I have a theory - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-20-2008, 06:04 PM   #1

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
It ocurred to me that if I were to get a couple Canadian flag decals, and if I positioned them carefully, one in the centre of the RAV's rear window and one in the centre of the trailer that I could line them up to get on target. Then it ocurred to me that if the one in the back window were smaller ( and I have to determine how much smaller ) I would have a range-finder. Back up until the decal in the RAV just covers the one on the trailer. From there you might have to wiggle a bit.

Any thoughts on the practicality of this? Any better solutions that don't cost at lot?

So far, I have managed pretty well without any assist, but now I'm curious about the idea.

baglo

Old 08-20-2008, 06:47 PM   #2

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
I used a level on the front the my Scamp but, if I have to come in at an angle then it doesn't work very well. I those cases my other half has held a pole on top of the coupler so that I can line up on the coupler. I use a mirror when I get close enough.

Note to self: pick up a couple of those magnetic poles.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
I think your idea has some merit Glenn. I eyeball the middle of my tonneau cover to the middle of the rock guard when I'm lining things up, so why not have an actual decal (also saves having to go and put the magnet things in place each time). As long as it works for you that's all that matters.
Those coupler things that have the v-shaped area also look like a good option.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:38 PM   #4

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Interesting concept, but wouldn't work for me. The parking spot for my Scamp is on asphalt that's a couple of inches higher than where the rear tires of the truck are when hooking up. I could use the decals there, but what would happen to the "lineup" when the truck tires are on ground even with the trailer, like hooking up to leave a campground? The decals would be off...
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:52 PM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
Interesting concept, but wouldn't work for me. The parking spot for my Scamp is on asphalt that's a couple of inches higher than where the rear tires of the truck are when hooking up. I could use the decals there, but what would happen to the "lineup" when the truck tires are on ground even with the trailer, like hooking up to leave a campground? The decals would be off...
That would depend. If you put the flag decal on sideways ( vertical ) it might cover the other, at least partially. For range you would be looking at when the one on the vehicle covered the width of the other
Old 08-20-2008, 08:35 PM   #6

Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
Wink

We bought a set of these and used them this summer, they worked very well: MAGNETIC TRAILER ALIGNMENT KIT
at Harbor Freight= http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=95684

Telescoping rods extend to 43"
When the brightly colored markers are aligned, you're ready to hook up
Magnetic base

ITEM 95684-2VGA
Regularly $11.99 US
Now on Sale
$9.99 US

DesertHawk
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:58 PM   #7

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Thanks Adrian, I always wondered if those things work. I don't much room between my Subaru bumper plastic and my hitch... 3 inches too far and my bumper gets another ding .. not that I've bumped into it or anything
Old 08-20-2008, 11:03 PM   #8

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
I use something like that when I can come in straight. I line up with the back up light centered in my rear window/hatch. Doesn't help for distance, but it puts me in line with the coupler.

I have a simple tool.. and I have never seen another like it.. I think the guy that made them got sued and run out of biz.

It is a back up mirror, however, all the others I have seen go on the tug. Mine goes on a pole that sits on the frame of the trailer. It's a large convex mirror that sits over the top of the coupler. I can back and align the ball visually, perfect, almost every time.

The pole sits atop a U shaped bracket and has a thumbscrew tensioner. I simply plop it into place when needed, and move it back on the frame and out of the way when not in use. EZ PZ.

Ask anyone that has seen me use it.. it's a snap.. no help from an onlooker needed.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:25 PM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
I use something like that when I can come in straight. I line up with the back up light centered in my rear window/hatch. Doesn't help for distance, but it puts me in line with the coupler.

I have a simple tool.. and I have never seen another like it.. I think the guy that made them got sued and run out of biz.

It is a back up mirror, however, all the others I have seen go on the tug. Mine goes on a pole that sits on the frame of the trailer. It's a large convex mirror that sits over the top of the coupler. I can back and align the ball visually, perfect, almost every time.

The pole sits atop a U shaped bracket and has a thumbscrew tensioner. I simply plop it into place when needed, and move it back on the frame and out of the way when not in use. EZ PZ.

Ask anyone that has seen me use it.. it's a snap.. no help from an onlooker needed.
Thankyou. I bought a mirror for the back of the RAV and all I can see is the spare tire. Can't adjust the angle any further or all I see is the edge of the mirror. I can probably remove it from the RAV and "glue" it to the propane tree I bought and found quite useless ( Why would I need to illuminate my propane tank? ). Then maybe I can mount it on a propane tank at the front of the trailer. And, then I'll have the Clampets over for dinner, if it looks like anything else I've built.

Alternative is to continue doing what I've been doing, which is exiting the vehicle a dozen times to hit target. With the '94 Explorer and the tent trailer it was simple. You just backed up until you heard the hitch hit the vehicle. Move forward an inch and yard the trailer into position.

baglo
Old 08-21-2008, 12:41 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Name: Reace
Trailer: Escape Manufacturer
Hi Glenn

There is an older unit in for upgrades that has a mirror mounted on the rockshield. It looks similar to the one on the back of your Rav. Since the one on the Rav isn't working so well, maybe a little elbow grease will remove it and a little double sided tape will mount in a usable position!

Reace
Old 08-21-2008, 06:28 AM   #11

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Mine goes on a pole that sits on the frame of the trailer. It's a large convex mirror that sits over the top of the coupler. I can back and align the ball visually, perfect, almost every time.

Any chance of a couple of really clear pictures Gina? Maybe Glenn could use what he already has to make something similar?

I guess I should have paid attention when I've seen you and your trailer
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:44 AM   #12

Name: Patrick
Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty (Sold 2011)/ Honda Odyssey
Arizona
I think somebody should do a system like this. Change Down to Stop! and there you go. http://www.cracked.com/article_16556_15-im...otoshopped.html
Attached Thumbnails
Down1.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2008, 09:51 AM   #13

West Coast USA
Registry
I will try to remember this weekend.

It really makes much sense to have it on the tailer instead of the tug. I can adjust the height and aim the car for the mirror, rather than trying to use the car to aim the mirror at the trailer.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:59 AM   #14

West Coast USA
Registry
Here is a similar item

Same concept, different execution.

Mine actually has an arc in the pole that llows the mirror to hang directly over the coupler. And I can adjust the angle of the mirror