Increasing load carrying on our 16' Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2012, 11:20 PM   #21

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
The curbside body is longer on a lot of trailers Tom. Most notable in the boler offspring. It allows for the lowered floor at the door.

Is there a difference in distance further back where the body is straighter at the floor? On the diagram for mine I measured 12" from top of frame to body curbside and 13" streetside.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:30 AM   #22

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Gezzz if I am not mistake you have a 2003 Scamp correct? needs new axle already? seriously? actually just looked at your before photo.... sure doesnt look like the axle was gone... hummmm.
Carol,
My axle was functioning as new, but with my new wider and taller wheels and tires there was a clearance issue to the fender openings. I needed a different offset wheel or a narrower axle. I went the shorter axle route. I added a spacer between the axle and frame for more height. The Flexiride also is adjustable for height.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:38 AM   #23

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Is the Scamp body offset on the frame by an inch like on some trailers ?
Measure from the frame to a point on the wheel well on both sides and compare.
Mine measures pretty close to symmetrical. I centered the new axle between the frame rails and squared it to the hitch coupler. The stock Scamp axle placement put the tire closer to one side of the body. Whether this was deliberate or just loose tolerances I don't know.
Russ
Old 08-20-2012, 03:18 PM   #24

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
OK, on mine street-side measures around 3.5 from bottom of upper floor (frame) to molding all the way back to bumper. Curbside measures around 8 by door and tapers to 3.5 back by marker light. So the front wheel well opening really curves under. When i first bought the Scamp thought something was seriously wrong with it as the curbside tire seemed to be more tucked into the opening than streetside. Went with 14 inch tires and definitely had to trim curbside opening more. My axle or body isnt offset to the frame ,as far as I can tell. Russ I would go with the loose tolerance theory
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #25

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Russ, sorry I realized after looking back at all your post that you where just using the need for an axle as an excuse to upgrade the tires.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #26

California
I finished the axle replacement a couple of weeks ago and it is working as it should. I attached a few more pics of the project. The first shot is the spacer tube welded to the frame. It had to be cantelevered off of the frame to provide welding room on the inside which was blocked by the floor OSB sheathing. The second shot shows a kicker plate which handles the cantelevered loads by transfering the forces up to the side of the main frame member.
Russ
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00229.JPG   DSC00231.JPG  

Old 09-09-2012, 05:41 PM   #27

California
More progress shots.
The first pic is of the Flexiride axle splined axle shaft. The second is the adjustable trailing arm spindle. The trailing arm is adjustable for height only, not width, as there is a groove that mates with the pinch bolt making the width non-variable. The third pic is the axle tube mounted under the trailer before the new brakes and hubs were installed. The axle was bolted to the spacer tubes with 1/2" grade 8 flange head bolts and locking nuts. The original Scamp axle was welded to the floor supports to help support the center of the floor. I fabbed a bolt together strut to serve the same purpose, but be removable with the axle.
Russ
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00234.JPG   DSC00236.JPG  

DSC00237.JPG  
Old 09-09-2012, 05:53 PM   #28

California
More project shots.
The first shows the axle under the trailer with the floor support strut in place. The second pic is the trailer and TV in a supermarket parking lot with the new axle, wheels and tires. The third was taken on her first outing to Carlsbad State Beach Campground.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00238.JPG   DSC00254.JPG  

DSC00267.jpg  
Old 09-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #29

California
This tuesday we'll be heading to Moab Utah to play with the Jeep on the unbelievably beautiful terrain. We will stay one night in Zion on the way, and possibly another in Bryce or Capitol Reef. I will check the lugnuts every hundred miles at first, and check hub temps, tire pressures, etc. The new axle rides nice, and the new brakes were numb at first, but are gripping better after just 30 miles of use.
Russ

It's margarita time at Margaritaville! Carlsbad State Beach, first outing.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00260.jpg  
Old 09-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #30

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Have a ton of fun! Safe travels
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:21 PM   #31

California
Thanks Donna!
We are looking forward to this trip.
Russ
Old 09-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #32

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
and you'll post pictures of your trip too when you get back... won't you
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:31 PM   #33

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
If you don't mind me asking what is the cost of a new axle? I have a 19' fifth wheel that someone weilded an old leaf spring axle to. I'd like to get it back to original asap.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #34

Minnesota
Registry
Steve,
I was quoted 430.00 yesterday for a 3500# dexrel axle, hubs, and brakes.
That was out the dealers door but not installed
Old 10-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #35

Registry
Hmmmm, can the drexel be welded? I put everything on hold when I saw the butcher job leaf spring axle on my rig. Can't believe I didn't notice it prior. I did drive about 5k miles with it and didn't notice anything.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #36

Minnesota
Registry
on Scamps original axle is welded right to frame, but you might want to get if going with a drexel, is the side bolt plate which you weld to frame then axle is bolted to that http://united-trailers.com/Uploads/Manuals/Manual_6.pdf
Think about page 55 shows the axle
But if leaf springs are working out maybe you dont want to change
Old 10-13-2012, 11:35 AM   #37

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
Steve,
I was quoted 430.00 yesterday for a 3500# dexrel axle, hubs, and brakes.
That was out the dealers door but not installed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
Hmmmm, can the drexel be welded? I put everything on hold when I saw the butcher job leaf spring axle on my rig. Can't believe I didn't notice it prior. I did drive about 5k miles with it and didn't notice anything.
The $430 sounds about right for a Dexter axle (dexrel is a new one on me??). You can weld the Dexter mounting brackets to your trailer chassis but a much better solution is to weld a 'mounting kit' to the chassis & bolt the new axle to that. The kit is only a few bucks (think less'n $30) & well worth it for any future replacement/maintenance of the axle.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #38

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I had Scamp install a complete new axle with a 3 " lift on my 16 FTer . Cost was $600.00 installed and they installed the brackets so the axle is now a bolt on axle (Cost as of 4-15-2012)
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #39

Registry
If only I lived as close to Scamp, LOL!

Actually I bought this thing really cheap ($2500) and it was kind of a pit, has mold smell, fridge not working properly, converter/charger in pieces, tires were shot, finish is poor, etc, etc. I was planning a nice solar system with dual batteries, new fridge, new electronics, paint, interior mods, etc, etc. A new axle at this point was not in the budget. I might go ahead with the original plan and wory about the axle at a later date.

Tags
scamp