Increasing the carrying capacity of a Trillium - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #71

Name: Fred
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Washington
Registry
I just got three quotes in my area (Tacoma/Seattle) for replacing an axle to my trillium frame.

I spec'd a Dexter 3500# with electric brakes, ez-lube. Also, weld bracket, then bolt on new axle

1) $600 for axle 3 hrs labor = $900
2) $600 for axle 6 hrs labor = 1300
3) ~$700 for axle 3 hrs labor = $1000

These seem way out of bounds.

I found quotes on line for the axle:
Humphreys Trailer Parts Division
R053610 Dexter #10 Torflex 2300-3500 LB 5 Bolt Electric Brake E-Z Lube
Trailer Axle Assembly '10TF35-545E-EZ' $429.27

It is possible that shipping would add up to $600.

Welding on the bracket should not take more than 1 hour in my humble estimation.

Anyone got a recommendation on a western Washington welder that will do this work in less than 3 hours =~ $300?

--Fred and Natalie
1978 Trillium 4500 "Bernerwagon"
freddo411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:17 PM   #72

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Fred as you are in Washington, it might be worth a drive to go up to Escape trailers in Chilliwack for the day to have it done. I understand they get it done very fast. Give them a call as they work on all types of fiberglass trailers.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #73

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddo411 View Post
I just got three quotes in my area (Tacoma/Seattle) for replacing an axle to my trillium frame.

I spec'd a Dexter 3500# with electric brakes, ez-lube. Also, weld bracket, then bolt on new axle
When the folks at Outback / Trillium finished my frame mods, which included a 3500# axle, I towed it home. I went over a rather bumpy rail crossing. I saw the trailer jump and twist. After getting home, I went to inspect the interior, the table had been damaged. The wood dowels in the leaf tore out of the leaf. I had the dinette set up as a bed when this happened.

The trailer was empty at the time. I guess I will have to have more load in the trailer when I tow it.

You may want to look at an axle that is slightly less stiff. Do they make a 2500# axle?
Old 02-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #74

Trailer:
If it was a Dexter #10 axle with a 3500 pound maximum capacity, it will have been custom-ordered with the required hubface (axle width), width over mounting brackets and start angle (ride height).

It can also be ordered with any required capacity between 2300 and 3500 pounds (in, I think, 100 pound increments). The amount of rubber in the axle is adjusted at the factory to give the required capacity.

It sounds like you are pointing out that an axle with a big capacity sometimes isn't as good as an axle with the right capacity.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:15 PM   #75

Washington
Registry
Wow. Learn something new everyday. I read thru the Dexter site and they did not make this clear. Makes sense that this would be possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gibbens View Post
If it was a Dexter #10 axle with a 3500 pound maximum capacity, it will have been custom-ordered with the required hubface (axle width), width over mounting brackets and start angle (ride height).

It can also be ordered with any required capacity between 2300 and 3500 pounds (in, I think, 100 pound increments). The amount of rubber in the axle is adjusted at the factory to give the required capacity.

It sounds like you are pointing out that an axle with a big capacity sometimes isn't as good as an axle with the right capacity.

--Fred and Natalie
Old 02-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #76

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gibbens View Post
Well, since the trailer is probably about 2000 pounds empty, and with my crew, we will likely add over 1000 pounds of cargo, a 3500# axle is probably the right capacity. I just need to have a load in it when I tow it. I am thinking water. If I am the one to replace it, in 20 years, I think I will go for a 3000# axle.

The next Trillium 4500 will be for just my wife and I. I will put a front bath room on it, like Tom Young's Trillium 1500. I will put a 2500# axle on that one. If you know of a 4500 with a wrecked gaucho, or a saggy roof that is available for $3000 or less, let me know.

My next post on this thread will have pictures of the final form of my frame, with a fork lift propane tank.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #77

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
My next post on this thread will have pictures of the final form of my frame, with a fork lift propane tank.

What's a fork lift propane tank?

