How to size a Blue Ox Sway Pro? - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-15-2015, 05:13 PM   #1

Name: Barbara
Trailer: bigfoot
Alberta
How to size a Blue Ox Sway Pro?

I have an opportunity to purchase a second hand blue Ox sway Pro equalizer hitch with sway control... It is rated for 1000lbs tongue weight. We will be pulling a 17 ft Bigfoot trailer with a tundra crew max. Is this overkill, and are there any dangers to going over the tongue weight?? As you can tell, I am a newbie here, and for affordability, We are determined to find something second hand.

Your thoughts and recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Barb

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

Old 03-15-2015, 05:41 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
Your trailer probably has a tongue weight of around 400 pounds. Well below the rating of the hitch but why do you feel you need an equalizer hitch ? With your tundra I donr dont think its necessar. I tow my Bigfoot 17 with a 4WD Tacoma and never felt any need for an equalizer hitch.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:54 PM   #3

Alberta
How to size a Blue Ox Sway Pro?

Hi Jack thanks for the reply . I agree that we don't necessarily need any weight distribution but everyone and their dog recommends sway control with trailer this light. I don't think you can get one without the other. I realize this blue ox setup is above our weight requirement, I am mostly wondering if there are any negative effects of going over your tongue weight his way!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 03-15-2015, 06:57 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Sway control is a band aid for a serious problem.
You should be able to tow your trailer with no sway at any reasonable speed.
I have been towing for 50 years, stock trailers, horse trailers, boat trailers, large and small travel trailers and never had the need for a sway control.

If you want a sway control for peace of mind make sure you don't really need one first.
John
Old 03-15-2015, 07:19 PM   #5

Alberta
John, I was discussing this with someone else, about how "in the good ole daze" we just hitched our trailer and chain and off we went. Which is why I am confused about all the extra costs suddenly associated with towing a trailer. Can you please elaborate on your last statement??? How do I ensure that no sway control is needed without running that risk? We are towing a small light trailer, but also have three small kids in tow and are trying to understand how to make our summer trips both fun and safe.

Thanks kindly for the discussion!

Barb

Old 03-15-2015, 07:27 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1986 Bigfoot FT20
Michigan
Don't waste your money. You don't need it!
Old 03-15-2015, 07:38 PM   #7

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
The tension bars are usually the difference and using what may be 1000 lb bars for a 400 lb tongue may put excessive stress on the receiver and or your trailers frame.

On their web site, Blue ox indicates that the MINIMUM tongue weight for that hitch is 750 lbs and that they make another set of bars for tongue weights down to 550 lbs.
Blue Ox Towing Products | SwayPro Weight Distribution Hitches and Accesories
That said, it sound like the hitch you are talking about is not designed for a 400 lb tongue weight.

I'd suggest contacting Blue Ox's customer service line about your situation.(877-895-1276) it's their hitch and they should be able to make a go-nogo recommendation.

However, please don't just shop for the answer you are looking for until someone agrees. Contact the mfg and follow that advice, we don't want your next post to be about a cracked trailer frame.

Good Luck
Old 03-15-2015, 07:48 PM   #8

Alberta
I will do that for sure Bob, thanks for the information.... Having said that, I feel more confused than ever.....

Old 03-19-2015, 02:34 PM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by babs08 View Post
John, I was discussing this with someone else, about how "in the good ole daze" we just hitched our trailer and chain and off we went. Which is why I am confused about all the extra costs suddenly associated with towing a trailer. Can you please elaborate on your last statement??? How do I ensure that no sway control is needed without running that risk? We are towing a small light trailer, but also have three small kids in tow and are trying to understand how to make our summer trips both fun and safe.

Thanks kindly for the discussion!

Barb

Unfortunately we live in a very litigious society.
Do you think that ant trailer manufacturer would sell a trailer that's prone to sway without supplying or adding a disclaimer telling you to use a sway bar for your safety????
It's not about the " good days" it's about not spending money on a band aid to cover up a dangerous problem.
It's as simple as that.

I value my 5 sons and now my whole herd of grand kids as much as you value you kids.
If you keep your TV and TT in good repair you will not need a sway bar or any special hitches.
In fact you're a step ahead of others by having a Tundra as your TV.
Can't beat a Toyota.
It would be interesting to know how long and how many different trailers your many good intentioned advisors have towed.

Experience makes for the best advisor.

John
Old 03-23-2015, 10:48 AM   #10

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Sway comes from having too little tongue weight. Ten percent of trailer weight is a safe number to aim for.

If you want the safest possible towing experience MEASURE your axle and tongue weight.

How you load the trailer can make a big difference, especially regarding water in fresh, grey or black tanks.

Denny Wolfe
www.wanderingourway.wordpress.com
Old 03-23-2015, 12:39 PM   #11

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDenny View Post
Sway comes from having too little tongue weight. Ten percent of trailer weight is a safe number to aim for.

If you want the safest possible towing experience MEASURE your axle and tongue weight.

How you load the trailer can make a big difference, especially regarding water in fresh, grey or black tanks.

Denny Wolfe
www.wanderingourway.wordpress.com
Tongue weight is not the only that contributes to sway. Speed is a big factor. Sway of any trailer will happen at some speed. Typically tongue weight should be between 10% and 15% of total weight. However is a large bit of weight is moved away from over the axles and to the front and back of the trailer the speed at which sway will happen greatly lowered. Most the weight needs to be over the axle. There was a video a few years ago the demonstrated this. Read all you can about the physics of sway. Understand the WDH is designed to make the trailer tow level, if your trailer tows level a WDH hitch will only damage the trailer.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:04 PM   #12

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
The original question wasn't about using a WDH, but about using a specific WDH that was way over capacity for the application. As it turns out the answer was "Yes", using that hitch could lead to damaging the trailer and/or the TV.