Is it safe to tow? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2016, 09:16 PM   #41
BPS

Name: Bill
Trailer: 25B21RB Bigfoot & 4500 Trillium
British Columbia
Registry
the new rig
BPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 02:50 PM   #42

Name: Mark
Trailer: looking
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwise View Post
With nitrogen in the tires, they won't be sensitive to temperature changes like normal air is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwise View Post
In a previous lifetime, I was a pilot for Boeing, and the tires on the airplanes were subject to extreme temperature changes - it's cold at 43,000 feet, and it's hot in desert areas. Our tires were always filled with nitrogen.
Guess you didn't take any chem or physics in your previous life. Nitrogen is affected by the very same gas laws as air, in the very same way.

Airlines would use nitrogen because:
1) It is easier to get as a dry gas. You don't want a blob of condensate water freezing onto the side-walls, and then becoming a unbalanced mess upon touch down.
2) While not an inert gas, it is more inert in the catastrophic failures that would endanger a plane. The lack of HP oxygen won't feed a fire or decrease the lifetime of rubber or similar materials in the tire.

There are many video's out there that show the danger of welding on a tire rim with a filled mounted tire attched. Same thing could happen on an airplane, a small fire could turn the tire into a big bomb.
Rock knocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:57 PM   #43

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
A lot of times mechanics have high pressure nitrogen bottles for servicing struts etc. The same can service tires.
Back in the day NASCAR teams used manifolds of nitrogen bottles to power their air wrenches at 180 psi. (And they did zip).
Back then Goodyear used air.
Nitrogen is good for tires, but I use 80% nitrogen myself.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:46 PM   #44

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
A lot of times mechanics have high pressure nitrogen bottles for servicing struts etc. The same can service tires.
Back in the day NASCAR teams used manifolds of nitrogen bottles to power their air wrenches at 180 psi. (And they did zip).
Back then Goodyear used air.
Nitrogen is good for tires, but I use 80% nitrogen myself.
I use the approximately 80% nitrogen mixture myself, as it is so easy to find, and very inexpensive.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote