How much squeaking is too much squeaking? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2016, 08:01 PM   #1

Name: Dawn
Trailer: Scamp
New York
Registry
How much squeaking is too much squeaking?

My husband and I enjoyed our first outing of the year in our 1992 Scamp. We noticed when we were slowly driving around the campground, there was a lot of squeaking and creaking going on. As far as we are aware, the axle is as old as the camper. I know we are coming to the end of its life in our near future, but it seems ok in terms of the common "eyeballing" measures. Could we just need to lube the ball on the hitch? Is some creaking normal? We couldn't exactly pinpoint where the sound was coming from, but it was loud & noticeable.
NedMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:10 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Dawn, our Scamp squeaked like you have described, and lubing the ball and locking assembly, and adding a "Hitch Vice" to the drawbar eliminated most of the noise.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:32 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
As well as the hitch, brakes make noise even when not engaged. Also I found the trailer noises more noticeable when I towed with my Subaru than with my truck.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:08 AM   #4

New York
Registry
Thanks guys! Do you use a high pressure lube specifically made for that, or can you get away with anything, like bearing grease
Old 05-23-2016, 07:32 AM   #5
Raz

When unhitched I have a tennis ball on the tow ball to separate me from the grease. First of the season I put a glob of bearing grease in the tennis ball.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:38 AM   #6

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
WDH ???

when I got my trailer unsettling noises were coming from back there....smearing grease on the bars (the part of them that slide into the hitch body) cured the problem immediately.....

metal on metal....binbing....and these bars have to move sideways with every slightest turn.....

any grease would do....even bacon I bet....
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:38 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The squeaks may not even be coming from the trailer or the hitch. The noise may be coming from the springs/shackles, etc. (depends on setup) on the tow vehicle because you've got more weight on the back end than it's used to. My suggestion is to tow to a LARGE empty parking lot. Drive slow, slow... while someone is walking along side (outside) and listen for where the noise is coming from. Be CAREFUL and be SAFE.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:49 AM   #8

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I don't know if you use one, but anti-sway bars will also make a lot of noise from the friction slide when you are driving around slow enough to hear it. Normally at highway speeds, it isn't a discernible noise, but they creak and grind a lot driving through camp grounds or parking lots, especially when turning.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:15 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by NedMac View Post
Thanks guys! Do you use a high pressure lube specifically made for that, or can you get away with anything, like bearing grease
Any trailer hitch store - even Walmart sells a hitch ball lube in a small jar.
It is white -ish probably a lithium grease. But any heavy grease will work.
They also sell a ball cover.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:21 AM   #10

New York
Registry
Thanks everyone! Glad to know it most likely isn't anything serious. We will lube it up & likely try the parking lot method!
Old 05-23-2016, 11:53 AM   #11

Name: Phil
Trailer: Casita
Alabama
Fastway e2 hitch

If you have the Fastway hitch with the anti-sway bars, the instructions say you should NOT lube the flat part of the bars that slide under the bracket with the cotter pin. That is the metal-to-metal friction that resists swaying. It also makes the most noise. Yeah, I greased it, then had to clean off the grease. But greasing the other ends near the ball and the ball itself does help with the creaking sounds.
TechiePhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:05 PM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechiePhil View Post
If you have the Fastway hitch with the anti-sway bars, the instructions say you should NOT lube the flat part of the bars that slide under the bracket with the cotter pin.
You make a good point - some of the newer none traditional WDH designs such as as yours, do not require grease at the bar attachment points as most traditional WDH do.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:18 PM   #13

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
I spray some WD40 on the ball and hitch and it stops the squeaking and is not so messy
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:15 PM   #14
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmartin748 View Post
I spray some WD40 on the ball and hitch and it stops the squeaking and is not so messy
I tried some of the Teflon lubrication products to avoid the mess but they didn't last very long before I had to reapply and I didn't want to carry the stuff with me. Your right though, grease is messy.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:54 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I would not write this issue off without checking the trailer frame from the A part of the frame all the way back under the body to where it is welded to other framing members.

It is not uncommon to have frames crack where the body meets the frame and the frame tube is bent. If the frame cracks and starts creaking you are getting close to total failure. 10 minutes under the trailer looking for cracks or unusual narrow rust streaks is a worthwhile endeavor. Search this site for Norms frame failure will give you an idea of what to look for. I would also check the frame structure around the main door opening as the drop down box area has past history of weld breakage.

Could be nothing more than a little grease but you don't want to find out out on the highway.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:01 PM   #16

New York
Registry
Certainly what I did not want to hear, but you make great points Steve. I will absolutely do a thorough inspection of the frame. Thank you!

And in response to other posts, we do not have a WDH