question -- is it necessary or advised to tow my trailer in for the installation?
Old 08-13-2015, 07:48 AM   #29

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbooks View Post
One more question -- is it necessary or advised to tow my trailer in for the installation?
A good idea if they can keep it secure. I waited while the work was done, about 3 hours.

John
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:59 AM   #30

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
The only way you will know that it operates the brakes on YOUR trailer is I you take it with you. There is always the possibility that there are issues at that end as well.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote