Is it safe to use a goose-neck adapter on the Scamp 5th wheel? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2019, 01:29 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Featherlite
Iowa
Is it safe to use a goose-neck adapter on the Scamp 5th wheel?

Hello everyone.

While searching for a 7' wide camper I found a Scamp fiver. But I dont want a permanent 5th wheel saw horse installed in my truck bed.

Has anyone safely used, or seen a goose-neck adapter used on a scamp fiver?

Thanks!

Edit. Guess I should have searched better..

https://www.scampowners.com/forums/s...seneck-adapter

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ter-76562.html

I guess I know it's possible now because Ive read gooseneck adapters put more stress on the fiver frame.. Problem is,, how do I pull it back home since nothing is bolt on and I have a goose neck ball..
rebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 02:31 PM   #2

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
What TV do you have?
It is possible in most cases to install a "gooseneck" hitch which would be easily removable and lighter than an actual 5thwheel hitch.

I have a 3/4 ton 1997 dodge cummins with a goose neck ball.

Can you elaborate please?
Old 11-11-2019, 10:19 AM   #3

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
TX
Gooseneck on Scamp

When I bought my 1987 Scamp the hitch was damaged so I replaced it with a gooseneck. It works great. Much easier than the stock hitch.
Robert H Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:24 AM   #4
GOB

Name: Michael
Trailer: Scamp 19
Missouri
Gooseneck hitch

Standard gooseneck hitch won't work, 2 5/16 ball vs 2 inch on the Scamp. The new style Scamp hitch fits on standard 5th wheel rails so you don't have to leave the hitch in the bed of your truck all the time.
GOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:14 PM   #5

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Here is a Fifith Wheel to Gooseneck setup conversion fabricated by another member here on this site for their Scamp 5th wheel trailer.

This conversion worked well!
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp 5th to goosemeck hitch conversion 1.jpg   Scamp 5th to goosemeck hitch conversion 2.jpg  

Scamp 5th to goosemeck hitch conversion 3.jpg   Scamp 5th to goosemeck hitch conversion 4.jpg  

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:11 PM   #6

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
When I bought my F-350 to pull my Bigfoot with it came with a gooseneck ball. A fifth wheel hitch would have been $950 more. It did alright pulling the Bigfoot from the receiver hitch. I don't know if it would be safe to pull a Scamp with the gooseneck or not but I haven't had any problems pulling another gooseneck trailer. I couldn't find any place to hook my equalizer hitch though.

See attachments:

The tractor was, uh, kind of heavy.
I did weigh the hay. It was 902 lbs per bale.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20181023_095639234.jpg   IMG_20181023_144536417.jpg  

IMG_20181024_101519949.jpg  
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 01:51 PM   #7

Iowa
Thanks guys.

This specialized hitch scamp decided to install screws the resale ability, because I might have driven south to look and buy had I been able to hooked on and towed it.
Old 11-16-2019, 03:24 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Talking Scamp hitch

I got both versions. The newest model pins into rails permanent to truck bed. As for resale, altering what scamp sells is a bad idea. Most people won't rely on a home engineered unit.
barrry smithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 07:04 PM   #9

Name: Pete
Trailer: Trading up
Virginia
We were in the same boat. We have an F350 with a B&W turnover ball that we use for a stock trailer and a flatbed. We didn't want to install another hitch or buy a smaller truck.

I found an Andersen hitch that connects to the ball and makes the "fifth wheel" hitch. It still took some mods to make it work with the 19 Scamp, as was, it was too close to the bumper and I had very little turning space. The sleeve that holds the ball on the Andersen hitch had to be moved 10" toward the rear to allow clearance between the rear of the truck and the front of the Scamp. I've found this to be perfectly safe, it pulls and handles well.

With your truck, you might have to add some lift between the frame & axle of the Scamp. Ours had 3" of lift and we had to replace the 13" tires with 15" tires. That gave enough lift to tow pretty level.
Karisuesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 11:34 AM   #10

Name: Tony
Trailer: 2015 19 Scamp DLX
British Columbia
S-19 Gooseneck

I am struggling along designing and building a hitch system for my "new" 2015 S-19. I am going to do the 4" lift + 15" wheels and building a subframe instead of spacers and then I will cut off the "Scamp Hitch" system weld on two 3x4" steel angle bar flanges onto the steel plate below the forward berth which will allow me to bolt on any sort of Hitch I want to use or build. I am going to build a 2 5/16" "Gooseneck" adjustable height hitch with a 12-16" setback which keeps the load on the Factory "Puck" hitch system. ( rated at 16,000#) This will give me use of the majority of the trucks bed and I can use the Goosneck " top rail for a kayak or Bicycle rack system, and I will still have the pivot point above the rear axles which make it easy to jackknife it in the bush. Plus any stock high sided pickup with a 2-5/16 ball will be able to pull it stock.

Will post pics of the project...
Seacap10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 08:39 AM   #11

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
5th wheel ball

just go talk to a farmer he will tell you his luck with bed mounted balls! Everything much simplier and he for the most part knows simple!

Called the KISS principle!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp