How to Repack Wheel Bearings- 2009 Scamp 13' - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-02-2016, 04:53 PM   #15
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
I called my local NAPA parts store and they have 2 bearing kits for me. The kit includes cotter pin, gasket, inner and outer bearings. I will also need some additional grease.
A 2009 trailer should not need the bearings replaced.. A spare set perhaps? Also don't forget the seal. Like you, I had never done bearings until I got my first trailer. I stuck with the Dexter manual. It even recommends the grease to use. Good luck, Raz

Old 08-02-2016, 04:59 PM   #16

Name: Ginny
Trailer: '09 Scamp 13' w/ Bath
Oklahoma
Greg,

Thank you for verbalizing what I have thought for a while about the frequency required in repacks (I just didn't want to say much as a newbie)...
I see both sides... as far as I understand it, car axles from the manufacturer are far tighter sealed, and less likely to dry out or have issues- so of course they shouldn't need to have that seal un-necessarily broken and exposed if not needed. But, cars get a lot more miles than our little scamp will. To me there seems to be a balance of common sense and precaution here.

In our journey home after buying the camper (if you followed our original thread, which I believe you have) we were concerned about getting home without the bearings being replaced. We talked to a mechanic at a Love's Travel Stop and he talked to us about heat buildup- so, we at least started hand checking the heat of the axle at each stop to see if it felt hot to the touch. Not the most accurate method i'm sure, but it did give us some consolation in our trip home of possibly being able to detect if we were on the verge of a disaster. I have read that some people carry a laser heat gun and check the temp that way while driving. Overkill?

Old 08-02-2016, 05:01 PM   #17

Oklahoma
So Raz, you are suggesting I clean (and inspect) the existing bearings and repack? I was just operating under the assumption of "If I am going to bother to disassemble, I might as well put in new parts since they are cheap"....
Old 08-02-2016, 05:08 PM   #18

Name: Greg
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Registry
If they are those "blister pack" bearing kits, I'd tend to shy away from them. They are notorious for being made from very inferior quality materials. FWIW, I would rather buy a good set of Timken bearings and races in lieu of those "pre-packaged kits".

Also, a good set of bearings, (Timken,) along with the associated races and seals, will run you close to $50.00 per wheel for the complete set. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Clean them real good with Kerosene and repack them by hand. If they're in good shape, why replace them? It wouldn't hurt to have, and keep, a spare set in your travel kit just in case, but I wouldn't just replace them to replace them.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:18 PM   #19
Raz

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldphoto View Post
So Raz, you are suggesting I clean (and inspect) the existing bearings and repack? I was just operating under the assumption of "If I am going to bother to disassemble, I might as well put in new parts since they are cheap"....
If the bearings have been properly serviced, yes. I do mine yearly. There is usually a little contamination at the seal, the rest looks like I just did the job. On the other hand, if I found dirt, burnt bearings, etc, I'd replace them. At 30k I redid my brakes . I bought a brake plate and a drum kit. The drum kit came with new bearings and races already installed. So at 30k I got new bearings not because I needed them but because the kit came with them. The old bearings are in a baggie, greased as suggested. Just in case.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:24 PM   #20

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
You don't say what year your Scamp13 is or if the axle has been replaced.
Do you have brakes?
Old 08-02-2016, 05:34 PM   #21

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
A 2009 trailer should not need the bearings replaced.. A spare set perhaps? Also don't forget the seal. Like you, I had never done bearings until I got my first trailer. I stuck with the Dexter manual. It even recommends the grease to use. Good luck, Raz
Yup, it is possible to buy grease that is incompatible with what is in there now. I buy the exact brand name and type that Lippard (my axle maker) suggests just to be safe.

And as for replacing bearings.. well it does save you from the dirty job of cleaning the old ones. Might even be worth the cost to some people. But remember that if bearings get changed, so do the races.

Alas there is more to doing this right than first meets the eye but its not that hard once you get into it.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:36 PM   #22

Oklahoma
Floyd, it is a 2009, original axle.
Sounds like I should just examine my existing bearings and repack as needed. I will still head to NAPA or advanced auto parts and get some grease and a few tools. I might pick up one of the cheap bearing sets to have as a backup on the road as an emergency, but not intended for long term use.

Thanks for the suggestions.

In one of the 1st replies someone posted a great link with pictures of what to look for in terms of bearing damage/wear. I will use that as a guide and post pics if I find anything questionable.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:42 PM   #23

Oklahoma
Do I need to call scamp to find out the axle manufacturer in order to get correct grease?

Floyd, no brakes.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:52 PM   #24
Raz

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldphoto View Post
Do I need to call scamp to find out the axle manufacturer in order to get correct grease?
I'm pretty sure you have a Dexter #9 axle. That's what Scamp was using in 2010 when we were shopping. Look under the trailer, you might find a label on the axle about half way between the wheels.

One thing you might want to get is a short piece of 2" PVC pipe. It will let you install the dust cap without denting it. If you can't find a piece, Home Depot will sell you a 2 foot piece and if you ask nice they will cut it for you.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:08 PM   #25

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
I'm pretty sure you have a Dexter #9 axle. That's what Scamp was using in 2010 when we were shopping. Look under the trailer, you might find a label on the axle about half way between the wheels. ....
You might not might be so lucky since your trailer has some age on it.. but its worth a look.. this a photo of my axles label that I took as part of the initial inventory of parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Axle Label.jpg  
Old 08-02-2016, 08:49 PM   #26

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
Vermont
One other thing. If you do get into replacing the bearings, you need a new pair of seals. It is quite probable that the seals will not come out easily and will get damaged in the process. My recent experience.

Also, I agree with Greg that the bearings do not need to be replaced just because they are several years old. Boat trailers are a different animal, abused by dunking them in water, and possibly salt water to make it worse.

About bearing (castle) nut - I seated the bearings by hand tightening the nut while turning the hub, then backed off one or two notches of the castle nut and inserted the cotter pin.

As far as the "laser" thermometers, I would not bother. If the hubs are running too hot to hold your hand on them when you stop for gas, something is very wrong. The drums are a different story they get really hot, and fast and could blister your fingers. But you don't have brakes, I just remembered.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:38 PM   #27

Name: Bill
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13 Deluxe Birch w/front dinette
Wisconsin
Registry
Hey Greg..how do you really feel about "You Tube" videos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Stay away from ALL of those stupid half-baked U-Tube videos. They are made by idiots who don't know S#!*, but want to be on "tv", and don't know diddly about anything. 99.9% of U-Tube videos are total crap and mis-information.
Hmmm

I am not quite sure if I should check the videos out or not now...you are giving me mixed signals here....I am so confused now.

I did find good campground artistic campgrounds on you tube..I think they are located in LM in Washington State ..they always have art

And what is "diddly" any way???...

Good to see you still have some spunk left in you Ol' man....
Attached Images

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:38 PM   #28

Oklahoma
ALLLLRRIIIGGGHHHTTTT....

So, some interesting things happened tonight in our 1st attempt.
First, we humorously missed the step about loosening the lug nuts on the wheel prior to getting this whole thing started... so, after some how managing to wiggle the front AND rear bearings out with the wheel still on, we had to put the whole thing back together, lower the trailer (to get some pressure) loosen the lug nuts and then start over again. Good learning experience.

On a quick visual inspection, the bearings seem to be in good shape. The grease did not seem 'burnt' or discolored, or dirty. I will know more after I get the bearings cleaned off and inspected more thoroughly.

Now to the interesting part... I think I might have breaks??? I found some wires and what looks like something that is 'break-ish'... check out the pictures here. If I do indeed have breaks, I am pretty sure they are not hooked up (the dealer said there were no trailer brakes). How do I test them?

Here is a link to a folder of pictures, let me know if you are unable to access. https://goo.gl/photos/1U5Y5jr3jbrYxnAA6

Tags
scamp