I Need a Stock Rim for a U-Haul 13' Camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2006, 01:33 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft U-Haul
I need a stock rim for a U-Haul camper.

You know, the odd-sized 13 X 4.5-inch rim with the 5-bolt pattern with 4.75-inch spacing.

If anybody out there has swapped out their original U-Haul camper rims and you're willing to sell me one, I'll be glad to take it off your hands!

Thanx!!
Buck62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:53 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Buck,

If you aren't able to find a used rim you might want to go to one of the larger U-Haul rental centers and ask that they order part # 23516006 for you.

Jeanne

Quote:
We had a long quest to get a 13" rim for our U-Haul, and after many trips to our local U-Haul center, finally had success too. What made the difference for us, was that on the final trip in, the employee gave [b]us the phone number of the major U-Haul center that they get parts from. Steve phoned, asked to speak to their parts person, ordered part # 23516006, and arranged to have it sent to our local U-Haul center (with that manager's knowledge). It cost $79.

I think the reason that we weren't originally successful at U-Haul was because the employees that made phone calls on our behalf explained the situation to the person on the other end. "Hi, I have a customer here with one of U-Haul's old camper trailers and they'd like to get a rim for it..." which always prompted discussions of how U-Haul was no longer responsible for the trailers. Success happens when you instead start the conversation by saying "Hi, I need to order part # 23516006" It's also best if your local U-Haul dealer calls to order the part - it was a little problematic when the person we called discovered that we weren't a U-Haul dealer ourselves since they aren't supposed to sell them to the public.

Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 02:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Buck,

If you aren't able to find a used rim you might want to go to one of the larger U-Haul rental centers and ask that they order part # 23516006 for you.

Jeanne
Thank you!!

I'll check into that!

In the meantime, I'm open for anyone with a used rim, because I'm sure it will be significantly cheaper than ordering one from U-Haul.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:41 AM   #4

I called U-Haul and they have the rim.

But it has to be ordered from California and they want $100 for it!!!

That's too much money.

I'd rather try to hunt down a used one and save the $$.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:32 AM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul
Quote:

That's too much money.

"GOOD LUCK" finding a used one , or some one who will part with one , being me i'd spend the money just to know its right and i am on a small fixed i ncome!
Terry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:28 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Any tire and wheel shop should be able to help you. They have a bunch of manufacturer manuals and can order the wheel you need. You should be able to get two brand new ones for what U-Haul wants for one. U-Haul doesn't manufacture their own wheels....someone else does that for them! The trick is to find out WHO that manufacturer is....it may be stamped somewhere on the rim. When I changed the axle on my Scamp and went to 15" tires/wheel I ordered Corvette Rally wheels, 5 on 4-1/2 bolt pattern...which is typically "Ford." AND, got the correct setback.

Good luck
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:51 AM   #7

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Quote:
Any tire and wheel shop should be able to help you.
Spoken with the optimism of the innocent. The UHaul wheels are a proprietary design, and UHaulers have been searching to find an equivalent for years - unsuccessfully.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:55 AM   #8

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
100 bones seems cheap in comparison to your hourly wage in trying to hunt one down.

Consider Price vs. actual COST when looking. Get the proper one from U Haul and be done with it.

MANY folks here have had the same dilema and have spent countless hours looking.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 08:21 AM   #9

Trailer: Trillium 4500
You might want to really consider a new axle for your trailer. A new axle only runs about $200-300and is not very difficult to install. In addition to having a standard hub pattern, you would end up with new spindles and bearings, E-Z lube hubs and peace of mind when pulling. I have 3 good used rims that have the standard 5x4.5" that would fit or you could buy some new spiffy rims for a lot less than $100. The projected life of a tortion axle is only about 20 years. If need be you could sell the old rims to help recoup your costs & help someone else out in the process. Just an alternative.
David Schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 09:26 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Spoken with the optimism of the innocent. The UHaul wheels are a proprietary design, and UHaulers have been searching to find an equivalent for years - unsuccessfully.
Yeah, well I was thinking he should purchase two...and sell what he has to recoup the cost. Maybe he's like some spiffy chrome ones. The bolt pattern isn't proprietary. Pontiac, Oldsmobile and some years of Corvettes have the same bolt pattern.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 09:49 AM   #11

Well, a new axle isn't an option, since I'd have to fork out $300 for the axle, at least $200 to install it, and then another $200 for rims.... Fo-ghettaboutit! Too much to spend!!

I'd just like to keep it simple and find one used rim, that's all.

If I can't find one by springtime I'll shell out 100 bones for a new one.

But until then, the search continues!!
Old 12-12-2006, 01:14 PM   #12

Quote:
The bolt pattern isn't proprietary. Pontiac, Oldsmobile and some years of Corvettes have the same bolt pattern.
There's a lot more to fitting a rim than the bolt pattern, Donna. If you want a real education on this UHaul issue, check out the 4 pages of tires n rims discussion in the 'Care & feeding' forum.

Rim offset is the main problem. Incorrect offset can wear holes in your wheel wells. Despite the efforts of many UHaulers over the years, no one has found a standard rim with the right offset. Replacing the axle - and buying 3 new rims - costs $$$, but is probably the best long-term solution.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Replacing the axle - and buying 3 new rims - costs $$$, but is probably the best long-term solution.
Maybe, but I can't afford to do that right now.

There's no point in replacing everything if the original axle works just fine.

I'm only going to use the extra rim for my spare to replace that silly donut-spare, so I'm in no hurry for now.

If nothing turns up by springtime I'll just fork over the $100 for the new rim and be done with it.

If anything, I'll just pop on some slick looking hubcaps to dress up the trailer a bit.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:59 PM   #14

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
That's too much money.
Buck, it sounds like you do have some options.

I use to manufacture trailers and found that there are many options if you are willing to search and ask questions (which you are doing here).

Jack mentioned replacing the axle. WOW, very spendy. I did do that on my trailer so I could get the High Lift Axle, but I wouldn’t recommend it.

If there is nothing wrong with the axle, then the easy thing to do is to find a good replacement wheel if you can. What you need to know is the diameter, width, bolt pattern, offset, and maximum pressure allowed. Many trailer wheels have a max. of 50psi. yet the tires ask for 60psi. so watch it.

The next level of search it to replace the HUBs. Then you will be able to get wheels for your needs. To replace the Hubs, you may need to also replace the bearings. Not a big deal. You know they are fresh and that you have packed them with good grease as well.

Here are a couple of resources to get you thinking and finding options that may work for you.

[b]Trailer Wheel Hub & Trailer Wheel Hub Kits
http://zlbearing.en.alibaba.com/product/50...l_Hub_Kits.html

HUB & BEARING
http://www.easternmarine.com/em_store/hubs/
http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fu...;categoryID=188

They carry Hubs and Bearings for these trailers (probably have something that will work for you):<blockquote>ATV Trailer Hubs, Boat Trailer Hubs, Box Trailer Hubs, Bunk Trailer Hubs, Car Trailer Hubs, [b]Cargo Trailer Hubs, [b]Camper Trailer Hubs, Canoe Trailer Hubs, Concession Trailers, Construction Trailers, Dump Trailer Hubs, Enclosed Trailer Hubs, Equipment Trailer Hubs, Farm Trailer Hubs, Firewood Trailer Hubs, Flatbed Trailer Hubs, Garden Trailer Hubs, Golf Cart Trailer Hubs, Gooseneck Trailer Hubs, Hauling Trailer Hubs, Horse Trailer Hubs, Industrial Trailer Hubs, Landscape Trailer Hubs, Lawn Trailer Hubs, Log Splitter Hubs, Motorcycle Trailer Hubs, [b]Moving Trailer Hubs, Pontoon Trailer Hubs, Pop Up Trailer Hubs, Race Car Trailer Hubs, [b]Recreational Trailers, Roller Trailer Hubs, [b]RV Trailer Hubs, Snowmobile Trailers, [b]Tent Trailer Hubs, Tilt Trailer Hubs, [b]Utility Trailer Hubs, Wood Hauler Hubs</blockquote>
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 04:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Jack mentioned replacing the axle. WOW, very spendy.
I only mentioned axle replacement because all UHauls (including mine) are getting to the age where the original axles are approaching the end of their service life, and replacement may soon be necessary. Assuming you may have to spend the $$$ within the next year or so anyway, doing it now isn't that big a deal.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:36 PM   #16

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Good point Jack.

As I mentioned, “If there is nothing wrong with the axle...”
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 05:26 PM   #17

Quote:
I only mentioned axle replacement because all UHauls (including mine) are getting to the age where the original axles are approaching the end of their service life, and replacement may soon be necessary. Assuming you may have to spend the $$$ within the next year or so anyway, doing it now isn't that big a deal.
The trailer I'm buying has barely been used for the past ten years. It has less than a thousand miles on it in the last decade. So, I'm not anticipating too much wear on it. If anything, I'll replace the NEV-R-LUBE wheel-bearing cartridges before the summer and I'll be good to go.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:08 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I don't know much about UHaul trailers, but I believe Nev-R-Lube is a fairly recent thing in RV axles, so it seems to me that your axle may be a replacement, rather than an original (Unless UHaul wanted a low-maintenance system and had it designed into their proprietary axles).
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 08:58 AM   #19

UHauls were built with sealed bearings - don't know the maker.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:41 PM   #20

Quote:
UHauls were built with sealed bearings - don't know the maker.
Yes, they were... and that's the NEV-R-LUBE sealed-bearing cartridges I referenced.

I think Pete is thinking of the newer E-Z-LUBE axles, which are different in that they have grease-fittings that allow you to grease the bearings without removing the wheel.

But don't quote me on this.

Tags
u-haul