Increasing the carrying capacity of a Trillium - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-25-2011, 12:31 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
David Tilston's Avatar
 
Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Posts: 5,317
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H View Post
If your axle is 33 years old, it needs replaced. I switched to a Dexter 3500# axle with an additional 1.5" of lift, to fit the new 14" rims and tires. 14" wheels would not have fit otherwise.Attachment 41538
If your axle is stock, then it's welded in place and needs to be cut off. This led me to having mine done professionally.
I just got off the phone with the folks at Team Trillium Trailers Manufacturing Ltd. in Calgary, (where I live). They ball parked me at about $1000 for a new axle installed.

Does this seem reasonable?
__________________

__________________
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:59 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,398
Registry
Did you not get that quote from Mr. Young for new frame and axle for $1750?, Seems to me that is a better buy. Putting new axle on a old frame, albeit surface rust, seems to me a lot more expensive if the frame is overloaded and cracks. That additional $750 is better investment, IMHO!
__________________

__________________
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 02:44 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
I don't know about pricing in Canada... but I think that's at least $300-$400 higher than what I'd pay here in Portland, Oregon. The axle itself is less than $400. I'd say shop around. YMMV
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:11 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
David Tilston's Avatar
 
Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Posts: 5,317
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I don't know about pricing in Canada... but I think that's at least $300-$400 higher than what I'd pay here in Portland, Oregon. The axle itself is less than $400. I'd say shop around. YMMV
Well, I don't mean to sound bitter, but as a Canadian, I am accustomed to paying too much. Magazines and books still have a MUCH higher Canadian price then the American price. Even though our currency is basically at parity. I think this is just a trend here. The person I talked to said that it was a 4 to 6 hour job, since the axle is welded on. They would cut it off and add a bolting plate so it would be easier to change next time, (in twenty years?).

I will be shopping around, but they do seem very popular with the RV crowd. I went there for lunch. There are four Bolers and two large Motor homes, and one new Trillium, (Outback) on their floor.

Of course a new frame from Trillium RV for $1750 would be a better long term investment. This is especially true since that included the higher rated coupler and chains, which I will still need to change on my trailer. I would still have to import it from Temecula, CA. I have to guess this would be several hundred dollars. I have requested a shipping quote from Tom.

This is as opposed to a shop ten minuets from where I work and five from my home, who I assume will be familiar with my trailer. Though their frame design is totally different from mine. No bends and 1/8" thick tube. It looks heavy!
__________________
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:06 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 4500 1977
Quebec
Posts: 156
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
(...)The person I talked to said that it was a 4 to 6 hour job, since the axle is welded on. They would cut it off and add a bolting plate so it would be easier to change next time, (in twenty years?).
(...)
There is no question in my mind that shipping and customs brokerage cost of a new frame will cancel any apparent bargain price from US. If it is still in fair shape, I would think upgrading your current frame would be the least expensive option (new axle, minor reinforcements and new 2" coupler). Having the modification performed by the manufacturer is the safest option from the insurance and legal stand point too.

If rust or cracks make your old frame irrecoverable, your next option could be to get a price for a brand new frame from the manufacturer, with increased capacity.
__________________
Martin J. Qc Canada
lamimartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:45 AM   #48
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
I'd always hope you'd find the answers you seek here on FiberglassRV. However, there are times it's prudent to check elsewhere on the WWW. I have a friend that's a Bolerite and she says perhaps you should log into the Bolerama forum and ask your question there as well. I understand lots of Boler and Trillium owners hang there. Hopefully someone from Alberta can help you find another source for axle replacement.
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:25 AM   #49
Senior Member
 
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Posts: 163
That price is high; but maybe it's just the Canada thing. I went to a dedicated suspension shop and my bill looked something like this:
Dexter 3500#, EZ lube, 10" electric brakes- $388
2 fancy 14" aluminum wheels with tires- $320
1 white 14" steel spare with tire- $100
2"ball A frame coupler- $30
New sidewind jack- $44
2 BAL crank down stabilizer jacks- $57
New saftey chains with anchors- $25
Labor for everything plus welding on a new propane rack- $260
Total- $1230
__________________
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:08 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
David Tilston's Avatar
 
Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Posts: 5,317
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H View Post
That price is high; but maybe it's just the Canada thing. I went to a dedicated suspension shop and my bill looked something like this:
Dexter 3500#, EZ lube, 10" electric brakes- $388
2 fancy 14" aluminum wheels with tires- $320
1 white 14" steel spare with tire- $100
2"ball A frame coupler- $30
New sidewind jack- $44
2 BAL crank down stabilizer jacks- $57
New saftey chains with anchors- $25
Labor for everything plus welding on a new propane rack- $260
Total- $1230
OK - To be fair, it was a ball park price. He gave me a verbal on the axle of $400 and 4 to 6 hours labor, $120/hr, (welcome to Calgary).

Got my fuel pump replaced in Wawa, Ontario this summer, at $70/hr. I almost passed out! A big THANK YOU to the GM dealership in Wawa. You guys rock! BTW this was two of the kids favorite part of the trip. Wawa has this cool park with a beach and some HUGE mining equiptment that all the kids loved climbing over.

When I was at the factory for lunch, the trailer that I came to look at was a Boler that was getting the same axle and wheels. I wanted to look at the wheels. They had the body off the frame, and the guy I was talking to said sominthing like ~"bring it in and we will pull it off the frame and let you know what condition the frame really is.~", or something like that. They build the frames for the Outback, so they can sand blast and paint my frame, which seems to be in good shape. I am sure that they can install a new 2" coupler as well.

The $1750 from Trillium RV did not include instalation or freight. Both could add up to another $1500, or more.

I have requested a quote with seperate lines for axle, coupler, wheels, and frame paint. I expect he will want me to bring in the trailer to look at first.
Attached Thumbnails
Trillium 4500 - Axle - Driver Side - Zero Load.jpg   Trillium 4500 - Coupler - Underside.jpg  

Trillium 4500 - Coupler - Underside - Detail.jpg   Trillium 4500 - Frame - Back to Front.jpg  

Trillium 4500 - Frame - Front to Back.jpg  
__________________
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:33 AM   #51
Senior Member
 
Name: Fred
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Washington
Posts: 232
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I would make the changes myself, but if you don't have the tools and skills to do so, it would be easy to simply remove the body from the frame and order a trailer of the appropriate size, then just bolt it on to it's new chassis. You would be surprised how cheap that can be, I have a source which would build it for under a thousand dollars. you could probably have it done for under 15.
Question for FLOYD: I too have a trillium 4500 that needs to have its frame repaired or replaced. Can you point me to your source for frame construction / repair?
__________________
freddo411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:21 PM   #52
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,048
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddo411 View Post
Question for FLOYD: I too have a trillium 4500 that needs to have its frame repaired or replaced. Can you point me to your source for frame construction / repair?
I see you live in Washington State. I live in Illinois. I have been in the "car hobby" all my adult life, so my sources are friends with like interests and personal connections for material. The numbers in my posts are simply guesses based on past experience.
I suggest that you remove the body from your frame, have it sand blasted, then take it to a local weld shop for evaluation and repair.
That would be the lowest priced approach. Any decent fab shop could reproduce something as simple as a trailer frame if needed.


A few years ago I bought a new two axle utility/carhauler trailer for $900 with brakes on one axle. I had to supply my own floor,ramps, and wheels and tires. That was from a local guy who hauled trailers in from Sikeston and Elkhart.
I can't speak to price where you live, but a simple search turned up the places below which specialize in trailer fabrication and repair.
After you do your research, please report back here and let us know how far off I was on my guesses.

Service - 99 West Trailers | 99 West Trailers


Tuff Trailer | Boat Trailers | Utility Trailers


Washington RV Repair and Maintenance
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:57 PM   #53
Senior Member
 
Name: Fred
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Washington
Posts: 232
Registry
Thanks for the pointers.

Any helpful hints on lifting the shell and supporting the shell once it is lifted?

