I needa spare..what kind of rim fits? - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-19-2007, 01:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 1974 Beachcomber B15 lo-liner
Hello all, Well I recntly got my new fiber and am missing a spare, Does anyone know what fits a B15 Beachcomber?(1974)Thanks!

Old 04-19-2007, 02:16 PM   #2

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
The brochure says it has F78-14 tires, I don't have a clue as to the bolt pattern. Might be one of those things were it's best to take a tire/wheel off and take it to the store with you .....

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:35 PM   #3

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
The brochure says it has F78-14 tires....
... which is approximately 205/78R14 (radial) or 205/78D14 (bias ply), in modern sizing notation; a 205/75R14 (or 205/75R14) would be the closest size likely to be available... but maybe the idea is just to match the existing tires.

I agree that the most certain approach is to either measure the holes in one of the existing wheels, or take it to the store.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:33 AM   #4

Hi Guys, and thanks for the info. I had been told a lot of Dodge wheels, will fit Bolers...so I thought someone might know which ones would fit a beach. I was planning on taking the hubs off to grease anyway, so will just take a hub with me to the junk yard to match rim bolt pattern. It is a 14 inch 5 lug bolt pattern, which all North American Car manufacturers made at some point...so I know I will find one to fit. Cause if I find out the maufacturer it enables me to pick from a variety of stock styled rally wheels , or update to chrome at a later date. I am hoping GM will fit,lol, as they had they widest variety, and some nice factory rally wheels. I am doubtful though. Anyhow when I find out, I will pass info on.....Is there many Beachcomber owners on this site?
Old 04-20-2007, 09:41 AM   #5

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Be care of any setback on a car/truck wheel, it may be different than you need for your trailer.

I just searched for Beachcomber owners...and as long as it was placed in the "RV Type" when they registered, this is what I was able to come up with:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	7396

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:55 AM   #6

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
IF they are in fact a Dodge bolt pattern then they will also fit a Ford as well, these two bolt patterns are interchangable. So this opens up your parts source even more.

We had Mazda (Ford) factory mags on our Trillium before I bought the polished AL. mags that are on the trailer now.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:24 PM   #7

Wellllll, I thought I would come back here and answer my own question, part of it I knew, but perhaps some of you do not. I took the hub off and went to the junk yard, with it being a 5 lug, 14 inch pattern, I new I would have to look for something older. It turns out it was a Ford pattern, which should be easy......NOT. Although Ford and Mazda are the same pattern (late dodges are not the same as ford), you can not use the rim from a front wheel drive because of the backspacing (rearwheel drive rims ar concave, while front wheel and 4wd are almost flush in reference to lug nuts to outer rim edge)Which pretty well leaves the mustang and ranger.
After seeing this I decided to go with a very rough pair of late 80's ranger rims at the cost of 30 bucks ( Ford 1/2 tons are yet another size)
After much elbow grease I bought them back to a nice looking rim (email me for process), added knock-off center caps, and made a real improvement on the trailer as I bought it with plain black steel wheels, I couldn't even get a hub cap or trim ring to fit them.
Anyhow, although the made such an improvment in the look of the trailer, the were 1 inch wider than the stock rims, which did not seem to be a problem when I first mounted them (195/70/14)
So although it might not be a problem with all beachcombers, I found out the hard way my axle was not centered, foolishly I checked only the passenger side for clearance wehn mounting them(had lots), and although it spun freely......the drivers side wore a hole in the sidwall after 4 trips, due to it rubbing on the wheelwell, when jarring back-n-forth. So please keep this in mind if you do the same. Instead of centering the axle, which would be a big job, I am replacing the lugs with longer lugs (1/2 inch ford from local speed shop, moroso brand), and using a wheel spacer which will bring the drivers side out 1/2 inch. Hope this helps sombody not make the mistake I made.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:31 PM   #8

rims
Attached Thumbnails
rims_small.JPG  
Old 08-25-2007, 11:38 PM   #9

BTW...my personal site is.....
http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/peivanityplates/
Old 08-27-2007, 05:25 PM   #10

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
There was a stud spacing chart here at one time. I tried a search and couldn't find it, but had saved it with my favorites.
http://fiberglassrv.com/files/5-StudCircleTemplate.pdf
Print the form full size. Highlight the spacing to match your wheel and you can take it with you when shopping. A lot lighter than carrying a wheel. EH!
Old 08-29-2007, 12:41 AM   #11

Trailer: 1974 Beachcomber
Quote:
rims
Darcy,

I also just got a 1974 Beachcomber B15 trailer - I am curious about how you went about polishing those rims, I'm thinking of getting something similar. (I'll make sure to check clearance on both sides however). Our trailer currently has P205/75/R14 tires on it which we want to change out.

One thing of note - using spacers on your wheels does increase the load on the bearings - be sure to make sure they in good condition & are checked a little more frequently. (everyone here in BC seemed to have a lowered truck with extreme offset rims in the 90's - chewed up front bearings & axle bearings in no time)
Old 08-29-2007, 08:12 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
If you guys are using automotive wrecking yard rims, be sure they can handle the pressures your trailer tires use, which are typically higher than automotive pressures. Rims do have pressure ratings and I believe they are stamped inside.

There's a lot more to this than just matching bolt holes; the centering (hub or lug), the offset and the 'dishing' (space on the back side of the rim) are all important.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Darcy,

I also just got a 1974 Beachcomber B15 trailer - I am curious about how you went about polishing those rims, I'm thinking of getting something similar. (I'll make sure to check clearance on both sides however). Our trailer currently has P205/75/R14 tires on it which we want to change out.

One thing of note - using spacers on your wheels does increase the load on the bearings - be sure to make sure they in good condition & are checked a little more frequently. (everyone here in BC seemed to have a lowered truck with extreme offset rims in the 90's - chewed up front bearings & axle bearings in no time)
Hello Devan, It is a good piont about the load on the bearings, although with the slight amount of spacing I need and the quality of studs I am using, coupled with the fact the beachcomber hubs are pretty heavy duty. Regardless, I will be carring spare wheel bearings on board, and will check hubs frequently for the first while. Thanks for bringing up the point.
As for the rims, like I said they are from a top of the line late 80's ranger 2wd, and for anybody living where they use salt on the roads know, aluminum rims blister after a few years, because they have a plastic clear coat that, once disturbed, starts to corrode. This usually happens where wheel weights have been applied, and around lugs. Luckily with this style rim, I did not have to work around the boltholes or center because the center caps covers it. My method was...
1. Spray with easy off oven cleaner, to get rid of plastic coating ( most of it)
2. Wire rotary brush on a heavy duty drill (no cordless)
3. Sand by hand with paper to get rid of any discolorization left by brush, or imperfections medium grit then fine
4. polish with rotary pad on cordless drill with "mothers" aluminum polish
5. Painted gold ring by hand with fine brush
Would love to see pix of your 74,,and curious what the serial is....Any idea if 74 was the first year?
Old 09-04-2007, 11:49 PM   #14

Trailer: 1974 Beachcomber
Darcy,

Thanks for the info on refinishing the rims. My Beachcomber is S/N 1054. I'm not too sure on the history of them, doesn't seem to be too many, and I haven't been able to find any older than 1974 or newer than 1979.

I've attached a pic of the trailer, it has been painted by a previous owner (very badly though), and I am going to need to fix some rot in the wooden structure behind the wheelwells as the mounts near the back of the trailer have sunken into the fiberglass / wood supports by about 1/2". I plan on removing the entire interior and rebuilding as necessary (as well as sanding and repainting the entire trailer)

Do you have any pics of your B15?