Increasing the carrying capacity of a Trillium - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2012, 11:47 PM   #81

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
My son built his own trailer on a frame he modified . The State of Minnesota would not Title or License the trailer . No title No license equals No Insurance
The trailer has been sitting for 8 months in my driveway while He figures out what to do . Hopefully we can find a way to license and insure it by next hunting season . Yes Floyd Minnesota is in the USA
Is title or license required in MN for Campers? Many people I know from MN don't have license plates on their Scamps.Is it size/weight related?
Liability Insurance attaches to trailers from the tow vehicle in every state I have heard of (including MN). I have known people from MN who have built ther own cars and drive them legally everyday, what is the state's objection on your trailer?
Take a look at this discussion from another blog, maybe it can shed some light...
Minnesota Fishing Reports Trailer title [Outdoor Forums - Boats & Motors]

Good Luck!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:48 AM   #82

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
license

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Is title or license required in MN for Campers? Many people I know from MN don't have license plates on their Scamps.Is it size/weight related?
Liability Insurance attaches to trailers from the tow vehicle in every state I have heard of (including MN). I have known people from MN who have built ther own cars and drive them legally everyday, what is the state's objection on your trailer?
Take a look at this discussion from another blog, maybe it can shed some light...
Minnesota Fishing Reports Trailer title [Outdoor Forums - Boats & Motors]

Good Luck!
I put my 2013 Minnesota license tabs on my Minnesota License plate on my Scamp last week .( EXPIRES IN FEBRUARY at a COST OF $13) I have a copy of the trailer title in my Scamp issued by the State of Minnesota . My sons trailer is still sitting in my driveway because Minnesota will not allow it on Minnesota Roads . Floyd , nothing would make me happier than to get it out of my driveway! but the State does not want to title or license it. My daughter is our insurance agent and says they won't insure it for road use because Minnesota says it is not Street Legal
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #83

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I put my 2013 Minnesota license tabs on my Minnesota License plate on my Scamp last week .( EXPIRES IN FEBRUARY at a COST OF $13) I have a copy of the trailer title in my Scamp issued by the State of Minnesota . My sons trailer is still sitting in my driveway because Minnesota will not allow it on Minnesota Roads . Floyd , nothing would make me happier than to get it out of my driveway! but the State does not want to title or license it. My daughter is our insurance agent and says they won't insure it for road use because Minnesota says it is not Street Legal
My comment was actually refering to the denial of a claim after an accident due to an upgrade of a frame or suspension on an existing travel trailer.Your situation is something completely different, I do once again wish you the best of luck dealing with an intractable bureaucracy.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #84

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
In Oregon, which has very strong DOT rules and regs, if something is built to be move down the highway (car or trailer) ... we'd need to take it in to DMV for an inspection and assignment of a VIN. It isn't free however. Does Minnesota not have something similar?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:16 AM   #85

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Inspection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
In Oregon, which has very strong DOT rules and regs, if something is built to be move down the highway (car or trailer) ... we'd need to take it in to DMV for an inspection and assignment of a VIN. It isn't free however. Does Minnesota not have something similar?
I believe so All I know for sure is. he brought it to the Minnesota DMV and they would not issue a license plate for the trailer as currently constructed He was given a list of items to correct, one being to transfer the trailer onto a different frame designed for travel trailers. When he has completed the items on the list he must again have it inspected . As I understand the Minnesota DMV will only give a license to something that has a VIN# so they can legally trace the vehicle. It is my son's problem except it's parked in MY driveway
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #86

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
A PITA for you for sure Steve. VINs come from the manufacturer, but here in Oregon if something is homebuilt, DMV can issue a VIN (although it may be called something else).

Best of luck!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium