Installation of bike rack on Trillium - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2015, 09:00 AM   #1

Name: jackie
Trailer: Trillium 5500
Saskatchewan
Installation of bike rack on Trillium

Would like to be able to take our bikes with us but our trailer has a utility box installed over the bumper. Any ideas about how to attachma bike rack with this complication?
Jackie Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:21 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Do you have any photos of how it is set up now, Jackie?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:50 AM   #3

Name: Matt
Trailer: Scamp
Georgia
what sort of bikes are you hauling and what vehicle are you using for towing?
Scampsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:57 AM   #4

Saskatchewan
Box in back of trillium

This box is what came with our 1980 5500 Trillium. We haul it with a Toyota 4Runner and want to be able to transport 2 adult Trek mountain bikes. We could get rid of that 'lovely' box!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 03-20-2015, 08:13 AM   #5

Name: Matt
Trailer: Scamp
Georgia
would a roof rack on the 4 runner be an option or is that too high up in the air for you to put up and take down? My wife and I have a roof rack on top of our dodge grand caravan tow vehicle and carry both bikes (usually mountain bikes) there, we are kicking around ideas for better ways to carry the 2 kids 20" mountain bikes on the camper itself but haven't come up with anything we are both thrilled with.
we were both set to go the way of a modified rack on the front of the trailer on top of a storage box until our friend Trev pointed out that carrying bikes there puts you into the blind zone when backing up and could potentially damage both bikes and camper.
Scampsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:16 AM   #6

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 1300
Ontario
Hi Jackie,
I'm currently starting to getting spring fever here and am also planning on adding a bike rack. Last summer I received some forum advice regarding the cargo box on my trillium and have since removed it altogether. My plan is to have a 2 inch hitch receiver welded onto the bumper to allow my hitch mount rack to attach at the rear. I have used a double receiver on the tow vehicle for a trip last year but it was a bit cramped and not advisable in my opinion. BTW 1 UP USA has an awesome bike rack I'm saving for that can go on the tow vehicle roof or the hitch-that's some nice flexibility there. Cheers Randy
Randy C in Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:24 AM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Randy, rear receiver needs to be more than just welded to the bumper. Lot of leverage type stress on a rear bike rack. This topic comes up frequently, try a search here for more ideas and opinions.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:47 AM   #8

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 1300
Ontario
Thanks Mary & Bob-good info
Jackie I'm not trying to steer you down the wrong road--still weighing options myself.
Randy C in Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:51 AM   #9

Saskatchewan
Thanks for the suggestion but I am afraid that our 60plus bodies would find it difficult to lift our bikes up on our vehicles roof-now and more so into the future.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:53 AM   #10

Saskatchewan
Thanks Randy, if you find a good option please let me know and I will do the same.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:40 AM   #11

Name: Brent
Trailer: Casita
California
I use a front mounted 2" receiver which I put my bike rack into, use the new style rack in which the bikes stand upright and a arm holds the bike frame. Works great
Brentsdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:51 AM   #12

Name: Glenn
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Georgia
I tow my Trillium 1300 with a 4Runner, and have added a 2" receiver tube to the rear bumper along with a brace forward to the first crossmember under the camper. You can even buy a receiver tube ready-made long enough to span the distance without piecing something together. If your welder is competent, you should have no problem carrying two bikes.

The only issue I've had is making sure to add enough ballast ahead of the axle to maintain a safe tongue weight. Since I always seem to have plenty of easily shifted bags and boxes of gear, it's easy to tune that. If you're removing that big honkin' box, it'll probably be a wash balance-wise anyway. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1426870302.495896.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	81549

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Martins HeirCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:14 AM   #13

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I also have added a 2" receiver on the back of one of my Trillium 4500's. The bumper was a piece of sheet metal bent into a 4" x 4" square tube and tack welded along the seam that was on the bottom of the tube. That was replaced with a six foot long 4" x 4" 0.125 HSS, that my neighbor had left over from his own 2" receiver project. The receiver tube passes through the 4" x 4" tube to the next cross member.

We have used it for a bike rack, and a cargo platform. Here is a picture of our trailer with WAY too much stuff on the cargo platform. I had to load up water containers and put them in the gaucho to maintain tongue weight.
Attached Thumbnails
Clipboard01.jpg  
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:32 PM   #14

New York
Another consideration is blocking the tail lights. After trying two bike racks on the rear of our Uhaul, one of them bending, I built my own and added a set of lights on the rack. Next project for the Uhaul is a high mount tail /turn / stop light. Did add a high mount to the Casita before heading south in November but don't have a rear rack on it. Hauled the bikes in the truck bed. Considering a tongue mount bike rack for the Casita. Bikes are the biggest pain in the butt to haul around.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:47 PM   #15

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
This is a bike rack I made for our last trip. It is mounted to our tongue box but could be mounted to your box. The rack is simple to make once I came up with a plan.
Attached Thumbnails
bike rack12jpg.jpg   bike rack1.jpg  

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:12 PM   #16

Name: Glenn
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Georgia
Nice work, too! Good to meet you at the rally last week.

What did you use for the upper clamping arms?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Martins HeirCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:33 PM   #17

New York
There is a commercially made bike rack that mounts on the trailer tongue and above the propane tanks. Item #72004 at Camping World. About $250. One could be made cheaper I'm sure. I'm considering doing one for our Casita. May downsize to 11 lb propane tanks to offset the extra weight.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:13 PM   #18

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
The upper arms are from Fiamma the people that make the awnings that come on Scamp and Casita campers

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:33 PM   #19

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
No one says bikes have to be carried outside... not on the front or rear of the trailer or inside the tug.

Depending on the value of the bike(s) perhaps you want to protect that asset. From theft or road rash. What it does, is make the interior of the trailer almost unusable during travel. You can't just pull over and fix a sandwich or use the "facilities." It may be worth it to you or not. This solution is cheap and secures the bike(s).
Attached Thumbnails
InsideBikeRack-2.jpg   InsideBikeRack-1.jpg  

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:32 PM   #20

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
No one says bikes have to be carried outside... not on the front or rear of the trailer or inside the tug.

Depending on the value of the bike(s) perhaps you want to protect that asset. From theft or road rash. What it does, is make the interior of the trailer almost unusable during travel. You can't just pull over and fix a sandwich or use the "facilities." It may be worth it to you or not. This solution is cheap and secures the bike(s).
I've got this same Casita floor plan and I think if someone were to carry bikes inside like this a small change would help. Move the bikes all the way to the rear up against the dinette. Should leave you plenty of room for the facilities. A few sandwiches and drinks in an ice chest would do for a quick bit of chow. I've done this many times but it was in motorhomes, a PITA for sure but did fill the bill.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium