Humor me,Please. - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #1

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Humor me,Please.

Is there any downside related to towing within a Manufacturers Rated Towing Guidelines?

Has anyone here had any negative experience from this while towing within the guidelines?

Really! I want to know.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #2

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Colorado
Hmmm, that's a very strange question. If you tow within the guidelines, I guess you meet fewer people on your travels--tow truck drivers, mechanics. insurance adjusters, etc.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #3

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Not exactly sure what you're wondering about, but here's one thought. When we started shopping for a trailer we searched around to get some idea of how much a FG trailer would weigh and then went shopping for a suitable tow vehicle. We bought a Ford Aerostar van with a towing capacity of 4,000 lbs. Then we bought our Bigfoot, which we discovered weighed about 3,000 lbs. Should be fine, we thought since the trailer was well within the van's towing capacity. Wrong! The Aerostar was way underpowered. It was fine on the flats, but a dog going up steep mountain passes (I'm talking about getting slowed to 35 miles per hour). We sold the Aerostar and got our current Ford E-150 van with a 6,000 lb towing capacity and more power. It makes the whole towing experience so much more pleasant even if our gas mileage has suffered.

I don't think I'd ever risk towing something that was over the rated towing capacity of my TV or, like Terry G says, you might meet some interesting people.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:25 AM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Ed, Are you asking about weight, tire pressure, speed, ....?
I notice that in the tire thread everyone seems to recommend maximum side wall pressure rating, but the manufacturer of my trailer recommends 28 psi. Way less then the max pressure on the tire. I still don't understand why that particular recommendation is discarded so out of hand, when some nearly have a massive coronary about recommended towing capacity.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #5

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I notice that in the tire thread everyone seems to recommend maximum side wall pressure rating, but the manufacturer of my trailer recommends 28 psi. Way less then the max pressure on the tire. I still don't understand why that particular recommendation is discarded so out of hand, when some nearly have a massive coronary about recommended towing capacity.
Sorry about not being clear with the original question.

I am talking about the Trailer Weight Guidelines for each vehicle only.

As you point out we seem to get into a bizarre pissing match over and over again about staying within recommended towing capacities for a number of strange justifications(imho) but no one has ever suggested that there is a problem at all if you stay under the suggested capacities?

I know it might seem an odd question but to me it is no more odd than defending for whatever reason towing knowingly over those capacities.

Just want to see if anyone thinks it is crazy tow within the ratings?
I guess I a trying to understand just how far this whole thing goes?

Ed
Old 05-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #6

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Trailer Tire Pressure

When your trailer was built those may have been the general recommendations for tire pressure for the tires installed. Todays tires are different and the tire makers recommendations trump the trailer builder who, in 90% of cases, is long gone from the market.

Running a "C" load range tire at 28 PSI may be unsafe with the load and lead to instability and/or tire overheating. Ask the tire maker (not the experts at Joes Tire Shop) for a pressure recommendation for your trailers weight (unless they only speak Chineese, then you are on your own).
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Old 05-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #7

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Nope no negatives in regards to towing within the manufacturers towing capacity for me - other than perhaps I cant tow my dream trailer with the current tug.

As I have in the past towed with vehicles that have more capacity and power than what the trailer they were pulling required & currently tow a trailer that is only a few hundred pounds under the tugs tow specs, I agree with others that the towing experience with a tug with the extra power and capacity is much more pleasant one all around.

I know some here have indicated they tow trailers over their vehicle tow specs because they believe that they are saving money on gas. They claim it would cost them to much in gas to tow with a tug that's rated to tow their trailers weight. The good news is that argument seems to have flown out the window of late. With improved fuel efficiency in many vehicles over the last 6 years, I can now purchase a vehicle with far more towing capacity & power than I have now and still get the same MPG or better mpg towing than I get today with my 6 year old vehicle with a lower tow capacity and less power and was considered to be fairly good in regards to fuel efficiency when it was new.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #8

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Is there any downside related to towing within a Manufacturers Rated Towing Guidelines?

Has anyone here had any negative experience from this while towing within the guidelines?

Really! I want to know.
Your question is obviously facetious, but I will endeavor to address it as if that were not so, or at least not entirely so.
One example would be the horrible experience of pretending to be handicapped, since most smaller TVs require handicapped transmissions(AKA automatics) in order to reach tow ratings.

Another would be the blatant waste of natural resources (and the attached embarrassing stigma, not to mention expense) of being forced to buy a V6 engine when a perfectly adequate 4CYL engine is available in an otherwise identical chassis at a lower cost.

Another might be the expense of getting an OEM towing package to meet OEM tow ratings, when superior aftermarket components may be available at a fraction of the cost. This might include the negative experiece of seeking hitch accessories for a ClassII hitch when ClassIII accessories are ubiquitous, more widely varied, and less costly.

Now it must acknowledged that you inquired about "ratings" and not "capacities", things which are commonly confused. Also that the manufacturer's ratings often include caveats such as "when properly equipped". This often includes items not offered by them but actually required in most cases, in order to meet the "rating" as advertised.
I.E... elctric brake controllers.

I once built a Model "A" Ford which was modified to a point that the manufacturer's entire owner's manual was rendered obsolete and irrelevant. In fact the original purchaser would likely have swooned at it's mere appearance, let alone it's amazingly enhanced capabilities!

Be safe, and stay within the "capabilities" of your "properly equipped" TV and trailer, using accepted standards and practices.
If you are not competent to determine what that means, it is wise to seek competent advice or training before towing.

OF course that would apply when not towing as well...
Your SUV/Crossover is not a Corvette.
Also, please don't respond to this on your I-Phone while driving in heavy traffic at 20 over the limit drinking hot coffee, smoking a cigarette, searching for that "Just right driving song" and fishing in that bag for the last french fry!
Safety is the sum of all elements...
As the result of a safety survey at work I was told that I would add to my longevity if I would move 20 miles closer to work and start smoking two packs a day...I WORKED IN A FUELS REFINERY!
Old 05-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #9

Missouri
Floyd,

I think you know this already but you ALWAYS humor me!

Thanks

Ed
Old 05-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #10

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Your question is obviously facetious, but I will endeavor to address it as if that were not so, or at least not entirely so.
One example would be the horrible experience of pretending to be handicapped, since most smaller TVs require handicapped transmissions(AKA automatics) in order to reach tow ratings.

Another would be the blatant waste of natural resources (and the attached embarrassing stigma, not to mention expense) of being forced to buy a V6 engine when a perfectly adequate 4CYL engine is available in an otherwise identical chassis at a lower cost.

Another might be the expense of getting an OEM towing package to meet OEM tow ratings, when superior aftermarket components may be available at a fraction of the cost. This might include the negative experiece of seeking hitch accessories for a ClassII hitch when ClassIII accessories are ubiquitous, more widely varied, and less costly.
above is what we love about you Floyd!!
Old 05-09-2013, 12:22 PM   #11

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Insults are Not Needed

FWIW: I find the use of the word "Handicapped" to be generally and personally offensive.

While that term is thought to be a misuse of the old english term "Hand-in-cap" to define those that had to beg for pennies due to disabilities, it has long passsed from general usage, such as have other words once commonly used that are now considered offensive (Think "N" word).

Next, to suggest that those that choose an automatic tranmission do not have the ability to drive a standard transmission, is equally offensive.

And, those that would be accused of "pretending to be disabled" is ranking even even lower on the social scale of 2013

Add to that, modern 6 and even 8 speed automatics have been developed to improve economy, and there have several good reasons to not be looking down ones nose on those that choose that option.

Now that is vented.... Over my many years I have driven a lot of stock Model "A", "B" and even "T" Model Fords, and the general consesus has always been that, at least by 1950, anything you could do to one was an improvement over Henry's product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post

Now it must acknowledged that you inquired about "ratings" and not "capacities", things which are commonly confused. Also that the manufacturer's ratings often include caveats such as "when properly equipped". This often includes items not offered by them but actually required in most cases, in order to meet the "rating" as advertised.
I.E... elctric brake controllers.

I once built a Model "A" Ford which was modified to a point that the manufacturer's entire owner's manual was rendered obsolete and irrelevant. In fact the original purchaser would likely have swooned at it's mere appearance, let alone it's amazingly enhanced capabilities!

Be safe, and stay within the "capabilities" of your "properly equipped" TV and trailer, using accepted standards and practices.
If you are not competent to determine what that means, it is wise to seek competent advice or training before towing.

OF course that would apply when not towing as well...
Your SUV/Crossover is not a Corvette.
Also, please don't respond to this on your I-Phone while driving in heavy traffic at 20 over the limit drinking hot coffee, smoking a cigarette, searching for that "Just right driving song" and fishing in that bag for the last french fry!
Safety is the sum of all elements...
As the result of a safety survey at work I was told that I would add to my longevity if I would move 20 miles closer to work and start smoking two packs a day...I WORKED I A FUELS REFINERY!
Old 05-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #12

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post

Really! I want to know.

Only a man would ask such a question- no woman would consider actually following directions to have even the possibility of a downside!

But then we don't face the near-certainty of being labeled "wimps" for doing so...

Francesca
Old 05-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #13

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
FWIW: I find the use of the word "Handicapped" to be generally and personally offensive.

I don't, but we can still be friends if you like!
Love ya,Bob;
While no offense was intended, Some can always be taken.
Some people think that there is a God given right to "not be offended".
Unfortunately, there isn't, but the good news is that you do have the choice whether to be offended or not and the opportunities abound daily!
I can think of nothing more intentionally offensive than being called a "Baby-Boomer" but I choose not to take offense at every turn of the epithet.
The allusion to "handicapped" was intended to be illustrative of the fact that driving an automatic requires only one hand, one foot, one leg and half a brain!
I am familiar with offensive speech and find it useful when appropriate, especially when applied with subtlety.... None was used in this case.

While it is good to be sensitive to the feelings of others, I caution you against taking it so far as to intentionally limit friendly discourse.
There is a perfectly useful and innocuous archaic word to describe what an action such as that might be, but it has been "exspelled" (sic) from modern writing for unfounded petty and offensive reasons.
As for the "N" word? I had no idea that the word "Nuance"was offensive but I can now certainly see why.

To address the use of the Model "A" as an example, you got the point... and to this day there has not been a new vehicle made which could not make use of a few improvements...Just ask the manufacturer, who will certainly tell you how "IMPROVED" it's next model is over the perfect one that they now produce!
Old 05-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #14

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
The only issues I have heard following the manufactures recomendations lyies in the area of using Overdrive while towing, when and where it is acceptable. A few years ago this was a much bigger issue than today as most manufacturers spell out the conditions for using overdrive much clearer. The last issue is no matter what the manufacturer specifies it goes for naught when no one reads their manual and questions what they do not understand.

As for humoring you: Who made the manufactures God? Their responcibility ends as soon as the warrenty is up.

Example: I once saw a Toyota pick-up tow a space shuttle and I am sure that was out of manufactures recomendations. But Toyota made a commerical touting its sucess to the public. If the manufacturer can publicly toss its guidlines out the window why cant anyone else?

Is it time to go camping yet?