How Old Is Too Old (For a New Tire) - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2017, 02:21 PM   #41

Name: Tom
Trailer: Outfitter truck campper
Colorado
Like I said previously, I know guys who are still running original NDT's on their 1940's jeeps. Granted, our max speeds are about 45mph and tire performance isn't great, but they do hold up and are not terribly problematic. I feel even newer tires will last a pretty long time if they have adequate tread left and have been taken good care of.
TomandCallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:35 PM   #42

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Should I replace those tires or see if I can get a few more years out of them as they have plenty of tread left on them.
Ride on Brother.

Hell ain't half full!!!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:49 PM   #43

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Just for laughs; I have a 1946 Bantam trailer (civilian version of the WW2 Jeep trailer) and it has the original tires and they still hold air. It no longer gets used on the highway, but was up until about 1970. Should I replace those tires or see if I can get a few more years out of them as they have plenty of tread left on them.
You should absolutely run them, but I don't see what that has to do with the current discussion.
Your tires are probably 8 or 10 actual plies, not just ply rated. They are bias ply tires that were overbuilt for most of the actual work they did and flexed very little while doing it. They probably don't now carry loads near their full rated capacity across the hot desert, at 70 MPH and under delicate fiberglass fenders that would be severely damaged if one let go. And they probably weren't built in the absolute cheapest way by the lowest bid from a foreign country. Modern tires are built with very thin flexible sidewalls and designed to flex. They are also only strong enough to carry the trailers they are supporting without much margin. And with fiberglass trailers, I don't know of anyone that is trying to keep an authentic WW2 look. Or, put another way, should people be running the original tires from, the 1970's, on their Burros, or other brands and pretending there is no need to buy new ones, because the look is authentic in parades and they haven't yet blown out?

There are always some surviving things from a bygone era that somehow are still here and serviceable. That's nice, but it doesn't represent the norm. It doesn't make sense to claim that just because a tire made in the 1940s hasn't popped yet, that all tires made since are perfectly fine. Or are you claiming that since your tires are still good, that all other WW2 tires are still good too?

Maybe we should all agree on 70 years as a reasonable use period and a logical change point. That's a good round upper limit. 18 months is probably the shortest period we need to consider. So, now we have a working range and can begin to dial in the most practical period. It's somewhere between 18 months and 70 years. Now we're getting somewhere!
Old 05-23-2017, 06:24 PM   #44

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
[QUOTE=Raspy;641173]You should absolutely run them, but I don't see what that has to do with the current discussion.

Has as much to do as some of the other off the wall comments in this thread, and that's what my comment was intended to be. This trailer over it's lifetime has been used for camping, along with hauling sand, gravel, firewood, and plenty of other things, and never a tire problem as far as I know. It has mostly sat unused for the last 20 years, but prior to that got a fair amount of use. I certainly would not take it down the road with those original tires, but would use it around my property as is.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:39 PM   #45

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
But you "certainly wouldn't take it down the road". Why not?
Old 05-24-2017, 07:07 AM   #46

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
How Old Is Too Old (For a New Tire)

Quote:
...Has as much to do as some of the other off the wall comments in this thread...
It is a tire thread, after all...

And Elvis has left the building. I'm enjoying a cup of very good coffee and watching the surf roll in at South Carlsbad State Beach. The trip across the desert was uneventful, tire-wise and otherwise.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1699.JPG   IMG_1697.JPG  

Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:12 AM   #47

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Two weeks ago I bought a pair of new mag spoke wheels and a set of Good Year Endurance tires that were just announced in January.

They were made the 41st week of 2016 (code is 4116) I think that puts them around October and these didn't have to travel from some far off land

So they were maybe 30 weeks or roughly 8 months old.

Also until a tire is installed it is not inflated.

If the tire dealer were to only sell the newest what would they do with all the others?
One e-bay seller even states the dates of their tires.

As far as "fresh and new" goes those are not definite terms, and should have been specified up front.

But a year is a little old.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Wheel.JPG  
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 03:08 PM   #48

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
When we got our amerigo home October 2015, we discovered the nicely-covered spare was not only flat, but had cracked sidewalls (we'd driven hundreds of miles with no spare to speak of ). Paul also discovered the tires were about 8 years old though the tread wear wasn't bad. There are two styles of rims, Dexstar and a round opening type. Late the next spring, 2016, we replaced all 3 tires at the same time at Discount Tires. The new ones were only a few months old. Paul painted the rims white to show the odd center designs; he rotates them not minding the patterns, as you never see both sides of the trailer at once unless Picasso were to paint its portrait--which he can't.

We'll figure to run these no more than 70 years; probably more like 6. Paul does love to buy new tires. Me, I have more fun getting new dishtowels.

This was an interesting, informative and sometimes historical (hysterical?) discussion we both enjoyed.

Our heartfelt sympathy about your sister-in-law.

Kathleen & Paul
(Kai in Seattle)
Attached Thumbnails
Peanut 8 2016 E.jpg  
Old 08-22-2023, 01:39 PM   #49

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Post Script

I revisited this thread after sharing it with a FB group that was riled up over NOS tires. It brought tears to my eyes... twice. Once, because I was reminded of just how funny this group is at its best. And second, because I was reminded of those last precious days with my sister-in-law, who passed two weeks after our visit.

My wife and I will be traveling to Korea this fall with all of my wife's surviving siblings and their families. Carol would have absolutely loved it!

Meantime, off to Carlsbad next week with the Scamp...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote