Is it safe to tow? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2016, 07:15 PM   #1
BPS

Name: Bill
Trailer: 25B21RB Bigfoot & 4500 Trillium
British Columbia
Registry
Is it safe to tow?

I am going to look at a circa 2000 21' big foot trailer that has been parked, and not moved, in a heated garage since 2008.

Original tires (apparently hold air), have maybe 4K miles on them, bearings last packed in 2007. Previous owner only took it out 3 times, current owner took it out once.

Trailer is about 400 miles from me so I'm arriving in late afternoon to have a look and if it all checks out, complete the sale. Pictures show an immaculate trailer. I'm considering having a mobile RV service person meet me there to assess the Trailer but we have spoken and he does not do bearing on the side of the road and want it in his shop.

Location is on a secondary road about 35 miles from any Service center. I know I need new tires, new or repacked bearings, brake and propane inspection etc.

Question is if I can carefully pull it to the service center behind my truck or if I should call a flat deck and get it towed. Mobile service guy does have the ability to tow.

I'm thinking tow and my wife thinks i'm nuts.

I know we can assess things at the scene but I'm a bit OCD and like to have a plan
BPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:27 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I would tow at a reduced speed (not 70 mph) with hazard flashers on. Fill the tires and make sure you can call the mobile guy in for a tow should it be needed before you get there.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Trust your own judgement but,
I took this home (600 miles)...
[ notice the green valve cap!]
Attached Thumbnails
Shelly#8 001.jpg   Shelly#8 004.jpg  

Shelly#8 002.jpg   Shelly#8 005.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:12 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
You can pop off the dust caps and get an idea if the grease is still useable. If you want specific tires buy them before hand or contact a shop near the trailer and ensure they have what you want on hand. Buy a good RV road service policy before hand (Good Sams or AAA RV policy). If you get on the road and decide you need to tow it just call for a tow on your policy. You need to be on the road I don't think they tow from a homeowners yard. Take a portable compressor jack and 4 way lug wrench and like Charlie said take it slow.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:33 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
The only possible problem I see is tires. They will have flat spots and may not survive the trip, but I'm betting they will. Just air them up and travel at a reasonable speed. Make sure you have a spare too.

There is no reason for the bearings to have a problem. Sitting in a dry and heated garage does not ruin bearings.

Good luck! You should be fine.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:58 PM   #6

Name: Bill & Pam
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 17.5
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Trust your own judgement but,
I took this home (600 miles)...
[ notice the green valve cap!]
The green valve cap normally means that the tires have been filled with nitrogen, which is good. With nitrogen in the tires, they won't be sensitive to temperature changes like normal air is.

But... maybe the previous owner just put on a green cap because that was what he had on hand.
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:03 PM   #7

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwise View Post
The green valve cap normally means that the tires have been filled with nitrogen, which is good. With nitrogen in the tires, they won't be sensitive to temperature changes like normal air is.

But... maybe the previous owner just put on a green cap because that was what he had on hand.
Nitrogen is 78% of the atmospheric gas. All tires filled with normal "air" are 78% nitrogen filled. What do you mean they won't be "sensitive to temperature changes"? All gasses expand with temperature increase.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:08 PM   #8

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Nitrogen is 78% of the atmospheric gas. All tires filled with normal "air" are 78% nitrogen filled. What do you mean they won't be "sensitive to temperature changes"? All gasses expand with temperature increase.
In a previous lifetime, I was a pilot for Boeing, and the tires on the airplanes were subject to extreme temperature changes - it's cold at 43,000 feet, and it's hot in desert areas. Our tires were always filled with nitrogen.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:32 PM   #9

Smith Valley, Nevada
Here's a pretty good article on the subject from Tirerack. I don't see the benefit of filling severely outdated tires with nitrogen just to get home.

Tire Tech Information - Clearing the Air About Nitrogen Tire Inflation
Old 10-24-2016, 10:45 PM   #10

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Here's a pretty good article on the subject from Tirerack. I don't see the benefit of filling severely outdated tires with nitrogen just to get home.

Tire Tech Information - Clearing the Air About Nitrogen Tire Inflation
Agreed. Perhaps those were just green caps, without nitrogen in the tires. Or not.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:17 AM   #11

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Maybe, you could borrow a set of tires and wheels from someone locally, just in case you needed them.

If you are really worried, you could buy new tiers and wheels and take them with you. It's likely you'll be buying new tires and wheels soon anyway. The price of a professional tow is probably more than the cost of new wheels and tires. Check out recstuff.com.

