How to weigh your rv - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-14-2014, 07:21 AM   #15

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
Thanks Bob! I went to that site and found they had apps for IOS and Android devices. There you'll find GPS turn-by-turn instructions that takes you to the scales. Does anyone know what they typically charge to weigh a small trailer?

Tom
Was charged $14 in New York State right off the Thruway for a single weigh.
Close to home I paid $20 for a double weigh. You weigh the complete rig, find a spot to drop the trailer in the parking lot and reweigh the TV. These seem to be privately owned, the ones I've used were at truck stops. They had no problems doing my setup.

Suggest first timers stop at the weigh attendant, usually inside but separate from the gas attendant, and ask for instructions. It's a little intimidating the first time. You pull up onto the scale, hopefully position it right, but the speaker is way up in the air for big rigs so you can't reach the call button. I've found they just see me and talk when they are ready. You then go back inside to pay and get your printout. Only takes a minute unless you do a double.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:45 AM   #16

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
You can also go to your local Land Fill (Dump). Most of them weigh trucks before they enter. I would recommend to talk to them first to get permission ahead of time.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:59 AM   #17

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
We plan to hit the road in about 6 weeks. We'll be loaded as heavy as we've ever been, so instead of guessing, we'll take the time to get on the scales. Thanks for the info!

Tom
Old 12-14-2014, 09:04 AM   #18

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Weighed one of my trailers at the transfer station (dump). Unhooked trailer, pulled tow vehicle off scale, attendant weighed the trailer, I backed on scale and hooked up, paid, and left. Went to DMV with the weight slip to register trailer. New York registration fee goes by weight. Only issue I had was making the trucks wait while I was unhooking / hooking back up to get off the scale.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:13 AM   #19

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
So, if weighed that way, with a weight distribution hitch employed, and then you weigh the tongue at home ... I'm lost.

I guess I am just not as good at reading more into what is actually posted than others here seem to be

Again I don't see where Larry mentioning in his post that he is using a weight distribution hitch - I simple assumed he was not as it was not mentioned and not sure why one would be needed one on a 13' Trillium ;-) But if someone using a WDH was to only get the trailers axle weight by driving on a scale with the tug still connected but off the scale & then goes home and weighs the tongue the numbers could be a bit messy as far a figuring out your actual tongue to axle ratio.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:54 AM   #20

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I wasn't worried about Larry.
I was trying to understand my own situation. I have weights for RAV front axle, rear axle and the trailer axle, but WDH was employed at the time. So, I was wondering if there is a calculation that would take that into account.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:15 PM   #21
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
I was trying to understand my own situation. I have weights for RAV front axle, rear axle and the trailer axle, but WDH was employed at the time. So, I was wondering if there is a calculation that would take that into account.
Since your hitch will shift weight from the hitch point both forward and back, the weight at each axle seems what you would want. To get that you weigh just the front axle with trailer off the scale. Then just the trailer axle with the TV connected but off scale. Finally the whole thing. Subtract the first two and you're there. Raz
Old 12-14-2014, 02:29 PM   #22

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
I was trying to understand my own situation. .
sorry Glenn I though you were just poking fun at my total lack of ability in regards to being clairvoyant.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 02:41 PM   #23

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Look at it this way. Case 1: Without the WD hitch the tongue weight is going to load the rear axle of the TV more, the front axle of the TV less, and the TT axle no change.

Case 2: With the WD hitch the forces of the hitch spring bars are going to load the TV rear axle less, the TV front axle more, and also the TT axle more.

The WD hitch puts high bending forces on the TV frame as well as on the TT frame in order to achieve this. The WD hitch creates a rigid beam connection where without it the ball allows free movement. Driving on a flat road is all good, but as soon as you have to pull into a sloped driveway, across a drainage ditch, or even some of the "dips" I remember from the Tucson area roads or the streets of Denver, I bet you stress those frames quite a lot. (A case for 5th wheel.) I would not use the WD hitch unless I was forced to.

It sounds like Glenn has three numbers from the scales. He needs two more: front axle of the TV and the rear axle of the TV without the trailer. Then it becomes clear what his WD hitch is doing.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:17 PM   #24

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
Propane x 2 38lbs each, battery 61lbs remove them and Carole can lift the tongue on our boler on flat ground and move it by her self. Should be safe on scale for that part. Bit afraid to check new full weight as I am shure have added weight with the rebuilding of our trailer.

PS. boler towing directions recommend WD system for towing and our car seems to work fine with it.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:04 PM   #25

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1999 Casita 17' SD
Ohio
I use my Sherline tongue weight scale to weigh my loaded trailer before leaving home.
If you pay $20 5 times your at what I paid for my scale
Mine was on sale but here's what I have.
https://www.propridehitch.com/sherli...-weight-scale/

For a total weight I crank down my rear jacks and front jack until the wheels are off the ground.
Put the scale on my floor jack and lift at the three points measuring each of the three points, add them up and there you go for a total.
For side to side weight I place the scale with the rear jacks up and measure each side lifting the wheel off the ground with the floor jack under the frame by the axle.

Three years in a row my 17' 1999 Casita SD loaded weighted just under 3000# TOTAL.

My axle is rated at 3500#

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Street.JPG