I have a theory - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-21-2008, 10:17 AM   #15

Trailer: 1978 Scamp 13 ft
I just bought an item from Camping World yesterday called Hitch Ball Finder Item # 32410 cost $19.99 us.. Magnetic base that telescopes up to 40" with convex mirror. I haven't tried it yet...

Old 08-21-2008, 11:39 AM   #16
Commercial Member

Name: Brian
Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
My solution was pretty cheap.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mcsitahitchaid2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	15319

The extra height allows me to see it all line up in the rear view mirror.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mcsitahitchaid3.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	15320

brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:31 PM   #17

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Escape B / RAV4 (19 ft74 13 ft Boler for sale)
Quote:
We bought a set of these and used them this summer, they worked very well: MAGNETIC TRAILER ALIGNMENT KIT
at Harbor Freight= http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=95684

Telescoping rods extend to 43"
When the brightly colored markers are aligned, you're ready to hook up
Magnetic base

ITEM 95684-2VGA
Regularly $11.99 US
Now on Sale
$9.99 US

DesertHawk
This is just what Ii've been needing, Until now every hookup required getting out of my car to look over and over to realign another couple inches: nope a little right, nope a little left, nope a little forward, nope ....

I ordered one today. Should arrive just in time for my next adventure
Old 08-21-2008, 10:24 PM   #18

Name: Alan
Trailer: FORMERLY:Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
California
Glenn - unfortunately I am not Canadian. Do you think it would work with American Flags?

Quote:
It ocurred to me that if I were to get a couple Canadian flag decals, and if I positioned them carefully, one in the centre of the RAV's rear window and one in the centre of the trailer that I could line them up to get on target. Then it ocurred to me that if the one in the back window were smaller ( and I have to determine how much smaller ) I would have a range-finder. Back up until the decal in the RAV just covers the one on the trailer. From there you might have to wiggle a bit.

Any thoughts on the practicality of this? Any better solutions that don't cost at lot?

So far, I have managed pretty well without any assist, but now I'm curious about the idea.

baglo
Old 08-21-2008, 10:45 PM   #19

Trailer: 1973 Play Pac
Registry
I guess I'm lucky with my center-axled Play Pac. I just get somewhere close and pick-up the tongue and pull my camper forward and set the hitch on the ball.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:47 AM   #20

Trailer: Scamp
Red face

Quote:
It ocurred to me that if I were to get a couple Canadian flag decals, and if I positioned them carefully, one in the centre of the RAV's rear window and one in the centre of the trailer that I could line them up to get on target. Then it ocurred to me that if the one in the back window were smaller ( and I have to determine how much smaller ) I would have a range-finder. Back up until the decal in the RAV just covers the one on the trailer. From there you might have to wiggle a bit.

Any thoughts on the practicality of this? Any better solutions that don't cost at lot?

So far, I have managed pretty well without any assist, but now I'm curious about the idea.

baglo
baglo,
well that pretty much my idea in backing up! i have a tribute, but I open the hitch, and place
a red leash on the back with the back seat down, and a read marker on the trailer bar in the middle
attached to the trailer window..works for me! it is just a mark to see where i am at..
When backing up, I asked the man with a trailer in a gas station, how do back up, and any hints.
he said always drive forward, swing around places to make the mark. What a good idea, but never said how to back up hhhmmmmmmmmmmmm too funny!
Old 08-22-2008, 10:24 AM   #21

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
My wife stands on one side and waves left/right and my son stands on the other side and waves left/right, each opposite to one another....I shoot for somewhere in the middle and it's is just right every time!
Old 08-24-2008, 06:57 PM   #22

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
The rear window o our 37 Plymouth has a split window (with a bar running vertically) which makes backing to the center of the trailer easy enough, as I line up the bar with the center of the trim piece that encloses the guard (completes the circle at the bottom center of the cover.

MY problem IS from there on I cannot see the ball OR the hitch because of the curvature of the back part of the car and the height at which the rear window is located on the car body.....

...see the issue with the hump for the trunk and the height of the window on the car body?
Attached Thumbnails
Kamloops.jpg  
Old 08-24-2008, 07:43 PM   #23

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
Quote:
The rear window o our 37 Plymouth has a split window (with a bar running vertically) which makes backing to the center of the trailer easy enough, as I line up the bar with the center of the trim piece that encloses the guard (completes the circle at the bottom center of the cover.

MY problem IS from there on I cannot see the ball OR the hitch because of the curvature of the back part of the car and the height at which the rear window is located on the car body.....

...see the issue with the hump for the trunk and the height of the window on the car body?
Doug
You would not have that problem if you bought a newer type vehical.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:32 PM   #24

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Hay Ches....
at LEAST it isn't a stinky Deisel, LOL!!!!!
Attached Images