Is a Power Steering Cooler Needed? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Is a Power Steering Cooler Needed?

Hi all - it looks like we are upgrading soon to a Casita Spirit Deluxe. We are having a towing package added to our Honda Odyssey, which includes the transmission cooler and brake package. One thing they also want to install is a Power Steering Cooler. Is this really necessary? I am not understanding the connection between towing and cooling the power steering, although I realize the vehicle will be steering a longer, heavier load.

Any thoughts on why it is necessary?

Dianne
Dianne Dohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The power steering (hydraulic type) heats up due to high engine rpm while going up a grade. Many newer vehicles have electric power steering - no cooler needed.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I never heard of it and have never heard of someone having a problem with their power steering because of pulling a camper.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #4

Dianne, is the power steering cooler part of the original equipment Odyssey towing package? That would be a good hint.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:14 PM   #5

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
My Frontier has a factory power steering cooler. I don't remember if they all came with it, or if it was part of the tow package that year.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #6

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Having towed an with an Ody for 3.5 years I think can give you some ideas on that. being as how the Ody is front wheel drive you will need a wdh and when you put a wdh on it throws some of the weight back on the trailer wheels and some on the front wheels for leveling it out, traction, and braking . The added weight puts much more work into the ps system which in turn heats it beyond what the safety margin is. The 1st- 3rd generation Odys had both transmission and power steering issues to begin with so they need all the help they can get. We did fine with ours (a 2005) for the first couple of years, the 2nd year we got home from an 11,000 mile Southwest trip and a week or so later we had to put a new transmission in it, the following year it was a cv joint. The Ody is a great family car but was a very marginal tow vehicle. we ended up using the ody as a family car and found an 01 F150 w/5.4 engine to pull with, we also have the Casita SD. Not trying to scare you but just our experience.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Tom - the Honda dealership says it's part of the towing package, but also say it is $350 extra plus labour. Which seems steep to me.

Bill - thanks for sharing your experience. Knowing everyones story is helpful.

Dianne
Dianne Dohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianne Dohei
Tom - the Honda dealership says it's part of the towing package, but also say it is $350 extra plus labour. Which seems steep to me.

Bill - thanks for sharing your experience. Knowing everyones story is helpful.

Dianne
If Honda recommends it, it probably needs it. There may be an after market one for less. I'd ask over at the Ody forum.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
The one in my Dodge leaks, been looking for a replacement. Auto parts store told me to see the dealer, dealer wants about 175 more than I'm willing to pay. Searched online, found a generic PS cooler with 3/8" fittings for $20. Piping it in to the PS pump might be a trick if it's not set up for it. Can't see how much it cools, it's only about 8" long, bent into a "U" with some small fins on it. I think I found it at autozone.com if that helps.
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #10

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianne Dohei View Post
Dianne
Dianne, My honda did not have the Honda towing pkg but it did have a chincy Honda ps cooler I added another one theirs was a bent finned tube about 12" long. I left it on and added an aftermarket one to it. Don't spare the horses when you install the tranny cooler, go big you can google these things up and see what is available Here are an example

Power Steering Oil Cooler - product summary - Bing Shopping

B&M 70268 SuperCooler Automatic Transmission Cooler