how to make an '09 explorer tow-ready - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2015, 10:58 AM   #1

Name: Kati
Trailer: in the market
Iowa
how to make an '09 explorer tow-ready

I have an '09 explorer with 4.0 l V6 engine and 3.55 axle ratio. It came standard with an auxiliary transmission cooler. It has a class 3 frame mounted hitch on it. However, it is rated to tow 3,500 lbs. The trailers I have been considering all have GRVW of around 3,500-4,000. I was looking at the Explorers with the same engine that are rated to 5,100 lbs and the only difference seems to be the rear axle ratio is 3.73.

What would I have to do to my Explorer to modify it to be able to tow a little more? I would rather not have to buy a new vehicle and hoping I can make modifications to get me up to the 5,100 lb capacity.

Also, what else besides the 7 pt wiring do you need to do to make it tow ready?

Any thoughts & help is appreciated.
dsmbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:25 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hi Kati and Welcome to the world of molded fiberglass RV's

Rather that ask that here, I suggest having a talk with the FORD regional office and get their documentation as to the differences and incorporate those changes. They can provide an "As Built" listing for your version as well as the higher rated version, and I suspect that there might be more differences than just the axle ratios. In any event, get something signed by Ford before making changes, and double check with your insurance agent and an Atty. about any liability issues these changes may incur.

There are any number of vehicle models that look the same and have the same drivelines, yet can have substantially different tow ratings.

Doing ones own "Fix Up" to change a published towing rating is a minefield that is littered with liability issues and occupied by hungry lawyers.

What exactly do you want to tow and is it listed in our Real World Weights listing here? http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:24 PM   #3

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
I think you will find the difference in the cooling system. The radiator is almost twice the size
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:24 PM   #4

Name: Donald
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
09 Explorer tow-ready

Tires and wheels may also be differences. Alternator capacity and a brake controller may also be considerations. A transmission oil cooler by itself is not an indicator of being tow ready. Is the class 3 hitch on your 09 a factory install or an after market unit?
robertsd8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 05:33 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
There are plenty of fiberglass trailers which gross less than 3500 pounds, pick one of them!
Don't forget frontal area which is as important as trailer weight.
Look at a Scamp16, Casita16, Parkliner, Casita17, or even an Escape17 or L'l Snoozy.
IMO, any of the first three would be an excellent match for your Explorer.

If you want to improve your present vehicle, be sure and get advice from someone who knows more than how to read Wikipedia.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:56 PM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
And being able to spell is also important.... LOL

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:13 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
And being able to spell is also important.... LOL
Its just phonics for the benefit of Wikipedia readers.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote