Is it safe to tow? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-26-2016, 10:53 AM   #29

Name: Mike
Trailer: Sold 2012 Casita FD 17 - 2018 Escape 21 on Order - 2010 Audi Q5
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPS View Post
Location is on a secondary road about 35 miles from any Service center. I know I need new tires, new or repacked bearings, brake and propane inspection etc.

Question is if I can carefully pull it to the service center behind my truck or if I should call a flat deck and get it towed. Mobile service guy does have the ability to tow.
(emphasis added)

Bill,

As I understand it, your question and proposal is to tow 35 miles, not 400 miles.

If the tires are original to the trailer, you are talking around 17 years old. It's always a lottery as some people have successfully pulled or driven on rotten tires, while others have had blisters and other failures on tires that were much newer and initially appeared to be OK.

For 35 miles on secondary roads at moderate speeds in cool winter conditions I would probably be willing to get in touch with my wild side and take the chance following a satisfactory visual inspection.

The thought I have not seen mentioned in this thread is that you might consider investing in a tire pressure monitoring system. I just invested in one for our trailer.

Our tow vehicle has a factory TPMS system. The wife's car does not.

The TPMS I purchased easily allows monitoring either the car or the trailer (or both, which really doesn't apply in our case). Because of this, I feel like the investment will provide more benefit to us.

A TPMS is perhaps not crucial here but is just another option for you to consider. Good luck with your prospective purchase!

Old 10-26-2016, 11:04 AM   #30

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
(emphasis added)

Bill,

As I understand it, your question and proposal is to tow 35 miles, not 400 miles.

If the tires are original to the trailer, you are talking around 17 years old. It's always a lottery as some people have successfully pulled or driven on rotten tires, while others have had blisters and other failures on tires that were much newer and initially appeared to be OK.

It's a personal choice.

Just another thought to consider.
Still others throw away perfectly good 3-4 year old tires and can't avoid the added expense or the risk of initial defects. True, its a personal choice, but better made with more fact than hysteria...Just another thought to consider.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:31 PM   #31

Name: Mike
Trailer: Sold 2012 Casita FD 17 - 2018 Escape 21 on Order - 2010 Audi Q5
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Still others throw away perfectly good 3-4 year old tires and can't avoid the added expense or the risk of initial defects. True, its a personal choice, but better made with more fact than hysteria...Just another thought to consider.
Hey Floyd! It's nice to see you on the forum! I've enjoyed a lot of your posts and perspectives from someone that apparently has a great deal of knowledge and experience with various vehicles and equipment.

I edited my earlier post in this thread a little bit and noticed that you had "sort of" quoted me. When I say "sort of", what I mean is that you deleted one sentence in one location and another six sentences in a different location, then strung the remaining parts together. I'm not sure what you had in mind but I think it really distorts what I had originally written.

I can't imagine why you would rearrange my words when there is an entire alphabet and thousands of other words available for you to enjoy the freedom of saying just exactly whatever it is that you would like.

Anyway, I've enjoyed a lot of your posts, most especially when you are telling your own story in your own words. I'll look forward to seeing more.

Regards,
Mike
Old 10-26-2016, 06:57 PM   #32

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Just as soon as all those folks who advocate for the Logan's Run tire replacement method pitch in to pay for all the tires replaced too early.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:15 PM   #33

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Are you going to replace the tires when you get home?
If so take a jack and two tires mounted on new rims.
The cost of mounted tires vs mounting new tires on the old rims is not very different.
If you are going to stress out over it then swap wheels and tires.
Sell the old ones on Craigslist to make up the difference
I wouldn't worry much about getting 35 miles to a service center (see below) on the tires you have.
Go slow and make sure the tires are correct aired to the correct pressure
Old 10-26-2016, 07:18 PM   #34

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I towed this

From Mineral Wells, Texas to Mobile, Al. in the 110*F summer heat.
They said the tires were "New" but they were car tires.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:49 PM   #35

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Just as soon as all those folks who advocate for the Logan's Run tire replacement method pitch in to pay for all the tires replaced too early.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:53 PM   #36

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
I towed this

From Mineral Wells, Texas to Mobile, Al. in the 110*F summer heat.
They said the tires were "New" but they were car tires.
Car tires can't handle the weight and can fail easily.
Old 11-06-2016, 02:11 PM   #37
BPS

Name: Bill
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
Thanks everyone, I inflated the tires as pulled it to the shop. Got the tires and rims changed,brakes checked, bearings done and an axle swap. Now am very happy owner of a 2001 25b21rb bigfoot.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 11-06-2016, 06:16 PM   #38

Name: Ace
Trailer: 13' Scamp and Teardrop
Illinois
Congrats on your purchase and glad all went well. Now the fun begins!!
Old 11-07-2016, 07:45 AM   #39

Name: Steve
Trailer: Fleetwood Prowler
Alabama
That is awesome. Have fun.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:37 AM   #40

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17, purchased from original owners May, 2016
Massachusetts
Got a picture?

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:16 PM   #41
BPS

Name: Bill
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
the new rig
Old 03-03-2017, 01:50 PM   #42

Name: Mark
Trailer: looking
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwise View Post
With nitrogen in the tires, they won't be sensitive to temperature changes like normal air is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwise View Post
In a previous lifetime, I was a pilot for Boeing, and the tires on the airplanes were subject to extreme temperature changes - it's cold at 43,000 feet, and it's hot in desert areas. Our tires were always filled with nitrogen.
Guess you didn't take any chem or physics in your previous life. Nitrogen is affected by the very same gas laws as air, in the very same way.

Airlines would use nitrogen because:
1) It is easier to get as a dry gas. You don't want a blob of condensate water freezing onto the side-walls, and then becoming a unbalanced mess upon touch down.
2) While not an inert gas, it is more inert in the catastrophic failures that would endanger a plane. The lack of HP oxygen won't feed a fire or decrease the lifetime of rubber or similar materials in the tire.

There are many video's out there that show the danger of welding on a tire rim with a filled mounted tire attched. Same thing could happen on an airplane, a small fire could turn the tire into a big bomb.