I personally would be inclined to just go with what is there now, avoid excessive speed, check pressure and temperature frequently.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:54 AM   #12

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Some additional thoughts here.
A very few 2000 bigfoots were the millennium edition. They are not two piece molded construction they are constructed from panels on a frame. They are worth much less than the molded ones. The only millennium units I'm aware of were 20 foot units, so 21 is probably a molded unit.

You'll need a brake controller if you don't have one. According to the trailer weights in the real world thread, the 21 Bigfoot that is listed weighs 6360 pounds and 1160 of that is on the tongue .
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:45 AM   #13
BPS

Name: Bill
Trailer: 25B21RB Bigfoot & 4500 Trillium
British Columbia
Registry
Thanks everyone for the great comments, wife is a lot less dubious about my plan to pull it, and I was actually more worried about the bearings than the rubber.

gotta love this forum
BPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:32 AM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
given the low mileage and parked inside, I think the tires and bearings are good to go. Just check and adjust pressures.
Hit the road, and stop to check hub temps after 50 miles or so.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:54 AM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I would get tow insurance before you go and program the help number in my phone. Air the tires and check the lug nut torque. Hook up and check the lights and make sure they're all good to go. I would be off and running. Hopefully you have a few miles of road to drive before jumping up to Highway speed. That way they warm up and round out. I would try to limit my speed to 55mph.
I would probably make sure the trailer battery is holding a charge or replace it. I wouldn't want my car's alternator going full tilt trying to charge a derelict battery with no water in it for 400 miles. 8 year old battery not being maintained will need replacement anyway so bite the bullet and replace it.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:29 AM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
...I would probably make sure the trailer battery is holding a charge or replace it. I wouldn't want my car's alternator going full tilt trying to charge a derelict battery with no water in it for 400 miles. 8 year old battery not being maintained will need replacement anyway so bite the bullet and replace it.
Or disconnect it. I don't think this is a permanent arrangement, just a "get it home" deal.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:07 AM   #17

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwise View Post

I know the myth, that was why the irony!
Actually, the use of nitrogen in tires started with road racers who needed dry air for tire inflation at the track. Using an air compressor outdoors in changing weather conditions will condense water from the air and collect it in the tank. This water would then be transferred to the tire. Wet air expands and contracts when heated and cooled much more than dry air.
Bringing a tank of nitrogen provides a stable dry source of air which results in a more predictable and stable pressure range in the racecar's tires.
Using nitrogen in street tires instead of a reasonably controlled air compressor is just silly, leaving nitrogen users with no alternative for tire pressure maintenance except to return to the tire store for adjustments.
Cornering 12 times every 4 minutes at maximum speed makes a lot of friction which imparts a lot of heat into a tire. If you drive on the street hard enough to "need" nitrogen, they won't let you drive for long!
BTW, the practice had fallen off over the last years that we were racing SCCA.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:31 AM   #18

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I would tow it as is, being very aware of what may happen. Especially if it is only 35 miles. Worst case scenario is that you have a flat. Do ensure the spare holds air. Do tow it straight to the tire shop, and don't take any chances.

I parted with my 2009 Escape 19 last year, and the build of my 2017 Escape 5.0TA is not happening until early next year. As I had lots of planned trips for this year, I bought a temporary trailer, and ended up with a 1995 Rustler 22'. This trailer was bought new, pulled out to a 2 acre lot along a river, and parked there for the next 21 years. It had a roof built over it, and a 3 season room built off the passenger side. The folks who bought the lot this year did not want the trailer, and listed it for sale. After seeing it, and the like new condition of many components, I made an offer, and got a great deal. Worked well for us this year, but looking forward to selling it and using our new Escape next year.

The tires had wheel covers on them, and when we pulled the covers off the tires looked brand new. I knew well enough not to judge them by the looks being that old. I made sure there was about 10 lbs pressure less than max in each tire, as well as the spare, and towed it straight to my tire shop, about a 90 minute drive. They could not believe the tires were 21 years old, but a quick check of the date stamp proved them to be.

This sounds to be a great trailer, the best of luck with the purchase of it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:36 AM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPS View Post
..... Question is if I can carefully pull it to the service center behind my truck or if I should call a flat deck and get it towed. Mobile service guy does have the ability to tow.

I'm thinking tow and my wife thinks i'm nuts.

I know we can assess things at the scene but I'm a bit OCD and like to have a plan
To me, this is a no brainer - I'd 'do' whatever the wife suggests - Better to have a pleased partner, than 'blame' whatever happens to your new acquisition on anyone else's advice. - - YMMV
Old 10-25-2016, 11:39 AM   #20

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
racers who needed dry air for tire inflation at the track. .
Anybody know where NASCAR gets 'left hand nitrogen'?