Hyundai Santa Fe? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2015, 07:53 AM   #1

Name: Liz
Trailer: Shopping
Oregon
Hyundai Santa Fe?

Hello all -
I'm considering a vehicle purchase - it'll have to be my one vehicle for everyday driving as well as towing. I'm looking at The Santa Fe (not the Sport), rated at 5,000# for towing.
I intend to tow a 13' foot trailer, say maybe a Trillium 1300, in the neighborhood of 1500#.
I know the Santa Fe is overkill, but I'd like to plan ahead for a bigger trailer maybe some day.
Thoughts?
Experiences?
Opinions?
Don't hold back, I've been advised about how the towing forum can get
;-)

Happy Trails!
Liz in PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:08 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
As these are fairly rare I'd suggest also finding a Hyundai Santa Fe owners group and review what they have to say about general reliability and dealer support issues.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:33 AM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
It's also a good idea to know what the tongue weight capacity on a vehicle is before you purchase it. Some vehicles have tongue weight limits that prevent towing a trailer anywhere near the rated tow weight. For example, my Bigfoot weighs 3500 pounds so at a glance, the Santa Fe could easily tow but my Bigfoot has about 450 pounds of the total weight on the tongue which would rule out some vehicles. I'm not sure what the Santa Fe specs are but I'm sure the tongue weight capacity is important to know. Another thing to find out is how hard it is to wire a brake controller into the system. Good luck with you search and keep asking those questions.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:32 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
As these are fairly rare I'd suggest also finding a Hyundai Santa Fe owners group
LOL Rare? Perhaps in California but Dang you would be hard pressed to go into any parking lot here in BC without seeing at least a few of them. See them being used as tow vehicles in the Fiberglass trailer sector in these parts as well.

From the US News & World Report site:

"2015 Hyundai Santa Fe ranks 4 out of 12 Affordable Midsize SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Hyundai Santa Fe, as well as reliability and safety data."
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:34 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
We tow a 13' egg with a Honda Pilot, which is a similarly-sized SUV. We have children and often carry bicycles and other toys, so I don't consider it overkill at all!

Honda just rolled out an updated Pilot that looks to improve its rankings in the 3-row SUV class. Towing capacities, fuel economy, cargo space, and crash test results are up. However, it looks like it no longer includes the full towing package as standard equipment any more. That was a clincher for us when we bought our factory-certified 2011 model in 2013: it came with a factory hitch, 7-pin trailer wiring module, and brake controller port, never used. Plug and tow. The only thing we had to add was the 7-pin connector from the wiring box to the bumper (we got the dealer to include it as part of the deal). We've racked up 67K miles to date, no issues. Compared to Toyota and Hyundai, Hondas typically have a stiffer rear suspension. Probably doesn't matter with a 13' egg, but if you ever decide to upsize…

The new ones are appealing, but this might actually be the perfect time to look for a good deal on the outgoing model, either new or gently used.

That said, the new Santa Fe looks promising. My impression is that Hyundai reliability is hit-or-miss, and this model is so new, I wouldn't put much stock in the ratings at this point. I agree that checking out owner's forums is a good idea. They can signal developing issues before they are reflected in reliability data. You have to be careful, though: complainers are always more vocal than satisfied owners, and a few significant problems do not necessarily indicate a trend.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:15 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
It should do well. I have towed a ton of miles with a 2008 Highlander, which is similar.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:56 PM   #7
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz in PDX View Post
Hello all -
I I'm looking at The Santa Fe (not the Sport), rated at 5,000# for towing.
I intend to tow a 13' foot trailer, say maybe a Trillium 1300, in the neighborhood of 1500#.
I know the Santa Fe is overkill, but I'd like to plan ahead for a bigger trailer maybe some day.
Hi Liz. In all my years of following numerous towing forums I don't recall reading about anyone towing with a Santa Fe. I have driven a few of them and liked them.

Beware about tow ratings. They rarely reflect how a vehicles works or handles with a trailer in tow. Talking to folks who have actually used one as a TV is sometimes a good place to start.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:46 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Google Hyundai on Escape forum and you will get 31 results. http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/
Old 07-07-2015, 01:06 AM   #9

Name: Liz
Trailer: Shopping
Oregon
Thanks everyone!!
I appreciate your knowledge and resources immensely.
Liz

Happy Trails!
Liz in PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:55 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
We use a 2007 Hyundai Santa fe to pull our 13' and now our 16' Scamp. It pulled the 13' like it wasn't even there. The 16' pulls fine, but I would not go larger. Keep in mind we did make sure that it had the additional transmission cooler and larger V6 engine. Uhaul installed the hitch receiver and I installed the brake control/trailer light hook up. I am very happy with the Santa fe and Scamp combination.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Charlie S is offline   Reply With Quote