In towing a Scamp 13 do you need trailer mirrors - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2016, 05:52 PM   #21

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
My Ford Expedition mirrors, which have inset convex lenses, are fine for the lanes left and right with my Casita 17, but I can't see who's right behind me. I doubt if extensions would help much.

I'm thinking of getting one of those signs the truckers have:

/Mr Lynn
Like the sign lol
Old 07-07-2016, 06:01 PM   #22

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Carol H. usually seemed to have things like the various legal requirements at her fingertips, for both CA and US, but she is lost to the Aluminium World.

How about the sticker one of the members has: "IF YOU CAN'T SEE MY MIRRORS I CAN'T SEE YOU!"
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:06 PM   #23

Colorado
This is scary - four of us have the same idea within 12 minutes!
Old 07-07-2016, 07:01 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Go Here:
Mirror Laws by State (U.S.) - EcoModder

Vermont law is loosy goosey. Most others requires visibility to rear in adjacent lanes for 200'.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:03 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
How about the sticker one of the members has: "IF YOU CAN'T SEE MY MIRRORS I CAN'T SEE YOU!"
Yup, stick it over the interior mirror.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:16 PM   #26

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I replaced Tow-'n'-See with Milenco Grand Aero.
They attach to the mirror housing with thumb screws so you can operate the vehicle mirrors independently ( unlike Tow-'n'-See, which blocks part of the mirror where it is attached ).
Similar to Glenn, after trying other products, I've ended up with the Milenco and am very happy with it. It's easy to install and remove, sufficiently stable for a clear view, and as he points out, it doesn't interfere with the fixed mirrors. I tow a scamp 13 with an '08 Highlander and wouldn't feel safe without a good towing mirror. I use a rear camera as well, but the view works well only for close-trailing vehicles and isn't adequate to replace the mirrors.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:23 PM   #27

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
[QUOTE=M Scott;596880]Leon, you can have my flat mirrors - I quit using them, as I can see fine with my Subaru Outback mirrors. The flat mirrors move from vibration and I'm constantly adjusting them. I check the review mirror on curves for vehicles too close behind me. Think I'll look into the convex type.

Convex is good.

Measure the "wing span" of your side mirrors. Compare that with the width of the trailer. (Scamps are about 6' 8" overall width) Unless your mirrors are wider than the trailer you cannot see anything behind the trailer.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:35 PM   #28

The law isn't concerned with you being able to see directly behind the trailer. It requires that you can see traffic in adjacent lanes for 200'.
A convex mirror makes those vehicles small, distorting the view. I attached small convex mirrors to my vehicle mirror to see hazards that are close.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:37 PM   #29

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Quote:
This is scary - four of us have the same idea within 12 minutes!
Great minds think alike!

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:46 PM   #30

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
The law isn't concerned with you being able to see directly behind the trailer. It requires that you can see traffic in adjacent lanes for 200'.
A convex mirror makes those vehicles small, distorting the view. I attached small convex mirrors to my vehicle mirror to see hazards that are close.
I am less concerned about the "law" as I am with my ability to know whats around me, including those idiots who follow too close.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:53 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
I am less concerned about the "law" as I am with my ability to know whats around me, including those idiots who follow too close.
What do you do about it? Scold them?
Best thing you can do is keep your eyes on the road ahead so you will have no need to sharply brake and possibly provoke an accident.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:49 PM   #32

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
What do you do about it? Scold them?
Best thing you can do is keep your eyes on the road ahead so you will have no need to sharply brake and possibly provoke an accident.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:44 AM   #33

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
watch the shadows of vehicles too close to be seen in your mirror. works well except at midday of course.

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:34 AM   #34

Colorado
Quote:
Go Here:
Mirror Laws by State (U.S.) - EcoModder

Vermont law is loosy goosey. Most others requires visibility to rear in adjacent lanes for 200'.
This is interesting, thanks for posting it.
The common thread is the 200 feet minimum (...a free and unobstructed view of the highway for a distance of at least two hundred feet to the rear of such vehicle...), but otherwise it is not clear at all. Does this cover everything from the trailer bumper back, for at least 200 feet? Measured on the centerline of the rig? On a line parallel? (Which one of the infinite number of parallel lines?) I am confused.

The only attempt to deal with the geometry is in Connecticut: Each motor vehicle shall be equipped with a mirror attached to and so located and adjusted on such vehicle as to give the operator thereof a clear reflected view of the highway directly to the rear of or on a line parallel to the left side of the body of such motor vehicle. However, even this is pretty lame.

So, legal or not, we need to make the best attempt to enable our visibility of what is behind us and be aware, for our own good.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:03 AM   #35

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
I tow without extra mirrors on my outback. There are times when I have to plan a bit more when merging but its pretty rare that I feel I need more mirror. I can see the adjacent lane just fine, but I am limited in seeing behind.
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:23 AM   #36

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
I tow my Escape 13 (which is probably wider than the Scamp 13-not sure) with a Hyundai Santa Fe and I don't use any extended mirrors. What I have is small convex stick-on mirrors which give me a wider field of view and cover the normal blind spots. A huge help when changing lanes.
If somebody is directly behind me on a straightaway I can't see them. But I can see them on corners.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:47 AM   #37

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Most of the "extended" mirrors I see on this topic to me are TOO distracting! Vibrating? Maybe it's just ok for me, but with my 13' Scamp and Nissan Frontier, I need to see DIRECTLY behind my Scamp more than I do back a ways...which with my setup (stock mirrors) is not a problem. MOST of my danger has come from directly behind the Scamp.....so thus the camera. PLUS, there's been times I needed to back up at a gas pump, campsites or such and the camera is invaluable. What I also have found that I can see ANY vehicle behind me at any time either in the cam and/or in my side mirrors.

As far as keeping your eyes on the road so you "WONT" have a problem stopping? Get on the Natchez Trace and tell all the deer and other wildlife that...that can dart out in front of you in a blink of an eye!

If any of you ever try a back-up camera, I say you will NEVER be without one again...at least after my experiences, that's true for me!!
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:16 AM   #38

Colorado
Before this topic becomes a dead horse, let me throw this in, some might find it helpful:

I adjust the mirrors so that I can see the pavement and glance at the path the trailer wheels follow in sharp turns, especially the right turn. I look for the feedback on how well I am keeping away from curbs.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:51 AM   #39

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:
Before this topic becomes a dead horse, let me throw this in, some might find it helpful:

I adjust the mirrors so that I can see the pavement and glance at the path the trailer wheels follow in sharp turns, especially the right turn. I look for the feedback on how well I am keeping away from curbs.
I do the same with the mirrors that came on the truck and use extended mirrors for watching traffic.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:11 PM   #40

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Scott View Post
Glenn, Amazon has the mirror set you mention at 3.6 pounds and $125... Is that a lot of weight on your auto mirror? Looks like a good product
If they don't lock on, how long will $125 mirrors last before they 'walk away'?

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp