I need a new tow vehicle, are automatics as good as manual transmissions nowadays? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-31-2018, 11:44 PM   #41

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
A friend's Lexus is equipped with 'fly by wire' accelerator. Last I heard, it was in the shop, waiting for a $900 computer part.
The days of spraying everything with WD-40 are over.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:45 PM   #42

Name: Jim
Trailer: Escape 17B
Nevada
one could always just buy a wireless brake controller.

That's assuming there is a charge wire going from the trailer's 7-way back to its battery.
Jim99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:04 AM   #43

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
A friend's Lexus is equipped with 'fly by wire' accelerator. Last I heard, it was in the shop, waiting for a $900 computer part.
The days of spraying everything with WD-40 are over.
Yes, times have changed. And the enormous benefits that come with those changes make a huge difference. Variable valve timing, direct injection, better timing control with hotter spark and anti-knock sensing, much better fuel mileage and more power, traction control, antilock breaking, lighter cars, better reliability, lane warning, proximity sensing, automatic braking. And on and on.

Of course we had to give up clumsy linkage systems and gritty cables hooked up to carburetors that could not accurately control fuel mixture. That's where the WD 40 came in as chokes would stick or cables bound up. Ah, the good old days.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:13 AM   #44

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I can't see a problem
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:17 AM   #45
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
UI'm guessing there is no place on the car to plug the brakes in. I had a manual 2012 Forester with a tow rating of 2400 lbs. It came with a light connector for the light converter I bought from etrailer. At that time the factory tow package was a hitch and a 4 pin. If you wanted brakes and a charge line you had to add them yourself. Subaru would not touch it. Doing the job yourself is an adventure.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...hed-52650.html

After all that, I found the gearing and the hill holder clutch system made hill starts very difficult and the power marginal for towing my 1700 - 1800 lb Trillium. I went back to a truck. Good luck.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:01 AM   #46

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
I'm guessing there is no place on a the car to plug the brakes in. I had a manual 2012 Forester with a tow rating of 2400 lbs. It came with a light connector for the light converter I bought from etrailer. At that time the factory tow package was a hitch and a 4 pin. If you wanted brakes and a charge line you had to add them yourself. Subaru would not touch it. Doing the job yourself is an adventure.
I was thinking along the same lines. But the lack of wiring for trailer brakes has nothing really to do with the transmission type. And you're right, wiring it would be a tough job.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:03 AM   #47

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
No need for wiring:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001P0ZA86...PWIA5GEO&psc=0
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:45 AM   #48

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
Well, provided the Forester has a 7-pin connector. One end of the Tekonsha trailer power module must connect to that. It doesn't change the source of power for the trailer brakes. That still has to come from the vehicle. All the Prodigy RF brake controller does is eliminate the need for hard wiring the brake controller. After all, the brakes aren't wireless.
Attached Thumbnails
Tekonsha wireless TPM.jpg  
Old 02-01-2018, 09:11 AM   #49

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Yes, times have changed. And the enormous benefits that come with those changes make a huge difference. Variable valve timing, direct injection, better timing control with hotter spark and anti-knock sensing, much better fuel mileage and more power, traction control, antilock breaking, lighter cars, better reliability, lane warning, proximity sensing, automatic braking. And on and on.

Of course we had to give up clumsy linkage systems and gritty cables hooked up to carburetors that could not accurately control fuel mixture. That's where the WD 40 came in as chokes would stick or cables bound up. Ah, the good old days.
Don't forget re-bushing carburetor bodies when the throttle shafts would wear an oval hole and suck enough air to lean out the mixture at idle and low speeds! How about sanding the glaze off of brakes shoes, or changing points, or jiggering distributor advance mechanisms? Grrr.

After I bought my first car built in the 90's, I never looked back (My best runner at the time was also actually my oldest, a $500 1964 Nova with a 283 and two-speed Powerglide.)

I guess the issue for me is that I buy vehicles for transportation, not occupation. God bless the enthusiasts and the restorers for they keepeth the old iron shiny and purring. It's just not how I want to spend my time.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:19 AM   #50

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I would hope, (but I am an optimist) that if an automobile was too complex to install a brake controller, then it would either be built in, or at least there was some provision for plugging in one. But I guess that towing a trailer is not top of mind for all manufactures.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:36 AM   #51

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
I can't imagine why having a Tow Package and a manual trans would mean you can't tow with trailer brakes. Huh? And the dealer knew that is what you wanted to do with it. How is it the axle installer knows more than the dealer?

I can hardly wait for the final answer on this.

Do you have a brake controller and a seven pin plug? Did the axle/brake installer finish the installation and wire the trailer correctly for brakes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I would hope, (but I am an optimist) that if an automobile was too complex to install a brake controller, then it would either be built in, or at least there was some provision for plugging in one. But I guess that towing a trailer is not top of mind for all manufactures.
I'll put my dollar on the concept that, being limited to a 1,500 lb tow rating, the Subaru is only set up with a four-wire capability as they aren't anticipating folks pulling a trailer with brakes for such a light rating.

If I'm wrong, I'll email everyone their dollar.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:03 AM   #52

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
I'll put my dollar on the concept that, being limited to a 1,500 lb tow rating, the Subaru is only set up with a four-wire capability as they aren't anticipating folks pulling a trailer with brakes for such a light rating.
I agree but their logic would be flawed. In NY state you have to have brakes on a trailer over 1,000 lbs so even some of those teardrops would legally be required to have them.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:43 AM   #53

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post

If I'm wrong, I'll email everyone their dollar.
Common sense and logic would lead one to the same conclusion that you stated
My wife's car has a tow rating of 1000 lbs but the manufacturer made absolutely no provisions for towing. Her car can barely haul 4 passengers and trying to haul a trailer seems just plain stupid
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 01:06 PM   #54

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmindy View Post
So I have always had a standard and just got a new on Subaru Forester! I had just bought a Boler and it was one of the few vehicles that would haul 1500 lbs and came with a manual transmission. I got a tow package installed by the dealer and they knew ALL about my trailer. I went to get brakes put on the trailer when the axle was changed and was told my vehicle could not tow using brakes due to the tow package and the manual transmission. I have asked a couple knowledgeable folks and they all agree. Any suggestions?? I only have 2500 Kms on the Forester?
Mindy, these "knowledgeable folks" who told you brakes are impossible must know what specific problem or factor is limiting you from adding brakes. Please find out that factor and tell us. Because right now, I think most of us have a hard time believing that they are so knowledgeable.

Almost any vehicle can have some wires, fuse(s), a 7-pin receptacle, and a brake controller added. (I recall someone having trouble with connecting a wired brake controller in a newish Ford Escape, and they went the RF-controller route, but that's the only such problem I've read about.) If the trailer axle has backer plates for bolting on brake assemblies (I assume your new axle has this), the trailer can be outfitted with brakes and a 7-pin plug. So, where's the hangup? Ask those guys for us and for yourself, will you? Because, (1) we might be able to learn something important about the newest Subarus, or (2) we might learn something about those other advisors.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 01:37 PM   #55

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Back in the day when I first installed trailer brakes on my TV, I had to plumb into the rear brake line at the master cylinder to actuate the brake controller.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:01 PM   #56

Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
Back in the day when I first installed trailer brakes on my TV, I had to plumb into the rear brake line at the master cylinder to actuate the brake controller.
Yes, me too. A Brakesmart controller. The best aftermarket controller I've ever had. It was completely proportional based on brake line pressure. Better than a deceleration based controller. Of course, it also had to be wired.

I think that is also how all the factory ones work.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:05 PM   #57

Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
The owners manual for my old 2008 Toyota RAV4 stated, very clearly, that the trailer hitch itself should be removed from the vehicle when not towing.

Patently ridiculous, of course, but I'm sure there was some lawsuit sometime that cause that little bit of lawyer-induced insanity.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:15 PM   #58

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carlson View Post
The owners manual for my old 2008 Toyota RAV4 stated, very clearly, that the trailer hitch itself should be removed from the vehicle when not towing.

Patently ridiculous, of course, but I'm sure there was some lawsuit sometime that cause that little bit of lawyer-induced insanity.
Why is that ridiculous? I remove my hitch unless towing.
Are confusing the hitch with the hitch receiver ( which is bolted on )?
Is Toyota using the term hitch for ball mount?
Old 02-01-2018, 03:00 PM   #59

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Why is that ridiculous? I remove my hitch unless towing.
Are confusing the hitch with the hitch receiver ( which is bolted on )?
Is Toyota using the term hitch for ball mount?
yeah, I remove my hitch ball tow bar and replace it with a short shackle bar when I'm not towing. if nothing else, it saves your shins from getting whacked when you're behind the truck.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:07 PM   #60

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I remove my hitch and ball cause if I don't, it gets rusted in the receiver and then I can't get it out.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote