Humor me,Please. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #21

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
I'm at a loss as to what word we should use instead of "handicap." My mother had a state issued "handicap" sticker hanging from her rear view mirror to allow her to park in "handicap" spots (not that anyone cares, but she was 87, had COPD and could barely get around.) I googled for synonyms of "handicap" and found these:

burden, cripple, encumber, hamper, hamstring, hinder, hog-tie, hold back, impede, limit, put out of commission, restrict, sideline, take out

Perhaps we should vote to see which one should be used here.

Personally, I find all this "political correctness" a bunch of HS (same as BS but from a different animal.)
Old 05-09-2013, 02:12 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Let's use "gifted". That seems to be the latest PC term.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #23

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
The college where I taught had an orientation class each Fall for all the instructors
Much of the time spent in the orientation class was devoted to "Sexual Harassment "
and "The Newest and Latest PC Words" . Being male and a construction worker by trade
I would slip up every year and be reminded that I lacked sensitivity . After 33 years I still have not developed proper empathy for others . Maybe Floyd could help me be more nuanced in my speech?
Old 05-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #24
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
FOCUS PEOPLE!! The OP was asking about ............ GEEESHH!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Is there any downside related to towing within a Manufacturers Rated Towing Guidelines?

Has anyone here had any negative experience from this while towing within the guidelines?

Really! I want to know.
Nope Raz
Old 05-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #25

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
The only issues I have heard following the manufactures recomendations lyies in the area of using Overdrive while towing, when and where it is acceptable. A few years ago this was a much bigger issue than today as most manufacturers spell out the conditions for using overdrive much clearer. The last issue is no matter what the manufacturer specifies it goes for naught when no one reads their manual and questions what they do not understand.

As for humoring you: Who made the manufactures God? Their responcibility ends as soon as the warrenty is up.

Example: I once saw a Toyota pick-up tow a space shuttle and I am sure that was out of manufactures recomendations. But Toyota made a commerical touting its sucess to the public. If the manufacturer can publicly toss its guidlines out the window why cant anyone else?

Is it time to go camping yet?
Be assured that the Tundra was NOT stock. Without a doubt in my mind it was geared down to a maximum speed of about 3 mph. Therefore if you that as a recommendation for towing never exceed 3 mph.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #26

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Let's use "gifted". That seems to be the latest PC term.
How about we actually use the term that is actually the most commonly and acceptable one used today: "disabled'.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #27

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Be assured that the Tundra was NOT stock. Without a doubt in my mind it was geared down to a maximum speed of about 3 mph. Therefore if you that as a recommendation for towing never exceed 3 mph.
That Tundra was a Toyota promotion.
Toyota rigged the entire thing and paid big money to NASA(Who needs it badly) for the chance to show off the Tundras capability.

They know better obviously than to bring that travesty here where we would quickly question the safety of the setup and School them in the error of their ways.

http://www.toyota.com/tundraendeavour/

I think they might have been warned by other members here?
Old 05-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #28

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Is there any downside related to towing within a Manufacturers Rated Towing Guidelines?

Has anyone here had any negative experience from this while towing within the guidelines?

Really! I want to know.

I don't believe there is a "downside" . Other than the MPG issue for some. But frankly, coming from a full sized probably more than adequate truck to a mid sized truck just within the towing capacity with a lil extra. That argument is a joke to me! My mid sized doesn't do all that better on MPG than my full sized. Just my experience.....

As some of us have pointed out in the past, Even towing within the guidelines doesn't mean a negative free experience. But I assume less likely! So why push the boundaries?
Old 05-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #29

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Not to mention they only actually towed it 100 yards very very slowly and not on a public road! LOL
Old 05-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #30

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The college where I taught had an orientation class each Fall for all the instructors
Much of the time spent in the orientation class was devoted to "Sexual Harassment "
and "The Newest and Latest PC Words" . Being male and a construction worker by trade
I would slip up every year and be reminded that I lacked sensitivity . After 33 years I still have not developed proper empathy for others . Maybe Floyd could help me be more nuanced in my speech?
AH Ya done went and used tha "N" word!
Old 05-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
How about we actually use the term that is actually the most commonly and acceptable one used today: "disabled'.
Why is "disabled" more acceptable than "handicapped" ? Seriously? Less serious, how long will it take for "disabled" to be deemed unacceptable?
Old 05-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #32

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Nope Raz
Asked and answered...as if it matters now!

Francesca
Old 05-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #33

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Why is "disabled" more acceptable than "handicapped" ? Seriously? Less serious, how long will it take for "disabled" to be deemed unacceptable?
The origins believed by some for the word Handicapped were mentioned above and the use of the word in describing a disable person implies a stigma that can be taken as extremely offensive. It should be noted though that some scholars dont believe that the term handicapped was in fact derived from the term cap in hand but instead goes back to a centuries old sport involving the trading of personal items.

For example I work with Paralympic skiers - trust me if you know them the image of a beggar on the street with their cap in hand it not something you would come away with - although lobbying for more funds for their sport from our fine government may make some of them feel that way some days

As a result the term handicapped is no longer an acceptable term to use in describing a person with disabilities, just as retarded is no longer acceptable as a term used to describe a person with developmental disabilities, death and dumb is not used to describe a person who is hearing impaired.

The list is long with terms and words that we as a society have evolved enough to know are unacceptable to use.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #34

Thank you.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #35

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Now I realize what the real cause of the "Global Warming" is, voices heard on internet forums.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:28 PM   #36

Name: Leonard
Trailer: not yet
California
"Now I realize what the real cause of the "Global Warming" is, voices heard on internet forums."

My papa always told me that the good Lord gave us all 2 ears vs. 1 mouth so that we'd listen twice as much as we'd talk.

But...I've got 10 fingers to type with on the internet, vs. 2 eyes to read!

Back to the original question of what downsides there might be in towing "within manufacturers limits":

If one were to be of the mind that manufacturers limits for NA ratings are contrived rather than derived, then, excessive use of finite resources might be be cited as a downside. Remember this whole fiberglass RV movement started with sedans in mind as tow vehicles, not big full sized pick ups or SUVs. If one is of the mind that global warming is at least partially caused by too much fossil fuel consumption, (and not just too much internet dialog!) then if safely used, a smaller more mpg friendly tug would exhibit less emissions downside, especially if one doesn't have to have two vehicles, one for tug use and one for everyday use.

But I'm all for towing safely. If one really needs to "be within" (possibly contrived) NA manufacturer's specified limits in order to tow safely, then I say, stay within the specified limits.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #37

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
While the term originally refered to the early english game and the practice of handicapping as used in sports, the application of the word to those that were begging on the streets was a well known use in the mid 1800's in England. Just as we used many words for meanings substantially different from their origins does not make their newer meanings any less correct. Yes, the origin of a word may different, but it's meanings over the years can change.

And while some may have determined that their particular diety did not make certain rules, evolving public standards and the ADA (Adults with Disabilities Act) may have a different take on what is and isn't offensive.

As my late wife spent the last 15 years of her brief life in a wheelchair, and my youngest son James (1982-2009) was autistic, I am very much aware of the unkind words often used to describe disabled and/or developmentally delayed children and adults. They, the victims of these unkind and demeaning words, are the ones asking for these changes, and it's the very least that we, as a society, can do to help those less fortunate. Is that asking to much? One would hope not.

Closed Thread