Installing electric brake controller? - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-25-2011, 09:45 AM   #1

Name: Rob
Trailer: Triple E Surfside
Nova Scotia
Registry
Installing electric brake controller?

Anyone here already install an electric brake controller in a Suzuki Grand Vitara 2010?
I did it previously for a Jeep Patriot 2008 which was pretty easy, but I am having trouble finding a good path from the battery at the front to the hitch at the back, with a mid-point access point for the controller.
Also, trying to find the colour code for the brake on wire. (looks pretty tight up there...)
PS: I moved to the Suzuki from the Jeep because it can tow 3000 lbs, instead of 2000!

Old 04-25-2011, 10:06 AM   #2

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob vanNostrand View Post
Anyone here already install an electric brake controller in a Suzuki Grand Vitara 2010?
I did it previously for a Jeep Patriot 2008 which was pretty easy, but I am having trouble finding a good path from the battery at the front to the hitch at the back, with a mid-point access point for the controller.
Also, trying to find the colour code for the brake on wire. (looks pretty tight up there...)
PS: I moved to the Suzuki from the Jeep because it can tow 3000 lbs, instead of 2000!
Check this out... I think your qestion will be answered with another look at the diagram...

Brake Controller Installation: Starting from Scratch | etrailer.com

Old 05-02-2011, 09:01 PM   #3

Name: Sam
Trailer: 1977 Boler
Kansas
Hello Rob. I just ordered one of these. It is a little expensive, but the peace of mind of not having to hack into any wires on my TV is worth it to me. Plus, it is interchangeable between vehicles, so if you upgrade you can just unplug the controller and move it to the new vehicle. Just food for thought.

As I am typing this I am realizing you most likely already have your controller... oh well. Happy camping. --Sam

Amazon.com: Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy RF Electronic Brake Control: Automotive
Old 05-03-2011, 05:46 AM   #4

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Minnesota
Sam - I like the idea of the tekonsha 90250 but you still have to tap the wiring for running lights and directional signals right, or am I missing something?
Old 05-03-2011, 05:59 AM   #5

Name: Sam
Trailer: 1977 Boler
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDeutsch View Post
Sam - I like the idea of the tekonsha 90250 but you still have to tap the wiring for running lights and directional signals right, or am I missing something?
Morning Don,

Not the way I understand it. As far as I can tell, there is a control module attached near the tongue and a hand controller which plugs into your 12v outlet in the passenger compartment. I don't think (and I have done quite a bit of reading on this product) any wires have to be cut anywhere, simply plug and play. I should receive this in the mail in the next day or to and will give a full report on the product. (If I do have to end up tapping into a wire, I'm gonna be mad)

--Sam
Old 05-03-2011, 06:08 AM   #6

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Minnesota
Ok, please keep us posted on what you learn - thanks
Old 05-03-2011, 06:14 AM   #7

Nova Scotia
Registry
Wow that IS a cool innovation. I was thinking it would be nice if the heavy 10 Guage wires didn't have to come in and out of the dash device. I assume it reads the brake signal from the tail lights?
Unfortunately I have already installed mine using the conventional "tap off the battery" method.
I ended up drilling a hole through the firewall for the wires that lead nicely into the under dash area above the brake, then another small hole in the plastic of the dash at the top left, which is where I located the controller.
Thanks for posting.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:41 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Don this is a Brake controller, it has nothing to due with the running lights or directional signals.

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDeutsch View Post
Old 05-18-2011, 07:03 PM   #9

Nova Scotia
Registry
I can affirm that for the 2010 Grand Vitara, the Green/White stripe wire is the correct wire for the "brake on" signal into a electric brake controller.
They seems to have used that color code for the last five years or so.

I affirmed it was the brake feed with my meter. The wire is very small guage, but I used a crimp on connector tap off it to feed my electric brake controller. Space under there is tight but do-able!