I will let everyone know how things go for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I see you live in Washington State. I live in Illinois. I have been in the "car hobby" all my adult life, so my sources are friends with like interests and personal connections for material. The numbers in my posts are simply guesses based on past experience.
I suggest that you remove the body from your frame, have it sand blasted, then take it to a local weld shop for evaluation and repair.
That would be the lowest priced approach. Any decent fab shop could reproduce something as simple as a trailer frame if needed.


A few years ago I bought a new two axle utility/carhauler trailer for $900 with brakes on one axle. I had to supply my own floor,ramps, and wheels and tires. That was from a local guy who hauled trailers in from Sikeston and Elkhart.
I can't speak to price where you live, but a simple search turned up the places below which specialize in trailer fabrication and repair.
After you do your research, please report back here and let us know how far off I was on my guesses.

Service - 99 West Trailers | 99 West Trailers


Tuff Trailer | Boat Trailers | Utility Trailers


Washington RV Repair and Maintenance
__________________
freddo411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:45 PM   #54
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,048
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddo411 View Post
Thanks for the pointers.

Any helpful hints on lifting the shell and supporting the shell once it is lifted?

I will let everyone know how things go for me.
I am not specifically familiar with the 4500,although I once did refit a Trillium 13.
Assuming they are built in a similar manner, I would ...
Remove all frame bolts
Lift one corner or end at a time using a floor jack with a one foot square of 3/4" plywood for a pad. Then slide a 2X12 across between the frame and the body front and rear . support the cross boards with jack stands,then simply pull the frame out from under making sure to clear any obstacles protruding through the floor. The frame alone can be easily scooted side to side once the weight is off.
The Trillium is a tough and rigid trailer with a good floor, but I think I would stay out of it while the frame is out.
I know it won't be as easy as it sounds but careful determination trumps difficulty.
Hopefully there are some others on this forum who know more than I do about your trailer, and can offer some better and more specific help
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:47 PM   #55
Senior Member
 
Borden's Avatar
 
Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Posts: 1,002
Registry
We are lucky that the boler had a 3500 lb axle and going from st205r14 b rated to st205r14 c rated gave the extra weight rating; c gave us 1760 lbs per tire. The the original 1500 lbs each for b rated gave 3000 lbs total was enough but felt since we needed new tires it was a good idea.

boler recommended a wd hitch system and 202 lbs at the tongue for our trailer in the original manual, that is just under 10%

Pulled last week with about 8% and pulled very well but we have a car not a truck and the lower position of a car does not require a much tongue weight to ride correctly.
__________________
1978 Ontario made Boler
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:35 PM   #56
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,048
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
We are lucky that the boler had a 3500 lb axle and going from st205r14 b rated to st205r14 c rated gave the extra weight rating; c gave us 1760 lbs per tire. The the original 1500 lbs each for b rated gave 3000 lbs total was enough but felt since we needed new tires it was a good idea.

boler recommended a wd hitch system and 202 lbs at the tongue for our trailer in the original manual, that is just under 10%

Pulled last week with about 8% and pulled very well but we have a car not a truck and the lower position of a car does not require a much tongue weight to ride correctly.
While I understand that the average car can't handle as much actual tongue weight as a truck, and that a WD hitch might alleviate some of that, I simply don't understand the thought behind your last sentence.
Shouldn't the ball height be the same in either case?

Also... Is it wise to use a WD hitch on a unibody car? If so why?
Wouldn't a WD hitch move shift stress points forward of the hitch into the floor pan? Perhaps that would only be a problem on a few of the weaker ones?
__________________

__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
trillium


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carrying generator gas rgrugg Modifications, Alterations and Updates 6 06-26-2011 08:21 PM
Carrying a canoe while towing a trailer; recommendations? Des Nolan Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 8 10-16-2010 06:43 PM
carrying bikes Rarebird Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 31 07-27-2009 08:55 AM
Carrying Bikes Lainey Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 8 08-29-2007 04:33 PM
Carrying the generator and fuel.... Lizbeth Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 18 08-12-2006 11:45 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.