Installed Axle cost Vancouver, Canada - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #1
Member
 
Name: Rick
Trailer: 1973 Bugeyed Boler
British Columbia
Posts: 50
Registry
Installed Axle cost Vancouver, Canada

Looking for some help with someone who can recommend where to take my 73 Boler for a new axle. So far I have found the following rough quotes:

3500LB Dexter 10" brakes

$842.00 Cdn not including install or tax from R and H Hitch, Surrey
$458.83 Usd not including install, no tax from Potter Western, Portland

Has anyone found anyone closer to Vancouver and closer to the 460.00 price.
__________________

__________________
rhkirkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,434
I bought the 45 degree down axle for my Scamp from Potter Western here in Portland. Great people to work with. Sorry that's not the Vancouver recommendation you're looking for... but I did want you to know.
__________________

__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:30 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Greg H's Avatar
 
Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Posts: 1,557
Isn't that $842.00 way high?
__________________
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:44 PM   #4
Member
 
Gordon Kinslow's Avatar
 
Trailer: Boler 1300
Posts: 37
I paid 230 plus tax at the hitch centre in Dartmouth, NS........dexter #9 10 degrees up, wish i went with 0 degrees, but oh well its on now.
__________________
Gordon Kinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
LukeP's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Iowa
Posts: 261
Registry
Paul Neumiester was in the $400+ range, but you'd have to ship it from him... course, you wouldn't have additional fee's for crossing the border.
__________________
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:42 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Rick G's Avatar
 
Name: Rick
Trailer: former Boler, now 1980 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Posts: 366
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhkirkham View Post
Looking for some help with someone who can recommend where to take my 73 Boler for a new axle. So far I have found the following rough quotes:

3500LB Dexter 10" brakes

$842.00 Cdn not including install or tax from R and H Hitch, Surrey
$458.83 Usd not including install, no tax from Potter Western, Portland

Has anyone found anyone closer to Vancouver and closer to the 460.00 price.
I got my 2500 lb axle for my 74 Boler from Paul Neumeister in Ontario, around $400 including shipping in 2009. I installed it myself because it was an exact bolt-on replacement for my bolt-on axle. If you were welding it on, you would have to get a shop to do it if you can't weld yourself, but that should not be very much.

Why 3500 lbs? That is more than twice what the trailer weighs.

Rick G
__________________
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:08 PM   #7
Member
 
Name: Rick
Trailer: 1973 Bugeyed Boler
British Columbia
Posts: 50
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
I got my 2500 lb axle for my 74 Boler from Paul Neumeister in Ontario, around $400 including shipping in 2009. I installed it myself because it was an exact bolt-on replacement for my bolt-on axle. If you were welding it on, you would have to get a shop to do it if you can't weld yourself, but that should not be very much.

Why 3500 lbs? That is more than twice what the trailer weighs.

Rick G
Rick

The axle is 2300 to 3500 pounds from Dexter. Yes more than required, but the #9 Dexter (1000 to 2200 lb) is only available with 7" brakes. I currently have 10" brakes and did not want to reduce. I thought 10" brakes were more common.

Rick
__________________
rhkirkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:38 PM   #8
Member
 
Name: Rick
Trailer: 1973 Bugeyed Boler
British Columbia
Posts: 50
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
Isn't that $842.00 way high?

Greg

That is why the thread. I think we are getting ripped in BC

Rick
__________________
rhkirkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:13 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Rick, does that include the axel and brakes and pads??? reason I ask is I'm looking at redoing just the brakes and got what seemed like a pretty high quote as well about half of your quote.
__________________
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:57 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
BC rip off??- $400 before tax just to replace the brakes!
__________________
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:37 PM   #11
Member
 
Name: Rick
Trailer: 1973 Bugeyed Boler
British Columbia
Posts: 50
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Rick, does that include the axel and brakes and pads??? reason I ask is I'm looking at redoing just the brakes and got what seemed like a pretty high quote as well about half of your quote.
Carol
Yes it does include all. Trailer brakes can be done by any back yard mechanic. Parts from Princess Auto for trailer brakes are cheap. Look it up on their website. I would guess that you should be able to replace shoes etc for under $300 including labour.

Rick
__________________
rhkirkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:43 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Rick G's Avatar
 
Name: Rick
Trailer: former Boler, now 1980 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Posts: 366
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhkirkham View Post
Carol
Yes it does include all. Trailer brakes can be done by any back yard mechanic. Parts from Princess Auto for trailer brakes are cheap. Look it up on their website. I would guess that you should be able to replace shoes etc for under $300 including labour.

Rick
No, my axle did not have brakes, as I did not need them for my light old Boler. My trailer weighed in at 1430 lbs fully loaded with all our camping gear, water, jackstands and everything else we carried, which included 150 lbs on the hitch. My Ford Aerostar minivan had a 5500 lb tow rating.

I see on another thread that Reace from Escape Trailers in Chilliwack is now offering repair services including axle replacement for all makes of fibreglass trailers. Perhaps they could give you a better deal.

Regards,
Rick G
__________________
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:08 PM   #13
Member
 
Name: Rick
Trailer: 1973 Bugeyed Boler
British Columbia
Posts: 50
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
No, my axle did not have brakes, as I did not need them for my light old Boler. My trailer weighed in at 1430 lbs fully loaded with all our camping gear, water, jackstands and everything else we carried, which included 150 lbs on the hitch. My Ford Aerostar minivan had a 5500 lb tow rating.

I see on another thread that Reace from Escape Trailers in Chilliwack is now offering repair services including axle replacement for all makes of fibreglass trailers. Perhaps they could give you a better deal.

Regards,
Rick G
Thanks Rick

I have phoned Escape today. Reace is away until Monday.

Rick
__________________
rhkirkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:18 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Doug Mager's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Posts: 2,536
Registry
You might try here (in Langley). They can custom build or order in whatever you want need. Can't speak on their cost as we were in there for custom spring and rear end hanging....
Attached Thumbnails
Plymouth @ Spring Shop.jpg  
__________________

__________________
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
axle


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cost of axle GenM Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 118 05-19-2011 12:02 AM
2004 ESCAPE 17A for sale ~ Vancouver Canada. Norman D Classified Archives 2 02-18-2011 09:01 PM
cost to have 7 wire rv plug installed in tow vehicle? Brian1 Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 3 08-18-2009 02:27 PM
Finally the new axle is installed! mcnick Modifications, Alterations and Updates 30 05-22-2008 10:58 PM
17' Boler in Vancouver Canada wally robinson Classified Archives 0 08-06-2006 02:09 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.