--Fred and Natalie
Old 02-24-2012, 04:47 PM   #78

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddo411 View Post
What's a fork lift propane tank?
See:
Forklift LP Tank
Old 02-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #79

Trailer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Well, since the trailer is probably about 2000 pounds empty, and with my crew, we will likely add over 1000 pounds of cargo, a 3500# axle is probably the right capacity.
Sorry - I wasn't throwing stones at your choice, just trying to illustrate for other readers that an axle with a high rating may not even be as good for a particular trailer as an axle with a lower rating.

Some folks look at the big number 3500 and think "that must be better than a 2500" - when the 2500 will sometimes be better.

I'm surprised that a 2000 pound trailer was bashed around as much as you describe by a 3500 pound axle - did you have a big tongue weight, that would make the load on the axle a lot less than 2000 pounds?
Old 02-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #80

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
trailer license- insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Seriously; do you know of a single bonafide case of someone being denied insurance or payment due to an upgrade in the frame or suspension?
I have been building cars, trailers and light trucks for 40 years including my own chassis designs, and I have never been denied coverage.
I don't know of anyone personally who has been denied coverage either, and I know many builders and hobbyists.
Of course, I live in the U.S.
My son built his own trailer on a frame he modified . The State of Minnesota would not Title or License the trailer . No title No license equals No Insurance
The trailer has been sitting for 8 months in my driveway while He figures out what to do . Hopefully we can find a way to license and insure it by next hunting season . Yes Floyd Minnesota is in the USA
Old 02-25-2012, 11:47 PM   #81

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
My son built his own trailer on a frame he modified . The State of Minnesota would not Title or License the trailer . No title No license equals No Insurance
The trailer has been sitting for 8 months in my driveway while He figures out what to do . Hopefully we can find a way to license and insure it by next hunting season . Yes Floyd Minnesota is in the USA
Is title or license required in MN for Campers? Many people I know from MN don't have license plates on their Scamps.Is it size/weight related?
Liability Insurance attaches to trailers from the tow vehicle in every state I have heard of (including MN). I have known people from MN who have built ther own cars and drive them legally everyday, what is the state's objection on your trailer?
Take a look at this discussion from another blog, maybe it can shed some light...
Minnesota Fishing Reports Trailer title [Outdoor Forums - Boats & Motors]

Good Luck!
Old 02-26-2012, 07:48 AM   #82

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
license

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Is title or license required in MN for Campers? Many people I know from MN don't have license plates on their Scamps.Is it size/weight related?
Liability Insurance attaches to trailers from the tow vehicle in every state I have heard of (including MN). I have known people from MN who have built ther own cars and drive them legally everyday, what is the state's objection on your trailer?
Take a look at this discussion from another blog, maybe it can shed some light...
Minnesota Fishing Reports Trailer title [Outdoor Forums - Boats & Motors]

Good Luck!
I put my 2013 Minnesota license tabs on my Minnesota License plate on my Scamp last week .( EXPIRES IN FEBRUARY at a COST OF $13) I have a copy of the trailer title in my Scamp issued by the State of Minnesota . My sons trailer is still sitting in my driveway because Minnesota will not allow it on Minnesota Roads . Floyd , nothing would make me happier than to get it out of my driveway! but the State does not want to title or license it. My daughter is our insurance agent and says they won't insure it for road use because Minnesota says it is not Street Legal
Old 02-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #83

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I put my 2013 Minnesota license tabs on my Minnesota License plate on my Scamp last week .( EXPIRES IN FEBRUARY at a COST OF $13) I have a copy of the trailer title in my Scamp issued by the State of Minnesota . My sons trailer is still sitting in my driveway because Minnesota will not allow it on Minnesota Roads . Floyd , nothing would make me happier than to get it out of my driveway! but the State does not want to title or license it. My daughter is our insurance agent and says they won't insure it for road use because Minnesota says it is not Street Legal
My comment was actually refering to the denial of a claim after an accident due to an upgrade of a frame or suspension on an existing travel trailer.Your situation is something completely different, I do once again wish you the best of luck dealing with an intractable bureaucracy.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #84

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
In Oregon, which has very strong DOT rules and regs, if something is built to be move down the highway (car or trailer) ... we'd need to take it in to DMV for an inspection and assignment of a VIN. It isn't free however. Does Minnesota not have something similar?

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium