Is it safe to tow? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2016, 11:59 AM   #21

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Anybody know where NASCAR gets 'left hand nitrogen'?
They get the leftovers from the Formula 1 guys (but only in the years when the most of the tracks end up being right-handed)
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 03:02 PM   #22

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I would hope that all those folks that are recommending you tow it as is are willing to pitch in the pay for the repairs if a tire blows out. Otherwise I would get new tires put on before I got on the road.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:39 PM   #23

Name: Steve
Trailer: Fleetwood Prowler
Alabama
my 2 cents

I read all the replies. lots of good advice and I have a couple more.
- inspect the tires for any severe cracking. If none, and they hold air (or nitrogen), I would go with them.
- consider purchasing some bearing buddies at Wal-Mart or Auto Zone. Bring your grease gun and load those suckers up with grease. Even a semi-bad bearing will go quite a while with enough grease! Plus, the excess grease will smoke and warn you if the bearing gets hot.
- have a spare with you and a decent jack. (sorry to state the obvious)
- if you think you are going to buy new tires anyway, you could pull the wheels before you leave and go get them.
- Check the condition and pressure of the spare that should be with the unit.
- once you pull out, immediately check your trailer brakes by sliding your brake controller. You should do that every time with a new (or reloaded) trailer anyway to check the adjustments on your controller for the load being pulled.
- but try the brakes and keep your ears open for any unusual noise.
A separate note about nitrogen. (I am a retired Blackhawk helicopter pilot and Blackhawks have nitrogen filled tires). The reason for nitrogen is two fold. All nitrogen means no ambient air. Ambient air has some humidity or water in it. with nitrogen, you get no water - thus less rim rusting and oxidation of the metal and tires on the inside. Also, oxygen molecules are much smaller than nitrogen molecules - thus there is less seepage through the carcass of the tire and less pressure loss. Here is a boring article on the subject! Nitrogen in Tires. The Benefit of Nitrogen in Car, Auto, and Truck Tires
SteveSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:01 PM   #24

Name: Ace
Trailer: 16' Casita 13' Scamp and Teardrop
Chicagoland
Bigfoot

Edit: Misread post. Didn't realise you were considering new tires at the service center. Should check to make sure that the tires you need are in stock. Some sizes are hard to get.

IMO I would replace the tires before I try to travel 400 miles. The tires on the Scamp I bought looked good until I took them off. It had set 15 years in a barn after it's last use. I am so happy I chose to put on new treads before I pulled it out of the barn. You are going to replace them anyway why not before you hit the road.

The bearings can be checked with dust covers off or just pull one apart (not a hard thing to do) I would make the time to thoroughly check things out before getting on the road. Not only could you be sitting on the side of the highway but "God forbid" have some type of accident.

Safe not sorry would be my advice.
aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:28 PM   #25

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
It may depend on how much time you have to phutz around. A lot of sellers just want you to get the trailer out of there after the papers have been signed, though of course some will say, "Take all the time you want." Thirty-five miles isn't much, and eight-year old tires that were stored indoors might be OK. If you've got time, check the tires and the bearings visually, and jack up each wheel and spin it with the brakes connected to see if they work (assuming you have a controller). If not, even you you don't have a brake controller, if it's level roads, you should be able to get out of there, drive 30 mph, and get to the shop. Worst case, you have a flat and have to pull over. Do make sure the lights work, though.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:32 PM   #26

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I would hope that all those folks that are recommending you tow it as is are willing to pitch in the pay for the repairs if a tire blows out. Otherwise I would get new tires put on before I got on the road.
The original poster, BPS, was asking for advice. He didn't ask anyone to indemnify his trip and I don't see any reckless responses. If anything, many responses were overly cautious.

I'm in the camp of go ahead and tow it, or, if he's concerned, bring new tires and wheels, and install them before going. The tires are only eight years old and they have been stored inside, out of the sun and extreme temperatures. Now the weather is relatively cool and the tow can be done at moderate speeds.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:51 PM   #27

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPS View Post
I am going to look at a circa 2000 21' big foot trailer that has been parked, and not moved, in a heated garage since 2008.

Original tires (apparently hold air), have maybe 4K miles on them, bearings last packed in 2007. Previous owner only took it out 3 times, current owner took it out once.

Trailer is about 400 miles from me so I'm arriving in late afternoon to have a look and if it all checks out, complete the sale. Pictures show an immaculate trailer. I'm considering having a mobile RV service person meet me there to assess the Trailer but we have spoken and he does not do bearing on the side of the road and want it in his shop.

Location is on a secondary road about 35 miles from any Service center. I know I need new tires, new or repacked bearings, brake and propane inspection etc.

Question is if I can carefully pull it to the service center behind my truck or if I should call a flat deck and get it towed. Mobile service guy does have the ability to tow.

I'm thinking tow and my wife thinks i'm nuts.

I know we can assess things at the scene but I'm a bit OCD and like to have a plan
Look closely at the tires on the inside and outside. I store my Casita in a garage on boards so the concrete won't sap the moisture from the rubber, not heated, this year we pulled it out to dewinterize it and there was a big bubble on the side of the tire. Tires were only about 5 years old. Look for cracking on the sidewalls as well. If all looks good drive slow.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:22 AM   #28

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Just as soon as all those folks who advocate for the Logan's Run tire replacement method pitch in to pay for all the tires replaced too early.

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:53 AM   #29

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPS View Post
Location is on a secondary road about 35 miles from any Service center. I know I need new tires, new or repacked bearings, brake and propane inspection etc.

Question is if I can carefully pull it to the service center behind my truck or if I should call a flat deck and get it towed. Mobile service guy does have the ability to tow.
(emphasis added)

Bill,

As I understand it, your question and proposal is to tow 35 miles, not 400 miles.

If the tires are original to the trailer, you are talking around 17 years old. It's always a lottery as some people have successfully pulled or driven on rotten tires, while others have had blisters and other failures on tires that were much newer and initially appeared to be OK.

For 35 miles on secondary roads at moderate speeds in cool winter conditions I would probably be willing to get in touch with my wild side and take the chance following a satisfactory visual inspection.

The thought I have not seen mentioned in this thread is that you might consider investing in a tire pressure monitoring system. I just invested in one for our trailer.

Our tow vehicle has a factory TPMS system. The wife's car does not.

The TPMS I purchased easily allows monitoring either the car or the trailer (or both, which really doesn't apply in our case). Because of this, I feel like the investment will provide more benefit to us.

A TPMS is perhaps not crucial here but is just another option for you to consider. Good luck with your prospective purchase!

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:04 AM   #30

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
(emphasis added)

Bill,

As I understand it, your question and proposal is to tow 35 miles, not 400 miles.

If the tires are original to the trailer, you are talking around 17 years old. It's always a lottery as some people have successfully pulled or driven on rotten tires, while others have had blisters and other failures on tires that were much newer and initially appeared to be OK.

It's a personal choice.

Just another thought to consider.
Still others throw away perfectly good 3-4 year old tires and can't avoid the added expense or the risk of initial defects. True, its a personal choice, but better made with more fact than hysteria...Just another thought to consider.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:31 PM   #31

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Still others throw away perfectly good 3-4 year old tires and can't avoid the added expense or the risk of initial defects. True, its a personal choice, but better made with more fact than hysteria...Just another thought to consider.
Hey Floyd! It's nice to see you on the forum! I've enjoyed a lot of your posts and perspectives from someone that apparently has a great deal of knowledge and experience with various vehicles and equipment.

I edited my earlier post in this thread a little bit and noticed that you had "sort of" quoted me. When I say "sort of", what I mean is that you deleted one sentence in one location and another six sentences in a different location, then strung the remaining parts together. I'm not sure what you had in mind but I think it really distorts what I had originally written.

I can't imagine why you would rearrange my words when there is an entire alphabet and thousands of other words available for you to enjoy the freedom of saying just exactly whatever it is that you would like.

Anyway, I've enjoyed a lot of your posts, most especially when you are telling your own story in your own words. I'll look forward to seeing more.

Regards,
Mike

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:57 PM   #32

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Just as soon as all those folks who advocate for the Logan's Run tire replacement method pitch in to pay for all the tires replaced too early.

Floyd is 17+ year old tires too soon to replace?
Old 10-26-2016, 07:15 PM   #33

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Are you going to replace the tires when you get home?
If so take a jack and two tires mounted on new rims.
The cost of mounted tires vs mounting new tires on the old rims is not very different.
If you are going to stress out over it then swap wheels and tires.
Sell the old ones on Craigslist to make up the difference
I wouldn't worry much about getting 35 miles to a service center (see below) on the tires you have.
Go slow and make sure the tires are correct aired to the correct pressure
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:18 PM   #34

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I towed this

From Mineral Wells, Texas to Mobile, Al. in the 110*F summer heat.
They said the tires were "New" but they were car tires.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:49 PM   #35

Colorado
Quote:

I wouldn't hit the road. I'd only go very slowly like 30MPH to the nearest tire store. This way they can check things and change the tires. If a tire store is very far then I wouldn't tow it there.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:53 PM   #36

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
I towed this

From Mineral Wells, Texas to Mobile, Al. in the 110*F summer heat.
They said the tires were "New" but they were car tires.
Car tires can't handle the weight and can fail easily.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:11 PM   #37
BPS

Name: Bill
Trailer: 25B21RB Bigfoot & 4500 Trillium
British Columbia
Registry
Thanks everyone, I inflated the tires as pulled it to the shop. Got the tires and rims changed,brakes checked, bearings done and an axle swap. Now am very happy owner of a 2001 25b21rb bigfoot.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
BPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:16 PM   #38

Name: Ace
Trailer: 16' Casita 13' Scamp and Teardrop
Chicagoland
Congrats on your purchase and glad all went well. Now the fun begins!!
aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:45 AM   #39

Name: Steve
Trailer: Fleetwood Prowler
Alabama
That is awesome. Have fun.
SteveSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:37 AM   #40

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Got a picture?

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote