Installing Brakes on a TT - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #21

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
I would find a spring and chassis shop and let them deal with it. Try an RV dealer and ask who does their axle work. The axle needs to be installed correctly or you will have tire issues just like on a car. Perhaps if they order, you can pick up. Save shipping.
Bottom line. These are the most important parts on your trailer, the axle and brakes. Well, rims and tires are probably the most important, but axle is second!

I took mine to a local shop that specializes in building custom trailers from scratch and repairing frames, axles and running gear. Everyone I mentioned them to in the RV business around here had good things to say. I'd pay a little more than I'd ideally like to and be at rest knowing my axle is straight and will stay that way.

Call up BDA Trailer if your ever around Albuquerque.
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:05 PM   #22

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
I actually did make this same call with my own money.
I concur, I've done it twice. The first was out of need, the second was prophylactic based on the realized benefits of the first.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
To the OP - since you are buying it from a member here, why don't you ask him to look and verify if it has the brake mounting flanges.

If not, take it to a trailer fab or brake/spring shop and ask them for recommendations as to how to proceed. They may have some other options.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #24

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
To the OP - since you are buying it from a member here, why don't you ask him to look and verify if it has the brake mounting flanges.

If not, take it to a trailer fab or brake/spring shop and ask them for recommendations as to how to proceed. They may have some other options.
That's good thinking.

Pictures perhaps?
I have some pics of mine before the operation, I can take some post op. if that's of any use for reference.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:08 AM   #25

Name: will
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Washington, D.C.
So it looks like he already sold it. Can't say I am too upset as it would have been a lot to put brakes on it. I would have spent over $6,000 for a 1998, when new 13' scamps go for about ~$8,200 right now.
wklose99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:18 AM   #26

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by wklose99 View Post
So it looks like he already sold it. Can't say I am too upset as it would have been a lot to put brakes on it. I would have spent over $6,000 for a 1998, when new 13' scamps go for about ~$8,200 right now.
Sorry, I know how disappointing that can be. There are others posted everyday, though, and you may find a better deal closer to you. Plus, now you know a little more about what to look for in the chassis department.

Good luck.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:19 AM   #27

Quote:
So it looks like he already sold it. ...
... when new 13' scamps go for about ~$8,200 right now.
From the timing of both your posts, I thought he was thinking you were buying it. Has he told you it may not be available?

~$8200 is that for a base model or some options?
Old 06-21-2012, 07:23 AM   #28

Name: will
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Washington, D.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
From the timing of both your posts, I thought he was thinking you were buying it. Has he told you it may not be available?

Yeah I emailed him with an offer that would make it a bit more attractive for me to put more cost into the axles, and he informed me a texas couple had bought it full price, sight unseen.
wklose99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #29

Quote:
... he informed me a texas couple had bought it full price, sight unseen.
Maybe I should consider posting my boler American for sale.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #30

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post

Yeah, I may have loaded it with options, but when I was shopping I got a $14,000+ quote for a 13' last year. That might have included shipping, pick up was cheaper.

I paid around $7000 for my 2001. If I could have gotten a new one for $1200 more???!!!! But also, sounds like the older ones are lighter and sit lower, which is better for me given my TV.

Tags
brakes