Humor me,Please. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #15

Name: Leonard
Trailer: not yet
California
I'm humored!

"The allusion to "handicapped" was intended to be illustrative of the fact that driving an automatic requires only one hand, one foot, one leg and half a brain!"

Ok, THAT humored me! Having recently gone over to the dark side, now I know why it so appealed to me. I'm not smart enough to drive stick anymore. gottcha.

"There is a perfectly useful and innocuous archaic word..." Oh, I just LOVE riddles. I'll be racking my brain for days on this one! Any hints?

Old 05-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #16

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
While it is good to be sensitive to the feelings of others, I caution you against taking it so far as to intentionally limit friendly discourse.
There is a perfectly useful and innocuous archaic word to describe what an action such as that might be, but it has been "exspelled" (sic) from modern writing for unfounded petty and offensive reasons.

One of my many handicaps being 'satiable curiosity, I insist that you reveal either

a) The juicy-though-forbidden word
or
b) The first few words of its online definition so I can Google for it.

Your choice...unless you wish to be further accused of Torturing the Incurably Annoying

Francesca

Old 05-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #17

Name: Linda
Trailer: Chinook
Washington
Safety is the most important factor, I think. This is a great link for info on how to calculate appropriate trailer weights for any given tow vehicle. Travel Trailer Weight Calculator

In addition to safety, there are lots of factors to consider in addition to weight/tow capacity: hitch weight, type of hitch, load distribution, braking ability, wheel base of tow vehicle, load weight (in trailer and tow vehicle), stress on the tow vehicle if pulling more than it can handle, just to mention a few.

We try to be safe rather than sorry.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #18

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
For those who want to know the derivation of the word handicap.

snopes.com: Etymology of Handicap

As to automatic versus standard transmission, we prefer the manual transmission. Generally it seems to me that there is less to go wrong with a manual and temperature is never an issue. The only real disadvantage for me is it's a little harder to backup with a manual.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #19

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
FWIW: I find the use of the word "Handicapped" to be generally and personally offensive.

I presume you don't golf.<_<
Old 05-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #20

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I presume you don't golf.<_<
Thanks Glenn!
Old 05-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #21

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Mississippi
Registry
I'm at a loss as to what word we should use instead of "handicap." My mother had a state issued "handicap" sticker hanging from her rear view mirror to allow her to park in "handicap" spots (not that anyone cares, but she was 87, had COPD and could barely get around.) I googled for synonyms of "handicap" and found these:

burden, cripple, encumber, hamper, hamstring, hinder, hog-tie, hold back, impede, limit, put out of commission, restrict, sideline, take out

Perhaps we should vote to see which one should be used here.

Personally, I find all this "political correctness" a bunch of HS (same as BS but from a different animal.)
Old 05-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #22

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Let's use "gifted". That seems to be the latest PC term.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #23

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
The college where I taught had an orientation class each Fall for all the instructors
Much of the time spent in the orientation class was devoted to "Sexual Harassment "
and "The Newest and Latest PC Words" . Being male and a construction worker by trade
I would slip up every year and be reminded that I lacked sensitivity . After 33 years I still have not developed proper empathy for others . Maybe Floyd could help me be more nuanced in my speech?
Old 05-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #24
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
FOCUS PEOPLE!! The OP was asking about ............ GEEESHH!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Is there any downside related to towing within a Manufacturers Rated Towing Guidelines?

Has anyone here had any negative experience from this while towing within the guidelines?

Really! I want to know.
Nope Raz
Old 05-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #25

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
The only issues I have heard following the manufactures recomendations lyies in the area of using Overdrive while towing, when and where it is acceptable. A few years ago this was a much bigger issue than today as most manufacturers spell out the conditions for using overdrive much clearer. The last issue is no matter what the manufacturer specifies it goes for naught when no one reads their manual and questions what they do not understand.

As for humoring you: Who made the manufactures God? Their responcibility ends as soon as the warrenty is up.

Example: I once saw a Toyota pick-up tow a space shuttle and I am sure that was out of manufactures recomendations. But Toyota made a commerical touting its sucess to the public. If the manufacturer can publicly toss its guidlines out the window why cant anyone else?

Is it time to go camping yet?
Be assured that the Tundra was NOT stock. Without a doubt in my mind it was geared down to a maximum speed of about 3 mph. Therefore if you that as a recommendation for towing never exceed 3 mph.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #26

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Let's use "gifted". That seems to be the latest PC term.
How about we actually use the term that is actually the most commonly and acceptable one used today: "disabled'.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #27

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Be assured that the Tundra was NOT stock. Without a doubt in my mind it was geared down to a maximum speed of about 3 mph. Therefore if you that as a recommendation for towing never exceed 3 mph.
That Tundra was a Toyota promotion.
Toyota rigged the entire thing and paid big money to NASA(Who needs it badly) for the chance to show off the Tundras capability.

They know better obviously than to bring that travesty here where we would quickly question the safety of the setup and School them in the error of their ways.

http://www.toyota.com/tundraendeavour/

I think they might have been warned by other members here?
Old 05-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #28

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Is there any downside related to towing within a Manufacturers Rated Towing Guidelines?

Has anyone here had any negative experience from this while towing within the guidelines?

Really! I want to know.

I don't believe there is a "downside" . Other than the MPG issue for some. But frankly, coming from a full sized probably more than adequate truck to a mid sized truck just within the towing capacity with a lil extra. That argument is a joke to me! My mid sized doesn't do all that better on MPG than my full sized. Just my experience.....

As some of us have pointed out in the past, Even towing within the guidelines doesn't mean a negative free experience. But I assume less likely! So why push the boundaries?